“Get the garlic butter shrimp scampi”

Romy's Kahuku Prawns and Shrimp
Ranked #15 of 36 Restaurants in Kahuku
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed 20 November 2017 via mobile

I've been here before and I remember getting the butter garlic scampi and it was amazing. I think it's better than Giovanni's. I recently went here and I decided I didn't want to get my hands dirty so I ordered the fried shrimp. They said it would be about 30 minutes (which is weird because it wasn't busy and frying shrimp is really quick) They were out of pepsi (at 3:00pm as well....) Anyways, I got my plate in about 15 minutes. BIG mistake!!! I wish I got the buyer garlic scampi instead. The fried shrimp came with a sweet dipping sauce and then I ordered an extra side of garlic butter for my rice.

Anyways, don't make the same mistake I did - order the original butter garlic scampi. There are hand wash stations right there.

Plenty of street parking as well

Reviewed 14 November 2017

We had heard about the shrimp trucks and word was that Romy’s is the best. We went for lunch on a Monday, the line was not long but we were still informed that the wait for the #1 meal, Garlic Shrimp was 40minutes. The girl who took our order talked us into another option, steamed shrimp with a side of garlic sauce. This we could get in 10 minutes. We went for this, and it was OK. The shrimp is large and very sweet, the sauce sacory. The price was 14.75 with 2 scoops of rice, $1.25 more for brown rice, which we chose. Maybe we should have chosen the dinner with corn, salad and drink for 20.75 because we we’re still hungry when we finished our meal. We also had the pineapple, which was tasty. You eat on picnic tables, there are sinks with soap to wash your hands, as you get very messy peeling the shrimp. If this sort of thing appeals to you, go for I!

Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

I came here for the famous garlic and butter shrimp and was disappointed. The shrimps were either over cooked or from a frozen bag - they were chewy and flowery. The garlic and butter flavoring is removed when you have peeled the shell. It would be better to quick fry once peeled. Won't be spending my money again at garlic shrimp trucks again. I don't really understand all the hype and good reviews.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

An uber driver in Waikiki had recommended Romy's to my husband and so when we left Waikiki and had a rental car, we went there instead of the competitors. What a mistake! My husband had the garlic shrimp (peel them yourself - gross) and I had the fried shrimp because they came "clean." Well, the price and wait was not worth it. We got there around 2:00 p.m. and still waited for more than 45 minutes for our shrimp and two dollops of white rice. My husband was game to peel his shrimp and was a terrible mess at the end and I had to get more paper towels for him and turn on the sink for him so he could mop up. The fried shrimp come encased in the same paper as egg rolls. They were okay, but the white rice was, as you would expect, bland. Everyone waits in huge, very hot, tent perched on the huge ponds where the shrimp are farmed. About a half hour into our wait a small tour bus pulled up and let out about 12 people. They had obviously called in their order in advance and so got their food almost immediately, which pissed me off as we continued to wait for our food. Anyhow, not sure how this compares to the other shrimp stands on the north shore, but it was a huge waste of time and money.

1  Thank MomRocco
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

Garlic grilled shrimp & steamed shrimp was amazing.

Worth the wait. (decent organized queue tracking).

Ordering staff was polite and professional.

Area is near Northshore and after the famous Waimea beach cliff(bay)

Highly recommended even though there are many other competitors around.

1  Thank BubblesEito