“Better than expected”
Review of Music City Hotel

Music City Hotel
Ranked #116 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 31 August 2011

When we pulled up to the hotel late aroune 10 PM (after calling ahead to confirm a late check-in would be possible), we buzzed the number posted on the door--multiple times--with no response. We tried calling the hotel's phone number, which routed us through the same intercom system. Hearing the thumping bass from the rehearsal space situated below the hotel, we were ready to leave, despite having pre-authorized the room charge. Another guest approached the door and after explaining the situation, she let us in. We found the desk clerk was indeed there, but she hadn't heard the buzzer or seen us on the security camera because she was busy with other guests. This was rather troubling as we would have had to find another place to stay late at night if not for the other guest entering. But the clerk apologized, and after we confirmed that the band rehearsals stopped at 11 PM and checking out our room, we decided to stay.

Room: It was actually much nicer than I expected, and I was satisfied with the cleanliness. There was a bit of a musty smell, but I suppose that's to be expected with older buildings. You get the sense some thought has been given to decor and amenities (mini-fridge, microwave, water cooler in the hallway). Sure, the TV was broken and we could only hear the audio, but we weren't in San Fran to watch TV.

Bathrooms: Not the most pleasant, but if you've stayed in hostels, nothing out of the ordinary (save for the thong underwear a fellow guest had left hanging on the towel rack--ew!). There wasn't much space to put your stuff down in the shower rooms, but the showers were hot with good water pressure.

Location: The hotel is within walking distance of many restaurants, bars, the downtown core, and public transportation. The hotel does not have parking and lots in the area cost at least $20/day. It was impossible to find free street parking at night so we used the lots.

Noise: I was initially concerned about the music rehearsal space downstairs, as the bass guitar reverberated through our walls, but the noise stopped each night at 11 or shortly thereafter. If you sleep earlier, this isn't the place for you. There was also a lot of street noise and we could hear the phone ringing in the front office in the early morning. Earplugs are a must.

Staff: We decided to extend our stay by a night because we were having such a great time in San Fran and they made this very easy for us. The manager was very friendly and actually gave us a tour of the music rehearsal spaces after my musician boyfriend expressed curiosity. Also, I accidentally left my cell phone behind and they kindly mailed it to me at no cost.

Overall, we were pleasantly surprised by this hotel and felt it provided good value for the money, especially since we were having difficulty finding budget accommodations in San Fran on short notice.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank msdalloway
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 21 August 2011

I found the place to be very antisocial, offering no form of common area so those staying were often sitting together out the front as there was nowhere else to go once those you were sharing a room with have gone to bed. The rooms were clean but small and cramped with limited toilet and shower facilities for most dorms. The noise pollution was loud as the hostel is based above a rehersal studio which doesn't close until late in the evening. Overall these are only a few issues which I would normally overlook but the appalling rudeness of a particular staff member truly ruined the visit for us, entering our room at 1am, making alot of noise and behaving innappropriately and extremely loudly in our dorm room until gone 4am, truly UNACCEPTABLE behaviour. Overall I would highly recommend staying anywhere other than here!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Carrie-marie176
Reviewed 4 June 2011

Overall we enjoyed our stay. We had the room with 2 bunk beds, which is advertised as shared - as it's a Hostel. There were 2 of us and nobody joined us throughout the 7 days we stayed.

The bathrooms were cleaned daily and the showers are very decent. It also has washing machines for travellers that need to use the laundry. There is a microwave and water machine to use. There was a fridge in our room as well, accompanied by an old-skool televison.

To get into the Hostel/Hotel you need a keycard. This is very good for security.

The music practice area below has a curfew of 11pm i think, and this is strict and they keep to the rules so by 11pm it will be quiet. .

The manager Sean is a very nice guy and will help you with any problems you have.

I urge you to visit Chinatown as much as possible when you're in San Francisco... It is truly epic! Watch out the old Chinese men don't spit on your feet!!

Room Tip: The 4-bed shared room is fine.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank vivelavinyl
Reviewed 1 June 2011

Before going to the Encore Express I was really scared because I had never stayed in a hostel before and the reviews about rats and bed bugs really scared me. However, when I got there I found out it wasn't bad at all. The room had more than I expected: queen bed, fridge, tv, sink, chair, table, mirrors, etc. I didn't have any bad experience in the hostel at all. The only down side was that it doesn't have an elevator but as a mentioned before I had already read some reviews so i knew about this. The recording studio next to the hostel didn't bother me at all (and I'm a light-sleeper). I could barely hear them, except for one day and I stayed a whole week. Overall it was a great experience for me and I will definitely go back. The restroom was really great the first couple of days, then the shower started to get clogged up, that was the only thing that I didn't like.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Inap23
Reviewed 13 May 2011

I am staying for a long time.
I checked out the next week.
Badly awful drums sounds was daily night,
but soon become routine.

Hood function is compromised, the window frame was broken, and toilets.
Is that quality of the United States?
or just nervous me.

but the room is more then low price spacious.
And sometimes the smell drifting of a cannabis. lol

Room Tip: Bottle is required. because the window tuck.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo