“A unlikely but very good restaurant. ”
Review of Chowder House

Chowder House
Ranked #82 of 282 Restaurants in Quincy
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Reviewed 30 March 2017 via mobile

The restaurant doesn't appear like much from the outside (nice pansies) but very nice inside. We always like a restaurant with table cloths and relaxing background music.

We stopped for lunch on our way from Boston to the Cape and weren't disappointed. We both had the roast beef Sandwich special with fries and a onion dip which was excellent. We will stop the next time an opportunity presents itself.

Reviewed 24 April 2016

Although the Service and setting are nice the food is OK but missing that extra something. The flavor is just not anything to really mention. I'm not sure that I would go back.

Reviewed 19 October 2015

The waitress was very attentive at this baby shower we were at. Most people liked their food. I thought that my haddock was too dry but it wasn't awful. The Ziti Alfredo with broccoli was excellent and had plenty of tasty chicken also. There were two other functions going on at the same time, so this place must have a very good reputation locally. The room was somewhat crowded.

Reviewed 21 August 2015

Prior to this visit, I had only ever been here for large group functions. I knew the food was good, but didn't know how large the portions were or that the place itself was the favorite spot for many of the area's more mature dinner goers.

The night started with what appeared to be Pepperidge Farm crackers and a cheese spread, followed by fresh baked bread and butter after we put our order in. We decided to take a chance on the $35 for two entrees and a bottle of wine special. There is a pre set list of the entree options for this deal. I found a citrus salmon that sounded good and my boyfriend chose the baked seafood casserole. Both came with veggies and a choice of potato. In fact the plates were so packed it was almost overwhelming. The food was good, fresh, overall tasty as I had experienced at functions.

The wine was underwhelming... which we sort of expected. Had we known we could have upgraded to a non-house wine (house wines were the $7 to $8 a bottle variety) we likely would have done so. This option was not advertised well, which is unfortunate. The truth is that the deal itself was still decent even if you just look at the dinners. We left a good bit of the wine behind as it simply was not good enough to bother drinking.

The service was fine, and certainly speedy in regards to the food coming out. We had to ask for glasses of water, and there was one tiny pesky fly that came in and out of our table's airspace. When we arrived the dining room was well populated and we were the youngest folks there aside from some of the staff, (and we're not that young). The atmosphere is pretty much what you may expect, a little dated, but not distractingly so, and it has some of the New England charm. The folks were all pleasant and cheery and when we left (which was perhaps 8pm or so) there were only a couple of parties left in the dining area, speaking again to the more mature crowd that seems to favor the place. Perhaps the story is different on other nights, as this was a weeknight after all. But if you're looking for a nearly private and belly filling dining experience, hit them up later in the night, and don't bother with the house wine.

Reviewed 10 August 2015

My mom and I went here for lunch on Satuday. Something new for us. We got a fishermans platter and a ceasar salad to share. We do this a lot as were out and about and don't want to deal with leftovers. I make sure I leave a really good tip though. The fish was very very fresh. the salad was way more than one person should eat. I told my mom, make sure I take a pic... and we both forgot.. again... lol it was worth a picture, the whole meal was very good. this place is like 5 restaurants in one. so check it out on line and see.

2  Thank Susan P

Been to Chowder House? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK