“Great place to stay - Convenient to Town”

Bar Harbor Villager Motel
Ranked #11 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We stayed 3 nights at the Villager from August 10 thru 12. Great little place to stay. Friendly staff, clean rooms, convenient to town and buses. Nothing fancy but that was ok with us. Was nice having a refrigerator. Could not get internet to work on laptop but did go to the office and get them to print our boarding passes. My iphone worked fine "AT&T service".

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 15 August 2011

We stayed for three nights and never moved our car. Walked to EVERY
THING!!!

Room Tip: If you need wi-fi, make sure you mention it to the staff when you reserve your room.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LSBG18
Reviewed 14 August 2011

although this wasn't the most up to date in terms of decorations, etc. the cleanliness and the location made up for it. it's within walking distance of everything Bar Harbor, the rooms were clean and comfortable. I would recommend staying here if you're looking for a great location and comfortable rooms.

Room Tip: we asked for a room on the first floor because we had a motorcycle and my husband likes to be close...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer H
Reviewed 9 August 2011

I am the last guest to arrive for the night and upon check-in, clerk confirms that I'm booked for one night. No, it was two. She let me go back out to my car to find my reservation, which I hadn't printed, so I booted up my computer when she confirms that it was two nights, but they'd made a mistake and only reserved one night. They might be able to give me a king room with a rollaway bed and a cot for the second night. That mistake turned out to be a blessing for us.

There's this device sticking out of the wall in the room that has all the controls of a Kennedy administration-era air conditioner, but the only function it appeared to perform was as a white noise generator. If you like muggy, the Bar Harbor Villager Motel is for you!

They don't provide any glasses or cups, so you have to rinse your mouth from the faucet, which doesn't have an aerator.

There's no Internet. I guess they don't want you writing reviews of the place while your experience is fresh in your mind. Joke's on them--I have a smartphone that serves as an Internet connection.

The TV works, but is from a different era. At least it's in color.

The beds must be imported from a country inhabited by little people because my feet hung off the end.

The only good thing I can say about the place is that it isn't filthy. The scratchy bed linens and nearly threadbare towels were clean, and I have no sores from bedbugs this morning.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Ed C
CaitlinMeredith, Manager at Bar Harbor Villager Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Bar Harbor Villager Motel. We are sorry to hear that you were unsatisfied with your stay. I would like to address your concerns for clarification. In terms of the booking error, yes, that was our fault, but we are more than willing to help find a comparable or better place for our guests to stay should we accidentally overbook or make an error. I believe that I did offer to assist you in this manner, but you informed me that you had already found another place to stay. In addition, I discounted your 1 night stay $20 for the inconvenience. In terms of the air conditioner, I had my maintenance personnel check it after you checked out, and it seemed to be working just fine. While it may not be the newest and most high-tech model, it is functioning, as evidenced by the condensation you mentioned on the window. If it wasn't working, there wouldn't be any condensation on the window because the air inside would be the same temperature as the air outside. The motel was built in the 1970s, which was well after the "Kennedy era". Cups are typically provided next to the ice bucket. If there were not any cups in your room, the front desk has a supply closet and is happy to provide any room items you may need upon request. While the TVs are not flat screen, they are no more than 5-7 years old. The internet issue is something we are currently working on, but it has proven difficult to get the Wifi signal to go through the thick walls of the building to reach every room. For this reason, we only advertise WIFI in the lobby, not in the rooms. While this type of "no frills" accommodation may cost much less in other areas, downtown Bar Harbor tends to be more expensive across the board simply because of the location.

Reviewed 5 August 2011

In the centre of town so great location. Very basic clean motel. Two small doubles and a small rollaway absolutely fill the room. The bathroom is small and adequate with soap shower gels and thin towels included. Breakfast is nonexistant really, its a cup of coffee and a small catering muffin in plastic at the check in desk - if 5 people are standing their elbows touch! Staff are friendly and efficient. Overall if you are just looking for a clean place to sleep in town then its a good choice. The pool is tiny and in the carpark, literally, so maybe nice for a quick unselfconscious cooloff. Great restaurant next door and perfect location for the town itself.

Room Tip: rooms on back row have no internet connection, ask for front lot.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family