2,456 results
All reviews japan town soaking tub japantown mall japanese decor japanese mall japanese garden fillmore street corner king room small balcony self parking pacific heights golden gate park per day coffee maker few blocks street noise fisherman's wharf
Reviewed 11 October 2018

We stayed at the Kabuki while attending the HSB festival and it very much fit our rock and roll vacation. Great Japanese whisky at the bar, really cool and inviting lobby. My only negative comment is that the rooms are not designed for people who aren't couples, or who have luggage. There are no shelves or drawers, and no doors on the very shallow closet. The door to the shower (which is way bigger than it needs to be, and has a very large useless tiled bench) was glass, and across from a large mirror, so I got to know my friend a lot more than I expected too, no matter where I sat in the room when she was showering. Also, there is only one light for the entire "water area", so middle of the night bathroom breaks are an adventure in night vision. The coffee in the room is good, but very strong, and the only milk provided is that powdered white material. Seems to me that for the price we pay for a room, you should be able to get aseptically packaged half and half. But all of these are small complaints compared to the overall vibe. location, and look of the hotel. It's one of a kind, for sure.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled with friends
PaulR7630, Hotel Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2018

Dear msinoway,

Thank you for your review and rating us 5 STARS especially in SERVICE!

I am glad you like our vibe and our location - Japantown... recognized by many as one of the best kept secrets of SF... engaging, experiential and safe. Glad also that you like our bar as many locals do ---hope you were able to try our Hanakatoba (Language of Flowers)drinks that are created with our Japanese Sake. We also have a Noren - a traditional Japanese curtain that can be temporarily installed upon request... this shields the lights from the bathroom and provide a little bit of privacy, especially for non-couples.

We look forward to you next visit but in the meantime, we wish you safe travels.

Reviewed 11 October 2018 via mobile

Stayed here as part of a 3 stop USA trip. Beautiful hotel located in the Japanese section on San Francisco. Didn’t eat the food at the hotel so cannot comment on it. Bar was lively and open to outsiders I think.
Lots of authentic Japanese restaurants within walking distance and $8/9 for a Uber to the piers.
Our room was huge very nicely decorated and we had a view of the Chinese embassy.
The shower door in our room had gaps round it so when you showered the water leaked through onto the tiled floor making it slippery and dangerous. Lucky my wife spotted this while I was in the shower and put a towel down.
I understand hotels can’t accommodate everyone and everything but we were a little disappointed the receptionist on check in didn’t acknowledge our honeymoon unlike the other two hotels we stayed at on our trip.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael W

Dear Michael W,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel.

Thank you for making us part of your special occasion... I am happy that you enjoyed our neighborhood - Japantown.. recognized by many as one of the best kept secrets of San Francisco -- engaging, experiential, safe and accessible to other tourist attractions of San Francisco.. Yes indeed, our neighborhood also abounds with the different Asian and local flavours at Filmore street.

I am so sorry about the bathroom doors and know I've asked our engineering office to repair it... more importantly, a heartfelt apology from our front desk team members for not being able to acknowledge your special occasion. We hope you can give us another chance when you come back for a possible anniversary celebration?

Until then... we wish you the joys of life!

Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

Am just leaving Hotel Kabuki after a month’s stay. The staff was super-attentive and friendly. The hotel has recently been renovated and is beautifully designed. The beds are amazing. Rooms are small but nice and have refrigerators. Had my pet dog with me and she was welcomed and given treats. (Thank you, Selena!) The pet fee is a little high, but totally worth it for the kind treatment. Hated to leave and will definitely return.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled on business
PaulR7630, Hotel Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2018

Dear AlmaC10,

Your 5 STAR review means a lot to all of us here at Hotel Kabuki - THANK YOU!

We shall miss you as well.. being here in the hotel for a long period of time have made you part of our Kabuki Family and on top of that, we also got to know your dog and shall miss the daily morning walks at our garden...

With family, we do not say goodbye... only so long!

Be well, stay well safe travels to your next destination AlmaC10.

Reviewed 8 October 2018

Everything visible/tangible about this hotel was excellent. Clean, stylish rooms, great staff who were very kind and easy to work with, and a great location around authentic restaurants and shops. However, I was disappointed to see that there was a $27/day amenity fee for wifi, the fitness center, and "water for hydration." This was on top of a ~$400/night stay. I didn't make use of the wifi and fitness center (and I'm unsure why water is now an add-on to a stay rather than a necessity) but I was still charged. I would stay here again for business but it's not likely I'd stay here on a personal stay due to this price.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled on business
PaulR7630, Hotel Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2018

Dear Elysha C,

Thank you very much for your 5 STAR RATINGS in SERVICE, ROOM and LOCATION --- my team and I truly appreciate it.

Our Guest Amenity Fee is very competitive with other hotels in the city who charge between $30 to $50 per day.... and there are of course other lifestyle/business offerings other than what you have already mentioned in your review --- printing/business services, shoe shine, unlimited in-room coffee, yoga and cardio exercises in our gym, use of bicycles, etc. Perhaps next time, you will have a chance to experience these offerings.

Safe travels to your next destination Elysa C...

Reviewed 8 October 2018

This hotel has a relaxed, easy vibe that you feel as soon as you walk in. The lobby looks like a very hip, upscale, living room of a beautiful loft apartment. Bookcases, funky pieces of art, couches and chairs with a minimalist yet comfortable vibe. Lots of books! And record albums with a turntable you can use yourself to check out the vinyl collection.
My room was beautiful and huge! I was in the second building, on the fifth floor, which was the top floor. I was delighted that my door was one of the ones that was painted with cool artwork. Inside, the art on the wall was beautiful, the bed was super comfortable with down pillows and comforters, and there was a desk and a big screen TV. There wasn't a dresser, but that was okay. The room had a safe and a mini-fridge, and a Keurig type coffee maker. I wish it had a microwave. The shower was big with sliding glass doors, and the housekeeping was excellent.
I was there for a four week stay, and it was very comfortable.The staff was very friendly and helpful. There are beautiful outdoor spaces and gardens to enjoy -- even a koi pond. The bar area was hopping on the weekends! The neighborhood was very clean and interesting, with an outdoor Peace Plaza just down the street, and a lot of good Japanese restaurants nearby. Even the local Chinese restaurant was delicious! There is a movie theater and cute shops within walking distance, and it's just a short ride to Union Square, Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39. the Exploratorium, the Embarcadero, and other cute, popular neighborhoods of San Francisco. There are ballrooms and meeting rooms downstairs, a large fitness room,a yoga studio, a grand piano, a grizzly bear and a white horse. I would definitely stay here again, and I think it would be a great place to have a business retreat or a family event, where everyone could stay on site.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business

Dear Dawn M,

Thank you so much for your 5 STAR Review of our hotel.

I am glad you have enjoyed, during your four weeks of stay, everything that we have to offer.... You have become part of our Kabuki family and will miss you very much. I have shared your review with all of our employees who appreciate your kind words.

Yes indeed, Japantown is recognized by many as a best kept secret of San Francisco --- engaging, experiential, safe and abounding with restaurants offering Asian and local flavours.

On your next stay, please let us know in advance so we can arrange, as a preference, a dresser and/or a micro-wave in your room.

Safe travels Dawn M.