“Great value”
other travellers have booked this property
Very comfortable Living room Shark's Cove-Amazing & World Class Snorkeling
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Very comfortable Living room
Shark's Cove-Amazing & World Class Snorkeling
Living Room-Tropical Trade Winds keep you COOL!
Three Tables Beach-Just down our driveway!
Bedroom One-Large and COMFORTABLE Queen bed
Gorgeous Tropical Lanai!
Lanai
Dining Room
View of house
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

French first
Any
brian s
San Diego, California
“Avoid this rental- many better options on the North Shore for this price”
Reviewed 14 January 2015 for a stay in December 2014

Renter beware: House is NOT as it appears in the professional photos!
Handyman special! Are you the type who can’t take a vacation without bringing your tools? Luana Iki is the place for you! Expect to dedicate a small portion of each day performing maintenance tasks and minor repairs to your vacation residence.
Let me start by stating I have never made a negative review of a vacation rental before and have stayed on the north shore at many vacation rentals, but this experience was sufficiently poor to prompt me to warn others. I will provide key points for those who do not wish to read the detailed experience below:
• House was dirty, musty, and damp
• Many light bulbs were missing from bedrooms, bathroom, refrigerator. LED lights in the kitchen flickered constantly, giving the place a strobe light effect
• Broken appliances in kitchen, and a dirty mixmatch of utensils
• Gate to enter the property produced a high pitched squeak when opened, easily awakening the occupants of the nearby bedrooms (I fixed it myself with some WD40 from foodland)
• Old aluminum back door slider to the residence had a broken lock and was difficult to open; house could not be secured. Scavenging the property produced a metal pipe capable of locking the door and securing the property. Owner denied knowing of this, but during 1 of 2 visits to the property by his handyman during our stay, the handyman stated owner was aware and part was on order. (Owner is dishonest)
• Master bedroom closet door hinges were stripped out; extra force required to close closet door. I fixed it myself by tightening the screws in the door
• One smoke detector missing and one was malfunctioning. Although they were direct-wired (not on battery) the smoke detector in the master bedroom started sounding loudly at 3:00AM and required disconnecting.
• Skylight in kitchen leaks during rains
• Electrical outlets on lanai (not on GFI) tripped breaker during rains
• Yard was not as displayed in picture and in need of some TLC. Lush lawn displayed in property video mostly gone. Trash (broken boogie boards, chairs, umbrellas) litter the property
• House was sufficiently poor enough to prompt me to write my first ever negative review after countless experiences of renting vacation homes
On the positive side, the property is in an excellent location, right across from three tables beach, close to foodland, great location. There are two properties behind the gate: Luana II, the really nice property and Luana Iki, his red-headed stepchild. Luana II is a palace and worth the price he’s renting it for, but Luana Iki is run-down, neglected, and desperately in need of help. When we arrived on our umpteenth trip on the North Shore, our family was full of excitement to enter our home for the next two weeks. However, upon entering, we were quickly aware that the property wasn’t exactly as advertised on The listing. The property is nestled under a beautiful giant mango tree, but this renders it dark and damp. Musty smells permeate the residence, especially in the kitchen cabinets. The house was in a state of neglect- dirty, rundown, and in great need of update. There were light bulbs missing from the refrigerator, bedroom lamps, pretty dirty and worn throughout. These initial findings were not ideal but tolerable. However, when we discovered the ancient aluminum slider door that went to the lanai could not be locked, and thus the house could not be secured, we decided to call the owner with our concerns. The owner told us not to worry, as he routinely leaves the keys in his BMW with the window down. The owner quickly became defensive about the property when I spoke with him on the phone, and suggested that he refund our money and send us to find lodging elsewhere, because “I’ve learned that when people complain upon check-in, they will be unhappy the whole stay.” Right, it’s a week before Christmas, and you think we are going to be able to find another suitable open house to stay in? I quickly backed down to avoid putting my family out on the streets on the north shore. The house was bad but better than our minivan.
A couple of days later, the owner stopped by to clean Luana II, and also to fix some of the problems we alerted him to. He brought some light bulbs, new bathroom mats and told us the handyman would stop by to fix the lock and the faulty smoke detectors. We returned to the residence one afternoon after visiting nearby shark’s cove to find the owners handyman replacing the faulty smoke detectors and assessing what was necessary to get the back slider locking again. He was a nice guy, although his dog, which was roaming through the residence upon our arrival, wasn’t too pleased to see our 3 small children. We quickly scooped up our kids because, well, you never know. He stated that he knew of the broken lock (as did the owner) and a part had been on order for some time (Although the owner flatout lied to us and denied knowing anything about the broken lock.) The lock could not be fixed during our stay. Never rent from a property owner who lies to you.
Overall, some valuable lessons were learned. Namely, ask for recent photos of the property. This place has gone downhill fast. Save yourself the disappointment and rent elsewhere on the north shore.

