“Best way to enjoy eating”

Gyu-Kaku Japanese BBQ Dining
Ranked #12 of 131 Restaurants in Kaneohe
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 23 May 2017

No phones just chopsticks. Everyone sits around the grill and enjoys tasty Japanese and other Asian style foods. Apps and salads were wonderful. Great sociable evening.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 22 May 2017

We took a friend to Gyu-kaku for dinner. Even though the server encouraged us to get the dinner for 3 or 4 with a fixed price, we decided to choose individual small plates, and mostly the ones discounted for 'happy hour.'

Billed as a Japanese grill, the food actually seems to be a combination of Yakiniku dishes plus Korean and Chinese dishes. The plates came quickly. We cooked our scallops on the grill at the table and enjoyed sauteed eggplant, steamed chili dumplings and a spicy tofu soup, all of which were very tasty, accompanied by white rice.

The server was attentive and responsive to our needs for chopsticks and extra hot sauce. She did everything with a smile.

Our bill, for 3 people was much less than if we had chosen the fixed price meal, and we were very satisfied with our choices.

Reviewed 15 April 2017 via mobile

Really a fun place to go. Wide selection of food. I ordered the smoked pork belly and it was very salty. Someone at our table order the tongue. Although delicious, this was over salted as well. The mango margarita was delicious. I'll go back but I'll ask what has been salted.

Reviewed 7 April 2017 via mobile

We went 2 weeks ago and had great service and excellent food. Wait staff did great and helped select what we were looking for as well as educated us on using the hot in table grill. Food was so good we were excited to return this week but it was a big change. We were informed they'd changed the menu and while we tried to order the same things we had previously it was not the same. The salad brought out had a lot of rusty bad looking and tasting pieces of lettuce for such a small bowl. The vegetarian bibimbop while still tasting good had green peppers which I had to pick out since it doesn't sit well with me. The other ingredients were quite different too. To add to these disappointments the food of the other 3 were served long before the bibimbop and they were done cooking and eating their meals before mine ever came to the table. Very upsetting since we had something to do and needed to leave before I could enjoy my food. I ate what I could but it has to cook in the very hot bowl a few minutes before it can be eaten. Guess you take your chances eating out. Sad when you think you found a new favorite and it changes.

Reviewed 30 March 2017

Cooking our own food at the table was a new and different experience for me, but new that i definitely enjoyed. The food was plentiful and good.