4,986 results
All reviews north shore the cottages surfer bar beach cottage segway tour forgetting sarah marshall surf school pool bar the main hotel helicopter ride kula grille surfing lessons our honeymoon sunset beach short drive paddle boarding the polynesian cultural center
Reviewed 5 April 2018

Pros
Great views and you can hear the ocean from your cottage
Good food located at the resort
2 golf courses available
Pool and beach with food/drink service
Can surf right off the property and easy for family/friends to watch
Surf shop on site with rentals
Free use of boogie boards and snorkeling gear

Cons
Maintenance issue during staying that resulted in an avoidable accident
Cottages, while updated, show lot's of wear and tear.
Dogs permitted and on the grassy areas outside of the cottages people often didn't pick up after their dogs
Food and service is hit or miss during busy times
Lounges are limited and people often leave items to hold them for hours

* see individual reviews for more details

Activities
Golf - recommend*
Surf - recommend*
Snorkeling - recommend
Zip lining - recommend*

Restaurants
Pool service - hit or miss
Roy's at the beach* - recommend
Roy's shack - recommend
The Point* - recommend
Lobby Lounge* - recommend
Lei Lei's* - recommend
Pa'akai* - do not recommend

We went during Spring break with 2 other families and stayed in the cottages. Fortunately, the family that arrived first was able to get all of us a few rooms apart and in the first two buildings. This made it a short walk to the hotel, pool, and right near the entry point for paddling out for surfing. This also allowed us to sit on our patios while the kids ran back and forth between rooms and played on the grass. Unfortunately, we discovered that dogs had not been picked up after when one of the kids stepped in dog poop. After paying better attention we found more.

For us, the cottage locations were great, and we preferred it over the villa locations which were on the other side behind the beach and Roy's. However, we all felt the rooms showed a lot of wear and tear for recently being updated. Understandably, because you are close to the ocean and the elements there is wear from the weather. However, the rooms themselves had wall damage/dirt, big chips of paint in furniture, outdoor furniture had stains and were worn, and the floors were completely scratched up.

The deal breaker for me was a maintenance issue that caused an accident. Our AC unit was leaking and maintenance was supposed to be called. However, no one called so we went a night without AC. The next day the person came and "fixed" the issue. However, an hour after they left a steady stream of water created a pool on the floor that I didn't see and slipped in. Terry came over quickly with ice and some towels to clean it up but I had already hurt my knee. They "fixed" it again, but I was too scared to turn it on so we went another night without AC. They were kind about following up and credited me a small amount (about 1/3 of a night) and offered to let us check out 2 hours later, but no follow up since.

It was Spring break, so lounges by the pool and on the beach were hard to come by if you weren't out by 9 a.m. And, people would reserve chairs for hours and no one from the hotel would monitor it. Food service by the pool could range from great to poor, depending on who you got. We often would walk up to the bar ourselves if we wanted something sooner. Staff was friendly and they all seemed to be doing the best they could based on how full the resort was.

Close by are great beaches that you can pull over and visit. A quaint fruit stand is nearby with farm fresh fruits and banana bread, and casual options like shrimp trucks, a farm cafe (Kahuku Famrs), and shaved ice are nearby. There is snorkeling at the resort and a few minutes drive (Shark's cove is one spot), and I loved that they didn't charge for use of the equipment from the beach shack.

In summary, I really wanted to like this resort. I loved the location and the service overall was friendly and there is so much to do. The kids, who don't notice the things adults do, had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed the resort. I do think you need a car if you are staying here as it is about an hour from the airport and lot's to do nearby.

Room Tip: For cottages, stay in the ones closer to the resort and pool. Also, end units are not as wide as the middle units.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
5  Thank cuteesq
Reviewed 5 April 2018

This is my 6th time on the North Shore at the Turtle Bay. I have been coming to the hotel since the early 90s. Not only is the property spectacular but also there are plenty of activities to choose from. My favorite thing is to walk on the beach and experience natures beauty and solitude. The resort amenities make it easy to just stay on the property and enjoy your vacation without getting into a car.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

The location is beautiful. The staff are friendly. The rooms are clean, if showing the wear of being near the sea. Peeling paint, rust broken furniture. This is fine if you aren't paying luxury prices.

The resort is geared to extracting as much money as possible, and this evident fact is a vacation destroyer. $45 per day "resort" fee gets you one continental breakfast short of a motel6 in terms of service.
Your resort fee claims beach umbrellas and chairs on a first come first serve basis. In reality, $35 gets you a chair.

$20/day parking, $16 cocktails and 'fine dining' pool food on top of restaurants that claim top shelf food but rarely meet expectations make this place somewhere you'd like to forget instead of remember.

Cigarette butts on the beach, floating garbage etc.

So much of this place is deservant of 5 star reviews and so much misses the mark.

Being a veteran of wonderful luxury resorts on Maui, Kauai, the big island and throughout the carribean and south pacific, do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere as the overwhelming feeling of being ripped off is a killer.

Terrible value

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
6  Thank ed_travalia
BrianHunnings, Manager at Turtle Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2018

Aloha and thank you for your review. I apologize that your stay with us was less than ideal, and I have shared your concerns with my management team. Like most resorts, Turtle Bay Resort charges a resort fee. Hopefully you took advantage of the long list of great amenities it covers, such as the use of Blu-ray with unlimited movie rentals, Beats Pillbox speakers and GoPro, snorkeling gear and daily tennis court usage, golf and standup paddle land clinics, and Fitness Center access outfitted with the latest cardiovascular equipment. Self-parking is available for $15 per day and our popular pool deck features many complimentary chairs and umbrellas.

I am sorry that you did not fully enjoy your dining experiences. With six restaurants and two take-away spots, Turtle Bay Resort offers a wide-range of dining options for every price point. Several of our restaurants showcase recently revamped menus with locally sourced, fresh island flavors. Additionally, in support of our ongoing environmental initiatives, Turtle Bay Resort offers an aluminum beverage tumbler for only $10, which provides unlimited, free non-alcoholic soda refills and all day Happy Hour pricing for mixed drinks and beers.

Turtle Bay Resort offers a one-of-a-kind, front-row seat to the power, beauty and laid-back charm of the North Shore. I hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you as our guest.

With warmest aloha,
Brian Hunnings, resort manager

Reviewed 4 April 2018

I had stayed at the Turtle Bay Resort when I was a child, and so I insisted that my current family stay here while we were planning a Hawaii trip. Was definitely not let down.

The views are beautiful and all of the staff was super-helpful & friendly (though obviously all working very hard). Special shout-out to Ulysses at the valet station, Dylan at the Guidepost, and our housekeeper Mama Della for making us feel special and very welcome all the time.

Yes, it's expensive - but if you go in knowing that and are prepared, it's not that big of a deal. We did have a rental car and explored the island, but could have stayed and done just about everything here if we had wanted to.

We did enjoy the Shaka Kayaks trip in Kawela Bay (Scott, John, and Cash were all awesome and made the trip a great one!). We were initially a little concerned that kayaking might be pretty high-impact, but the bay was nice & very calm, and our guides John & Cash were constantly helping everyone and pointing out neat things about the bay and surrounding area. And yes, we saw lots of turtles!

I also highly suggest doing something with the stables as well if you like horses. We took part in the Horsemanship 101 which I think is supposed to be for younger kids, but was truly enjoyable as adults. You get to really know your horse before taking them out on a ride and our guide Carlos was absolutely wonderful!

The eateries at the resort itself were all good quality. The Point provided quick, high-quality food (the fish & chips are AWESOME - highly recommend!), Lunch at Lei Lei's was great, and dinner at Pa'akai was excellent with great service.

All told, a great stay at a great resort!!

Room Tip: All rooms nice - go cottage if you want bigger fridge / microwave
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank quicksilverdrake
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Loved staying here. Staff were pleasant, and on their game. Beautiful grounds and every room had an ocean view. This is a unique place that deserves to be visited. Golf, tennis, beach and world class restaurants on the property.

Stayed: April 2018