Liked best: Location
Liked least: Dealing with owner, state of property
Travelling group: Young Children
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
29 Jan 2015
Home Owner beware: DO NOT RENT TO THESE GUESTS!

Let me explain, first, they have been to the N Shore "Many times" as they were proud to tell us....

Then, once they first checked in that had an additional child with them that was not on the lease.

I received a text message that afternoon, from the renter saying things like "the screen door lock to the lanai does not work (though it did prior to their check-in) among other small and seemingly minor issues.

I IMMEDIATELY called them, and offered them a FULL AND IMMEDIATE REFUND!!!

Yes, 100% of their money I offered to refund them right then and there.

I told them, in my 6 years of renting to amazing families all over the world, I have found that if someone starts their experience unhappy, then, they will look for ways to complain about anything and everything.

This was certainly the case.

I offered them another home AND even Turtle Bay Resort PLUS a full refund at the time.

They immediately said "oh, no, really, we love it here, it's just we want to feel safe since that back lanai door doesn't lock, please, really, it's not a problem."

My handyman, went over the next day to assess the situation and begin the repairs to that lock that were done.

At the tail end of their stay, they asked if they could have a partial refund, stating that "we think we paid too much."

Wow.

This family says that they come here all the time and they KNEW that coming over Christmas time is our BUSIEST time of year, where rates are the absolute highest.

I told them, "if you thought our prices were too high, you should not have booked in the first place."

They tried to blackmail us by threatening to write a bad review here!

The truth is this: if you are a rental home owner DO NOT RENT TO THESE PEOPLE!

Our network of owners has been made aware not to rent to them in the future.
adventure...
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Great value”
Reviewed 26 November 2014 for a stay in November 2014

Nice place, everything perfect, clean and fully provided for. Very central. Good value for money. Only complaint was it was missing salt and pepper! :)

Travelling group: Extended Family
27 Nov 2014
Salt and pepper?!?!?! Rats!!! I usually stock the pantry with everything you need to cook amazing meals since I am a fantastic cook myself!

My bad, I was traveling for a month when you arrived and didn't have a chance to personally stock it. Come back and I will make SURE your kitchen has everything it could possibly need to get you to win TOP CHEF!

A hui hou (see you soon in Hawaiian)

Samuel
Pearl G
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
“Wonderful Stay!”
Reviewed 5 October 2014 for a stay in October 2014

I love this place. Amazing energy from the house suited my soul. The house is surrounded by lots of trees. Great location and super convenient to the beach just walked across the street to have the whole beach to ourselves in the morning or just 3 minutes away from Food Land that we can walk to get grocery. Friendly and safe neighborhood that you can walk around even in the night time. I am very relax and love to stay here. I hate to leave this place to go back to reality so I am looking forward to come back again and I will make sure next time I will stay longer.

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
21 Oct 2014
Very kind of you Pearl, we sure enjoyed having you come out and stay, and, especially thrilled that you love our home as much as we do!

Really glad that you enjoyed eating all the papayas from our trees that provided you with your yummy tropical breakfast foods in the morning. And the mango tree is just now fruiting, so sorry you missed those! :-)

And, yes, please do come out and stay longer next time! A hui hou, Samuel
ClifftheP...
Conifer
“Great little North Shore getaway”
Reviewed 11 September 2014 for a stay in November 2013

This quiet Little House right in Haleiwa Town on the north shore, is a Great little spot to Start your day of surfing, hiking and exploring the North Shore. It has a modern, updated high Def TV/entertainment system,Wifi, a well equipped kitchen, and is tucked away in safe, gated, compound Right off the main highway running through town. Wiamea Valley gardens and beach are a short 5 minute walk away as is grocery and shopping. It was nice to be behind a keyed gate with secure parking and plenty of privacy.

Liked best: Easy Access to surfing and Hiking
Liked least: Rooster call in the Morning
Travelling group: Friends
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
21 Oct 2014
It was a treat to have you and thrilled that you decide to come back each year and choose us at Luana Iki as your destination each year! We appreciate the business and now you are our "ohana" or family in Hawaiian....see you on your next visit! Aloha, Samuel
Maida V
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Ask for updated photos”
Reviewed 2 August 2013 for a stay in July 2013
people found this review helpful

Location of this "bungalow" is wonderful, once you locate it. We were disappointed on arrival to this property. Firstly it took us an hour back and forth on the main road, to find the driveway (dirt track) that led us to the house. Do not rely on your GPS as it was unable to locate.
I would suggest that you have the landlord send updated photos from those given on the website - probably taken when first purchased- also suggest he obtain a new cleaning person for the $175 you are charged we there 3 nights only. The floors were dirty, the furniture is in need of a really good clean- both within the lanai and the outside seating areas (you couldn't use the outside furniture) the shower curtain mouldy, the comode broke the first day we were there and was not repaired during our stay or even attempted. There was a dirty fan in the kitchen ( not exactly sure why) dirty dishware and be sure a large can of Sure Shot will be required. I know the Nth Shore is a laid back beach scene, that is what I love about it, I won't be staying here again . The ancient mango tree is beautiful, good luck picking any fruit without a 20 ft ladder and you will be sharing the driveway with whomever has rented the larger house on the same property. We were instructed to keep the noise levels down due to elderly neighbours , which was fine for us as we really did want to chill, meanwhile I don't believe the neighbours at the end of the dirt path were given the same message. On to the next stop on the Nth Shore and I know I won't be back to this property.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location on the nth shore
Liked least: The house
Travelling group: Other
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
1 Aug 2013
Interesting...Just goes to show that you cannot please everybody!

We have been successfully renting this house for 6 years with excellent reviews (check our VRBO.com reviews @ http://www.vrbo.com/335134)

Our system automatically emails out check in instructions with a VIDEO of how to find the property since our N shore can be very rustic! She obviously did NOT watch the video since hundreds of guests before her seemed to find out home without an issue!

Yes, apparently the chain to the toilet broke while she was staying there...Unfortunately, I was in the hospital in California visiting my father with a broken hip when she told me of the issue.

I immediately called my plumber, left him a message, when I didn't hear from him the next day (he was in the hospital getting his appendix removed!!!!!) I called a second plumber....who came the following day to repair the chain.

And she is complaining about not being able to pick mangos from our ancient mango tree!??!?!? Hahaha, this lady is something else....I guess she would want me to cut the 50 year old tree down smaller so she can reach all the fruit....

Just goes to show, after 6 years of excellent reviews (again see below from our VRBO site) there is always going to be ONE rotten apple, this woman apparently is it for us.

Good to have that one out of the way!!!

Now we can enjoy having another 6 years of excellent guests that actually appreciate things!

Aloha!

Reviews
Best North Shore Location / Vacation spot ever
Guest Stephen P.Date of stay 02/01/13Review Submitted 02/16/13
Just got back from two WONDERFUL weeks (2/1/13 - 2/13/13) at this lovely North Shore home. This home is literally 15 seconds (across the street) from the ocean located in the secluded sharks cove. It is set off of the main Hwy and is so quiet you'll think you're on a deserted island alone. The home has every amenity you'd need and the owner is a phone call / e-mail away to answer any questions. Linens were provided as well as towels and just about any beach gear you'd need (body boards, snorkel equip, beach chairs etc). The home also has laundry and a beautiful lush tropical yard complete with visiting chickens every day. The pictures don't do the place justice as the owner has completed many renovations / landscaping projects that the current pics don't reflect. All in all, stay here and you WON'T be disappointed.
Recommended for: Sightseeing, romantic getaway, adventure seekers, families with young children, girls getaway, age 55+.

Did you find this review helpful? Yes | No Helpful votes: 0/0

Say Hello to my little friend
Guest Lara Date of stay 12/15/10 Review Submitted 01/05/11
This house is so perfect for someone who does not want all the fuss and coldness of hotels

I felt like a relative leant me their house and I had the keys to the kingdom!!! You can't beat being on the beach, having your own pad and feeling like a queen of a castle. I liked the house, the location and everything. Highly highly highly recommend
Recommended for: Sightseeing, tourists without a car, girls getaway.

Did you find this review helpful? Yes | No Helpful votes: 1/1

Judy Barr
Guest WillDate of stay 12/09/10Review Submitted 01/05/11
Can I stay again??? I hope I'll be able to get back real soon. It was amazing. the house was charming-the 25 second walk from the front door to the tip of the water on the beach is priceless

I can't say enough about how great this house was and the perfect location-close to honolulu but far enough away from the madness of the big city. I love staying here and having space to move I want to go back
Recommended for: Families with teenagers, age 55+.

Hibiscus so sweet
Guest HibiscusDate of stay 12/04/10Review Submitted 01/05/11
It was amazing to see the beauty of Hawaii while staying in a beautiful home. I loved my time there and wish I could have stayed even longer. It was so nice to stay in a well appointed home that made me want to actually buy the place---but since Real estate in hawaii is so high I'm glad the prices for renting this home were reasonable

this is an Excellent place to be for a vacation!
Recommended for: Families with teenagers.

No Wonder Magnum loves hawaii
Guest MagnumDate of stay 11/25/10Review Submitted 01/05/11
I was halfway expecting to see magnum, TC and Rick and Higgins. I love this place. We had so much fun and the house was the perfect place to crash after a day on the beach or sleep in listening to waves in the pacific.

I am so glad we decided to stay at a house instead of a hotel. I never imagined staying at a real Hawaiian house would make my vacation complete. Great
Recommended for: Sightseeing, adventure seekers, families with young children.

Beach and mountains---perfection
Guest FormersdaDate of stay 11/20/10Review Submitted 01/05/11
The house was perfect. It was close to the mountains and to the beach. I at times did not know what I looked at more the mountains or the surf. We have beautiful real estate in Spain but staying at this house in beautiful Hawaii was worth the trip all the way from Spain

I was so comfortable in the home and my family enjoyed themselves muy much. The home was just what we needed and met all of our needs. Great location
Recommended for: Tourists without a car, romantic getaway, adventure seekers, families with young children.

So cool dude
Guest SandinmytoesDate of stay 11/13/10Review Submitted 01/05/11
my buds and I had a great time we liked this place it was perfect for us because it was right by the beach we were stoked that all you had to do was just look at the waves and just walk right into them we barbequed caught some waves and relaxed and chillaxed

perfect spot for people who want to relax and live like locals hey save me spot cause i'm coming back
Recommended for: Sightseeing, families with teenagers, tourists without a car, adventure seekers.

Did you find this review helpful? Yes | No Helpful votes: 0/0

Perfect getaway spot--don't look anywhere else
Guest OnsweetDate of stay 11/06/10Review Submitted 01/05/11
Nice house within walking distance of beach and close to sites of interest. Friendly and helpful staff. It was quite comfortable and I felt really like the space was mine. There was no long elevator trip and large lobby to get to a beach we just crossed the road and it was there

It exceeded my expectations and will go back again
Recommended for: Sightseeing, families with teenagers, tourists without a car, adventure seekers, families with young children, girls getaway, pet owners, age 55+.

Lovely just lovely
Guest thechappyDate of stay 12/20/10Review Submitted 01/05/11
We had a marvelous time at Luana Iki. Even the name is just lovely :) We traveled all the way from Canada and were so excited and not disappointed.

The home is so cute and comfortable. It made us feel Hawaiian. I loved eating breakfast on the lanai and being so close to the beach. Thi was a perfect spot for us as we have pre-teen kids and they children had sooooooo much fun!
Very clean
Recommended for: Families with teenagers, tourists without a car, families with young children.

Did you find this review helpful? Yes | No Helpful votes: 1/1

Ramsey
Guest RamseyDate of stay 12/28/10Review Submitted 01/05/11
The house was very clean and a nice quiet area. It was so nice to hear the ocean lull me to sleep as it was just across the road! It has a great ocean view and the view and house were quite beautiful.

I liked not having to wait in long hotel lines and the owner helped us get in and settled quickly so we could unwind and enjoy the beach. The home setting was great as it was not impersonal and fit my laid back style. My wife and kids liked it very much and the decor actually reminded me a bit of the style that some of my friends have in Arizona. The beach life was fantastic in this place. We'll be back!!!
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday home? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing