“Great value and comfort”
Review of Cova Hotel

Cova Hotel
Ranked #95 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Monterey, California
“Great value and comfort”
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I travel to San Francisco every week on business. I stay in the COVA Hotel for 2 or 3 nights each week. I have stayed in about 25 different San Francisco hotels over the past five years. About a year ago I discovered the COVA and made it my regular choice. The things I like about the COVA are: great value, modern and comfortable rooms, helpful and friendly staff (the best I have found in SF), free breakfast, free shuttle, close to Union Square and downtown, international clientele, location next to "Little Saigon" where there is a wide selection of restaurants with delicious Vietnamese food. I have even brought my wife with me for weekends in San Francisco and she loves the COVA too. The only negative is the nearby Tenderloin district; but just ask the desk staff and they will tell you what streets to avoid.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter.
1 Thank Gary H
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Nice Hotel with friendly staff. Location? Not perfect, but it's Downtown, right? I don't think that anyone can find any better place for the price those guys charge:) I am planning my next visit to SF for October and I think I will stay there again

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alexander K
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 20 March 2012

There's homeless people everywhere, the surrounding area smells terrible, the front desk are incredibly unhelpful, there's no room-service or on-site dining. In fact the onsite restaurant was padlocked shut with big industrial chains - it looked like a crime scene.

What a terrible idea to stay here. Avoid this [--] at all costs, guys!

I called downstairs to complain about being put in the wrong room, then not being given access to the 'free wifi', then for not having been given food menus to order from local restaurants. The front desk proceeded to hang up on me after dismissing most of my responses.

I've never dealt with such unprofessional staff and unhelpful people in my life. I can't wait to get out of this dump.

1 Thank Sunny D
Joyce P, Guest Satisfaction Ambassador at Cova Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Hello Sunny D,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and it’s our pleasure for having you here at the Cova recently.

We are located in the tenderloin, which is very unique part of San Francisco. Our front desk agents are so knowledgeable at advising our guests which area or streets to avoid. We also have a complimentary shuttle that would take you to the main parts of the city. All of the time, our Wi-Fi access and password is written on our guests key card holder, and you can find it also to our information binder inside our guest rooms. Unfortunately, the restaurant was owned and managed independently before, and I apologize if you not informed that the restaurant had been closed. However, I am happy to inform you that the hotel is in the process of taking over it.

We pride ourselves on customer service, I would be grateful to get all the information from you directly. Please contact me at joyce@covahotel.com or at 415.771.3000 ext. 1127.
Thanks again for taking time sharing your thoughts and once again, thank you for staying at the Cova Hotel.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I loved this hotel. Very clean quality rooms. Spacious, comfortable beds, clean renovated bathrooms and tea and coffee making etc.

It really had everything and also included breakfast. Probably for about $100 less per night than similar SF hotels.

Now you do have to be aware about the area it's in though. As someone who lives in an inner-city area myself I was fine with it. But I can see how a family or an elderly couple who are used to suburban or rural living would find it confronting.

However if you are saving $100 per night you can afford to pay for door-to-door cabs to and from the hotel and still come out well in front!

So I believe it is definitely worth it - perfect choice for young travellers used to city living.

Not ideal location for elderly or families but if you just remember to take cabs you won't even notice you're in a dodgy area!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Ben_melb
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 13 March 2012

The hotel is great along with the service, shuttle is on schedule like clock work making it's daily rounds as scheduled. The staff is very helpful and accommodating, rooms are modern and fresh with a cool breeze through the rooms window. Surrounding area is undesirable around 4pm, but fresh early in the morning. Shuttle driver is very knowledgable and may turn you on to hidden gems such as different restaurants, nightlife, cultural locations, and recreational hot spots.

Room Tip: Contact Joyce reservation specialist at the Cova Hotel to best meet your needs
1 Thank George1121