“Brief but memorable visit”

Bluenose Inn - A Bar Harbor Hotel
Ranked #11 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Portland, Maine
“Brief but memorable visit”
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I left Boothbay Harbor at around eight thirty, headed to Bar Harbor on business. As I headed north, I called the Bluenose Inn, just to make sure someone would still be there waiting for me when I arrived later that night. The phone was answered promptly and most friendly. They assured me that the desk was staffed twenty-four hours; grateful, I told them that I would be arriving around eleven, she made a note and wished me safe travels. Fast forward three hours, I made it to Bar Harbor, despite the GPS sending me through rural back roads. I would have to say the most memorable part of the journey was crossing over the Penobscot Narrows Bridge, as it felt as though I was driving through the sky. I made the turn up the hill to the Bluenose and instantly new I had chose the right place. Parking quickly, I made my way into the beautiful lobby. The check-in process was quick, and very friendly, with the young lady going above and beyond to share her knowledge of the area. The next time I am in Bar Harbor, I will certainly take advantage of this inn's wonderful amenities, including two pools and a spa, but alas, the late hour precluded most leisure activities. Registered and welcomed, I headed up to my room; I admit I was a bit sad that I didn't have a chance to enjoy the menu, as it made for a delicious read on my way to the third floor. My room was spacious, immaculately clean, and well appointed. I was able to catch the end of the Celtics game while enjoying the large, comfortable king bed. The gas fireplace was a nice touch, and though it was dark, I looked forward to the view from the deck in the morning. A hot bath completed the evening, and off the dreamy land. In the morning, the shower was hot with great pressure, the soaps, etc, were of great quality; it was really clear that someone had taken their time choosing these items for their guest's benefit. I enjoyed a cup of coffee brewed in-room and pulled the curtains to reveal the pièce de résistance- the view from the large deck was breathtaking; a panoramic view of Frenchman's Bay. My only regret about my trip is that I could not stay longer. I am already planning to bring my wife with me on the next trip; she will enjoy it just as much as I did. I will be sure to book a massage for her at the spa! Can't wait for the next visit!

Room Tip: I am sure all rooms in this fine resort are great, but the view towards the bay is priceless.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
TheBluenoseInn, Marketing at Bluenose Inn - A Bar Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience on TripAdvisor. I'm delighted you had such a positive stay in spite of the short time you were with us. I will absolutely pass your kind words on to the rest of the staff-we all strive to make our guests happy and welcome and it's wonderful to hear about it when we succeed. We are looking forward to seeing you AND your wife next time and hope it will be soon! We also appreciate the photos you shared-you really got some great shots.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Reviewed 6 June 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in a pristine and roomy suite that overlooked the ocean and islands. We enjoyed a night in the Great Room, which had a classic upscale piano bar feel to it, and visited the indoor pool and jacuzzi. The pool area is beautiful, best hotel pool we have seen, complete with pillars and chandeliers. This was the perfect choice for our stay, surrounded by a relaxing and luxurious environment at a reasonable price.

• Stayed June 2012
I'm delighted you enjoyed your visit to The Bluenose. The indoor pool and The Great Room are two of my favorite places on our property! The chandeliers and classic simplicity of the pool area make it a wonderful place to relax and enjoy some down-time. The old world elegance of The Great Room is a refreshing change from our fast-paced lives. I hope you'll have the opportunity to visit us again soon!
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 2 June 2012

We arrived very late (around 9:45 pm), and the girl at the front desk was extremely friendly, saying she was getting a little worried about us - haha (it was a really foggy night, so I guess the worry was warranted). She gave us tips on driving around the island, where the best seafood/Italian places were, etc. The main building is extremely nice, with complimentary cookies and coffee in the lobby, and live music in the great room. We were slightly disappointed with the room and its amenities, as they were not quite as updated as the main building appeared to be. The room was still clean, however, with the exception of two spiders and a tick we found in the bathroom. None of my family believed the beds were particularly comfortable, and we were woken up on two occasions around 5:30 am because of something that sounded like hot water heating up. Apart from the room, THE BREAKFASTS WERE AMAZING; we would stay here again for the breakfast! Oh, one more thing, the owner personally writes thank you notes to all of his customers apparently, which is a very nice touch. I would have given it 5 stars if the Bluenose had a AAA Three Diamond Award, simply because I believe it is not quite equal to other Four Diamond Hotels/Resorts my family has stayed at. Nonetheless, this is still a great hotel and should not be overlooked when planning a trip to Bar Harbor.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Travis A
hospitality04609, General Manager at Bluenose Inn - A Bar Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to the Inn. I sincerely apologize for the problems you encountered with the insects in the bathroom. Unfortunately despite the rest of the room being clean, this was certainly not acceptable. Regarding the bedding, we do have different types of bedding in certain rooms so hopefully we can give you more comfortable accommodations in the future that meets your needs.
I have passed on your comments about breakfast to our staff and they are obviously elated.
To hopefully make amends, please call me directly for a future reservation and we will give you complimentary lodging for one night and assure you of the bedding that you desire. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Jim Ash
General Manager/Co-Owner
Michigan
Reviewed 30 May 2012

We were in Bar Harbor for three nights and really wanted to stay at a B&B but booked this hotel instead. Great choice!! It has all of the amenities of a B&B except that Breakfast which is included is your choice from a menu and breakfast is available for 3.5 hours each morning versus the usual B&B 1 hour time slot. This allowed us to get up and get into our day. The rooms were updated, clean, the view outstanding and the desk clerk as helpful as can be. Instead of being in a B&B in the middle of town with a lot of noise, we were within walking distance of town, up on a hill with a very nice view. If you want a view of the Ocean you need to request the main building.

Great experience!! Highly recommend it

Room Tip: Go with a suite if you can afford it. Really can spread out. Also if you want a view you want to be...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
TheBluenoseInn, Manager at Bluenose Inn - A Bar Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Bluenose during your recent visit to Bar Harbor, I'm so glad you enjoyed your time with us. We do everything we can to make your stay exceptional, it's wonderful to hear about it when we succeed! I appreciate you taking the time to comment upon your visit and hope to see you again soon.
Wells, Maine
Reviewed 30 May 2012

We arrived and were greeted with warm smiles, cookies and coffee! Our room had two queen beds, a couch and two chairs and a gas fireplace. There was a desk and tv, clock radio, iron and ironing board and hairdryer and robes!! There was an open area with two sinks and a very spacious vanity. The bathroom was also very roomy. But the best part of the room was the balcony and its fantastic views of Frenchman's Bay. Breakfast was included and it was a short walk to the Looking Glass Restaurant. Don't miss this place because the view from the top is incredible! There is also an outdoor firepit and it is a great place to end the evening. Tuesday evening there was a manager's wine and cheese party and we got to meet Jim Ash. He does a great job running the Bluenose. He is very visible and personable. This place is so clean. There are two pools, one indoor and one outdoor. Hot tub and sauna............memorable time!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: a room in the main building with a waterview
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
I'm so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. One of the best things about visiting during May is having breakfast at the Looking Glass included, it's a definite perk of coming at the traditionally slower time of year! As often as I see them, I never get tired of the panoramic vistas from both The Bluenose and The Looking Glass Restaurant. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor and hope you'll visit again soon.