“Good food, but not great everything else”
Review of Chowder House

Chowder House
Ranked #46 of 291 Restaurants in Quincy
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Reviewed 21 August 2015

Prior to this visit, I had only ever been here for large group functions. I knew the food was good, but didn't know how large the portions were or that the place itself was the favorite spot for many of the area's more mature dinner goers.

The night started with what appeared to be Pepperidge Farm crackers and a cheese spread, followed by fresh baked bread and butter after we put our order in. We decided to take a chance on the $35 for two entrees and a bottle of wine special. There is a pre set list of the entree options for this deal. I found a citrus salmon that sounded good and my boyfriend chose the baked seafood casserole. Both came with veggies and a choice of potato. In fact the plates were so packed it was almost overwhelming. The food was good, fresh, overall tasty as I had experienced at functions.

The wine was underwhelming... which we sort of expected. Had we known we could have upgraded to a non-house wine (house wines were the $7 to $8 a bottle variety) we likely would have done so. This option was not advertised well, which is unfortunate. The truth is that the deal itself was still decent even if you just look at the dinners. We left a good bit of the wine behind as it simply was not good enough to bother drinking.

The service was fine, and certainly speedy in regards to the food coming out. We had to ask for glasses of water, and there was one tiny pesky fly that came in and out of our table's airspace. When we arrived the dining room was well populated and we were the youngest folks there aside from some of the staff, (and we're not that young). The atmosphere is pretty much what you may expect, a little dated, but not distractingly so, and it has some of the New England charm. The folks were all pleasant and cheery and when we left (which was perhaps 8pm or so) there were only a couple of parties left in the dining area, speaking again to the more mature crowd that seems to favor the place. Perhaps the story is different on other nights, as this was a weeknight after all. But if you're looking for a nearly private and belly filling dining experience, hit them up later in the night, and don't bother with the house wine.

Reviewed 10 August 2015

My mom and I went here for lunch on Satuday. Something new for us. We got a fishermans platter and a ceasar salad to share. We do this a lot as were out and about and don't want to deal with leftovers. I make sure I leave a really good tip though. The fish was very very fresh. the salad was way more than one person should eat. I told my mom, make sure I take a pic... and we both forgot.. again... lol it was worth a picture, the whole meal was very good. this place is like 5 restaurants in one. so check it out on line and see.

2  Thank Suedaisy77
Reviewed 8 April 2015

Travelling on business, and found this gem of a restaurant by accident. We ordered the most unbelievable pizza we've ever had. It was the Mediterranean Chicken, and came over-loaded with chicken, artichoke hearts, olives, baby spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, fete cheese, mozzarella cheese and pesto. It was unbelievably good, with a thin, crisp dough. So much food, we made dinner and lunch out of it.

3  Thank Fish4Stripers
Reviewed 27 February 2015 via mobile

Passing by on highway and found this place on TA. Dinner started with complimentary cheese spread and really good warm bread. I had two huge charbroiled pork chops ,($16.95) that were delicious. Wife had stuffed scrod ($14.95) that was very big and fresh if a tad bland. Sides of baked potato, grilled asparagus and butternut purée were excellent. Server was very friendly. Overall a really good dinner at a reasonable price. I would come here often if I lived nearby.

1  Thank facedoc
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Dear Sirs,

What a most pleasant experience to have found your establishment!! Easily reachable from
downtown Boston and to top it, the food was delicious with a wide variety of choices and the prices most reasonable. I would happily encourage a journey to the Chowder House as a most desirable
destination. As Julia Child would have said had she had the opportunity ,considering the
amenities offered- What a good investment of effort and money!!

5  Thank denarch