March 17, 2012 it felt like spring so up to ME we went. Camden first then Bar Harbor (BH). With no reservations and no plans, a pair of 50+ year olds went on a lark to BH and later to Labec, ME. Off season is off season. We drove to the BH and worked backwards Rt 3 to find a place to stay. Far from the road, close to town was the ocean bay is Atlantic Hotel @ Oceanside. 119 Eden Street, BH, ME. The owners (Cough's?) opened all of their hotels a bit earlier than usual.
The item chosen for complaint will tell you how little there is to complain about : The sheets were too new and krinkly as if starched. Which I liked but my other half found...distracting.
We will be going back and not waste time looking around next time we are there. Why? Because across the street is a great dining restaurant that opened early also. Why? because for those that want that perfect sunrise picture in the morning....just go to your own balcony in your PJ's at 6:25am take that pic and go back to bed. Why? because the ferry is next door should you want to wander further and make their schedule on time. The long walkway to the sailing ship in the picture was just being newly assembled when we arrived. Why? because the staff and help is as cheerful as you'd ever want them to be. Why? because Acadia Nation Park can be accessed to all of its points at the cross roads just a bit down the road towards town. Why? Because it is NOT in town. Why? It is a clean hotel. There is one door (call it for the weather) and then your own private room door. Screened window in each. Keep the key card upright when you swipe it. Why? because the bathroom is large enough as is the room. From the back of the hotel to the front balcony is one apartment/room and appointed in a very non-distracting way. Except for the balcony! The view is distracting! Two chairs and a table with enough room to move.Why? because the beds were "to fall asleep in" soft yet supportive. Why? because it is only four stories high and if we chose any of the (three?) other buildings to stay in we would have been closer to the water and only two stories. This means everyone has a CLEAR view of the ocean. There is one building closer to the road that has less of a view.Why? because breakfast (off season gets continental) is served in the ground floor facing the ocean. The indoor pool is on that level too.
We foraged in town for a lobster roll and were told that it was too early to offer it. But the bar (Blue Whale?) has offerings were fresh and tastey. So few locals in the bar that the waitress didn't show. The bartender wasn't running but never stopped moving quickly either. The gas station at Newton Way and Route 3 has a bunch of natural wood bench seating and good fare.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on 12 beautiful acres just one mile from downtown Bar Harbor and the main entrance to Acadia National Park, the Atlantic Oceanside Hotel offers an ocean view from every room. Our brand new Atlantic View building offers everything you would expect from a modern hotel with fantastic views. Close enough to all the action of town, but just far enough away so you can relax. Our new rooms, friendly staff, and seasonal packages are the perfect combination of quality and value. Let us show you how beautiful the Maine coast can be.The AO is proud to announce the Grand Opening of its all new Bistro on Eden, a full service restaurant and bar.And with a great location comes great responsibility. The Bistro on Eden is a warm, lively restaurant and bar where people can be themselves and meet others in a friendly, comfortable setting. Overlooking Frenchman's Bay it offers smashing views and intimate outdoor seating, where every seat faces the Atlantic Ocean. We feature great tasting fresh, seasonal comfort cooking with ingredients that are primarily sourced from local, small scale vendors. Above all you can expect warm, genuine service. That is something upon which we pride ourselves.We are located inside the lobby of the Atlantic Oceanside Hotel, 119 Eden St. Bar Harbor, and Maine 04609. Open Wed. ~ Sat. 5Pm ~ 9pm ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Expedia so you can book your Atlantic Oceanside Hotel and Event Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Atlantic Oceanside Hotel Bar Harbor
- Atlantic Oakes Resort
- Atlantic Oakes Hotel
- Atlantic Oceanside Hotel And Event Center Bar Harbor, Maine