“Third stay at the Castlemaine and I hope to return again”

Bar Harbor Castlemaine Inn B&B
Ranked #22 of 30 Bar Harbor B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 September 2011

My most recent trip to the Castlemaine Inn was over Labor Day weekend. In years past, I have gone in May when the inn and Acadia National Park were more sparsely populated. Since the inn and the town of Bar Harbor were packed, I was worried that my room on the first floor would be noisy. It wasn't. While Suite One was very nice with its two person jacuzzi, as advertised, it did not have a private porch. The front porch of the inn is wonderful, but I will probably choose a different room next time. The staff at the inn are helpful but not pushy and the rooms are immaculate. Dan, the inkeeper, was around in the mornings with his A+ trail advise. Previously, I always booked a small room in the off season, when the inn's rates were a bargain. A suite during the busy season was much more expensive, but still competitive with other inns in the area. I am looking to go back next spring, but the high season rates are still posted for May, which is usually much lower. I'll keep checking to see if they go down. One of the best things about the Castlemaine is the location. You are just a couple blocks from downtown Bar Harbor, but you are not stuck in the traffic and noise of downtown. Also, it's super easy to get to Acadia without dealing with traffic at all. Really, the Holland Avenue location is perfect. I love this inn and look forward to going back to it as much as I look forward to being in Acadia.

Room Tip: I'd tell you my favorite room, but then you might book it, so I'm keeping that information t...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PatJ61
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 10 September 2011

AAA guide gave it a three diamond rating, most Trip Advisor reviews are favorable, the brochure is gorgeous and makes this look fabulous but do not believe any of that. It is NOT UPSCALE at all. I am aware that there are different rooms at this B&B and I am also aware I booked the smallest room but omg, I was expecting something more than mediocre. The room was TINY and the wallpaper, bedspread and rug all had a different floral pattern (who picked this stuff anyway), exposed pipes throughout, cold breakfast and not even a cookie or offer of a drink when checking in. The check in clerk was a ditz and left us standing in the lobby after we asked a question and totally forgot we were standing there. Tiny TV was in the closet and the air conditioner was right over my head and loud. Dan the owner never asked us how we enjoyed our stay. Please go to the Hampton Inn in Ellsworth 20 minutes away, which we did the following night. It is truly a better experience for a bit more.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sylviafly
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Stayed here for the first time with my new hubby for a few days for a newlywed trip. They offered a reduced rate sice we booked just a couple of weeks in advance and the room we got (Isadora) had everything we were looking for - whirlpool tub, fireplace, & little private porch! The bed was HUGE - needed a stepstool to climb into it! Especially after they put on the memory-foam pillow-top cover... SO comfy! The bedroom itself as well as the bathroom were both very spacious. We loved that they provide DVDs to watch & wine glasses, corkscrew, etc. The owner, Dan, is very friendly and knowledgeable about the hiking trails & the town itself. All of the staff gave excellent recommendations for food, etc. and the inn is located within walking distance to everything in teh village. We have stayed in several places in Bar Harbor over the years & would say that Castlemaine is #2 on our list of favorite places to stay! If it had a hot breakfast it would be tied for #1 for us. I would definitely stay here again - the hospitality is excellent!

Room Tip: Inquire about
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank trvl_mama7
Reviewed 20 August 2011

The Castlemaine lived up to our expectaions. Dan, the innkeeper, and Bobbie and Jill, were all excellent resources for any info about Bar Harbor, restaurants and reservations, guided trips, etc. The room , Augustine, was exactly as we had seen on the website, very clean, well accomadated, and decorated. The B&B is in a great location to all points of interest in Bar Harbor. Ten minute walk to anywhere and ten minute drive to beautiful Acadia National Park.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lenaNatchitoches_LA
Reviewed 19 August 2011

We absolutely enjoyed our stay at Castlemaine. We were greeted by a very friendly, and spunky attendant. We fell in love with our room (the secret room) upon arrival. The room was very clean and had everything we needed.

Something that we really enjoyed about Castlemaine was the breakfast routine. Last year, at a different b&b we had a formal breakfast arrangment which we felt pressured to attend each morning. This year we wanted to try different breakfast restaurants and we did! Breakfast here is very laid back and we felt no pressure to come down.

Dan, the innkeeper was very friendly and informative. He shared his knowledge of the park with us and let us borrow his book "A walk in the park" which we ended up buying a copy of. When our shuttle informed us we would not be picked up until noon Dan even extended our check out time by an hour or so.

Other things we enjoyed:
The movie selection was pretty good. The location of the inn was great, not too long of a walk from main street, it was quiet and pretty.

All together we had a great stay and we will most definitely be back next year!

• Stayed: August 2011