“Didn't Match Its Website Descriptions; Absentee Innkeepers” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chiltern Inn

Chiltern Inn
Ranked #29 of 31 Bar Harbor B&B and Inns
Peacedale, RI
“Didn't Match Its Website Descriptions; Absentee Innkeepers”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

We booked the Garden Room Apt and found the room didn't match the way it was described online. The innkeepers should have disclosed that the room was undergoing a renovation -- spackled, unpainted areas in the bathroom, raw wood front steps, no exhaust fan in bathroom. The gardens were overgrown and barely existent in the rear. No one greeted us upon arrival and learned by a letter left for us that we could have maid service only if requested and could use the pool by appointment only because the owners needed hours to warm it up (in August). The microwave, fridge and floor were dirty. Remarkabley, not once did we see an innkeeper or employee during our weekend stay. We called the owner to complain about the extremely loud hot water heater located next to the bed that switched on at 2:14 a.m. and ran for a half hour. He promised to turn it off but neglected to do so. (He said it was the air conditioning unit but it was marked "propane' and looked like a hot water heater to us.) The website boasts the inn's sophistication but the sign on our room door was handwritten on paper and covered with tape. Nor was the inn quiet as described -- we were awakened by Little League warm-ups and game at nearby ball fields. We go to Bar Harbor every summer and won't be going back to this dud.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank HappyGirl1001
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
nashville
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2010

I booked a room for three night at the Chiltern Inn on Expedia on a last minute getaway for my husband's 50th birthday at the height of tourist season in Bar Harbor, Maine. I felt lucky to have gotten a room when I booked it because it looked nice online, the rate seemed ok, and everything else in Bar Harbor was booked. I called the inn the evening of booking to confirm and to see what room we would be placed in, but could only reach what seemed to be a clueless answering service attendant. I called twice that night and once the next morning and was told someone would call back, but no one ever did. I did receive two email confirmations from Expedia, so felt sure that we were fine even though I could not confirm with the inn directly.
When my husband and I arrived at the inn, there wasn't a person anywhere--very creepy. The inn had been left completely open. My husband and I looked around for quite a while and found a number to call. When we called the number, the man on the other end told us that we didn't have a room and that Expedia had screwed up. He claimed that as soon as he found out of the booking, he had called Expedia and told them of this and that Expedia was supposed to have called me to inform me of this. He offered no help in finding us other lodging and was unapologetic. I never did physically see anyone at this inn although we were there for a good 45 minutes to 1 hour. I called Expedia who kept me holding for over an hour and offered no help in finding other lodging either. They claim they have no record of the inn calling them. After I made a bit of a fuss, the man at Expedia offered me a $50 coupon for something in the future. Meanwhile my husband and I are calling all over Bar Harbor trying to find lodging and spending 2-3 hours of our valuable vacation time, not vacationing. We finally did find a room which turned out to be far nicer with an ocean view with not one drop of help from either Expedia or the owner at the Chiltern Inn.
I have used Expedia many times in the past for hotel, cars, and airfare and expected much much more from you in a situation like this. I trusted Expedia to represent responsible/reputable companies/hotels, etc. And I would have expected that if something like this happened, that you would be there to offer help. I received nothing of the kind. I am very dismayed and disappointed in the complete lack of service. Lesson learned.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lorriepatterson1

Travellers are raving about these Bar Harbor hotels

Springfield, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2009

On the edge of downtown area, so quiet and serene, yet conveniently located within a short walk of all Bar Harbor restaurants and shops. Only three rooms for rent in this historic B&B, each beautifully furnished in 18th century style with large 4-post beds. Friendly people, family owned and operated. Luxurious indoor pool. High ceilings in comfortable sitting areas and library to enjoy evening chats and meet other people. The owners go out of their way to make you feel welcome.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
denver, co
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2009

Stayed at the Chiltern this past summer with my wife and two young children. Joan and Dan could not have been more accommodating, ensuring that the garden apartment was clean and orderly and that all of the baby gear we had rented from a third-party was delivered and set up for our use. Enjoyed the heated pool and the on-site home theatre was a nice touch. The location, too, is excellent, not in the heart of town (less traffic and noise) but a very quick and scenic walk. We'll be back!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank RockyMountainHigh123
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2009

I loved our room in this charming B&B. It had a huge, soft bed and a gorgeous private bathroom with an amazing jacuzzi bathtub. It was so comfortable, some days it was hard to tear ourselves away and go enjoy the town! The living and eating areas have lovely, cozy decor and everyone we met there made us feel welcome and taken care of. I have been to Bar Harbor before, but never have I stayed in such luxury. We'll be back!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple