All reviewsbad reviewsback packersspent two nightsmain officeamazing locationgrocery storephone numberbus stopfull kitchencraigbeacheshireoahuvibeclusterperspectivesunrise
Reviewed 26 April 2017 via mobile

Me and my sister have recently just spent two nights on the north shore in this back packers! I Am literally so surprised to see so many bad reviews as we absolutely loved our time here and wish we had stayed longer!!! We stayed in the back house where we had our own room, with two single beds. The house had all the necessities we needed - as we made our food every day. The hostel had such a beachy, relaxed vibe and such a great location directly across from the beach. They also offered free snorkel equipment and surfboards to use and the opportunity to rent bikes.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank tinafN4486HS
connerjwagner, Manager at Backpackers Vacation Inn and Plantation Village, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2017

So glad you guys enjoyed your time here! Thanks for the review, it means a lot to us :)

Mahalo

Reviewed 27 March 2017 via mobile

Stayed there two nights, should've slept on the beach or in rental car. The room was not cleaned in the last month or so. Garbage was still full from last guests, toilet seat was broken and we all had bed bug bites the next morning. It's a great location only if they would put some of their money into the place it might be nice. Wouldn't waste my money there again.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank nihlist
Sharlyn F, Manager at Backpackers Vacation Inn and Plantation Village, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2017

Are you sure it was here? We don't have bedbugs and places are cleaned daily

Reviewed 17 March 2017

Full kitchen and fridge. Friendly staff and lots of equipment available to rent: bicycles, snorkel gear, surfboards, bodyboards to name a few. 5 minute walk from a Grocery store and cluster of food trucks.

Craig, one of senior staff at the hostel, stands out as a start staff member. I broke a couple surfboard leashes, and significantly damaged one of the rental surfboards when I got caught in high surf one day. He asked me for a couple hundred dollars to buy out the board, and he kept the board at the hostel since I have no use for a surfboard in my hometown.

Overall great hostel at a great location, for a great price. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Kurt S
Reviewed 3 March 2017 via mobile

Read all for the whole truth.... I stayed on the north shore at the backpackers hostel for 1 week in February. On my last day I tried to extend one night so I could travel with new friends back to wikiki. They had no rooms available so I told craig who is manager I'd probably sleep in a car on the property and he said no problem. I stayed up late with everyone and ended up sleping on a couch for 3 hours in a common area of the hostel before getting up. I went up to the office to offer a bit of cash to thank them but instead of gratitude for the gesture I got charged for a full night and scorned by the owner. So... if you want to know a real review here it is. The hostel has some interesting employees living on site. One is the local dealer if you want weed and acid. I witnessed one female employee on acid one night as well as another female traveller of 20 yrs of age who will be living there until may. Wifi is available on the property but most people have to go to the common area to use it. The male employee in plantation village has a short temper and often dealt with the travellers in a childish way... taking away the darts and game baskets lol. He got under people's skin for sure. I am not used to seeing children when I travel in hostles either. My room in the plantation village was attached beside a private room facing the beach where a family with two young kids could often be heard rattling the common door between units and crying which was unsettling while I slept. The bikes for rent are in terrible condition. They rent boards but beginners and intermediate riders have to travel to far to use them unless you want to die at pipeline. I like lizards so I didn't mind seeing them in our rooms. The doors to the dorms are never locked and there is no where to lock anything up so my important stuff was hid under the mattress. No air-conditioning in the units was OK but it was not their summer. I could not imagine their summer with no ac. There is only a kitchen in the common area at plantation village and no one used it because it was inconvenient. Only thing good about the place is location. One of the guests at the backpackers hostel told me they had a mesh wall in their room on the bottom floor which i believe is typical of the other units as well and they had a video of a maintenance guy blowing grass and leaves for 10 minutes at 730 in the morning. They laughed about it after but we're obviously put off by the experience. Those same guests after checkout had the door locked behind them so after eating breakfast they had nowhere to throw out their garbage. Again they were frustrated. The experience provided by the hostel for those of use who shrugged off the bad stuff was still an excellent part of the trip. The northshore is awesome. I hope the owner is happy with her 33 dollars I generously over paid. This is a really bad review for her but all factual and not exaggerated at all. Safe travels and use your drugs wisely.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
10  Thank hadder2017
Reviewed 10 February 2017 via mobile

Loved this laid back set up, felt like home very quickly. If you are looking for a place to connect with people and hear the waves at night even from the cabins on the other side of the beach, this place is a pearl. Feels more like a community then a hostel set up. Dorm rooms are good enough, cleaned daily, no fuss, modest but honest and mostly its all about the cool vibe here. This place was my home for most of my stay on Oahu. Highly recommend it.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo