“Slowed right down in Molokai” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Molokai

Hotel Molokai
Ranked #1 of 4 Kaunakakai B&B and Inns
Vancouver
“Slowed right down in Molokai”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2008

My husband and I arrived in Molokai and quickly rented a car. After driving around the east side of the island most of the day we decided to spend our first night at Hotel Molokai. It seems no matter where you go on the island you will find roosters. They grew on me. I like the rooster much more now. A fond Molokai memory.

What I liked about the hotel was the room. We overlooked the ocean on the top floor. We had dinner in the restaurant - yes the service was slow but I do recall that we need to slow down in Molokai. So we were not expecting fast quick paced service and we certianly were not in a hurrey since we were here to relax and unwind and get our honeymoon started. The view was gorgeous. The view of Lanai and Maui. Lovely. We were entertained by the little kitty cat coming around. After a yummy dinner and a recommended wine we grabbed bottle for the pathway and headed up to our room.

For breakfast we went back down and enjoyed the most amazing hotcakes - Macadamian Hotcakes with coconut syrup. TOO DIE FOR! Housekeeping was friendly. The sparrows that joined us at breakfast were sweet creations. Molokai is not NEW YORK CITY. I love fast paced metropolitan city life. We live in one. When YOU are friendly, you get it back. Show respect for someone's home. We are not staying at the Ritz Carlton - but we were not expecting to. We didn't go to check our email and play on the internet . We went to mingle with the locals, to see Hawaii and enjoy the way the people of Molokai do it. We did not go demanding they do things another way the are not familiar with. Multi - tasking does NOT exist on Molokai and that is refreshing.

The people are friendly. Tourists are not. Most people are high maintenance [-] that cannot appreciate a different way of doing things and accepting it for what it is. My husband and I are going to go back to Molokai to go hiking and learn more and if we don't stay in the house we had booked before we will go back to Hotel Molokai and make it our basecamp.

Molokai is peace and paradise. Now I know why they want to save La'au Point. I am only a visitor and I want it saved too. The rest of the world doesn't deserve Molokai. Home of the Hula!

I will visit but I won't move there because I can see why your economy depends on it. If I do move there, I will become you and not make you become me.

Love from Vancouver Canada.

The red earth is incredible!

• Liked — The roosters!
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed March 2008
5 Thank Crybabypoet
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Southern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2008

Loved this hotel!!

I'm 24 years old and went with 2 of my best friends to Moloka'i for spring break. We were tired of the Miami Beach/LA spring break scene and were looking for a way to relax, have fun and experience Hawaii the way it's supposed to be.

The rooms were really nice - we made a reservation for 2 people, and when we brought 3, the receptionist at the front desk was more than happy to accommodate us and bumped us up to a bigger room (Thanks, Etta!!). All the staff were very nice and happy to help any way they could. Our room had 3 beds, a balcony, a kitchenette including refrigerator, stove, microwave, coffee pot and dishes. The room was cleaned everyday and overall the hotel was very clean and well kept.

Judging by other reviews on here, people weren't sure what to expect. This is not a high-priced resort on a high-priced island. It's a very appropriate hotel for the island, and probably the nicest there. If you're looking for a touristy spot where all your activities are planned and you're waited on hand and foot, go to Waikiki. But if you have an independent spirit and don't mind co-existing with nature, the island and the Hotel Moloka'i are perfect! (There is an activities desk in the lobby and they would be more than happy to help you set up snorkeling, fishing or hiking trips)

I would recommend this Hotel to anyone I know - young, old, single, married, kids, no kids. I will never go back to Hawaii without making a trip to Moloka'i and staying a night at the Hotel. One of my favorite vacations ever!!!

• Liked — The people, the atmosphere, NATURE - Get out there and enjoy it while it's here people!!!!
  • Disliked — Leaving!
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank stutz20
Alaska
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2008

I should have read the reviews. Arrived to find hotel had booked the wrong nights, they did have a room for me and since I was so tired I was looking forward to a quiet peaceful Molokai experience. Nothing could have been further from my expectations. The bar raged all the first night puncated with profanities at every opportunity from the patrons. It was so loud that I had the TV almost at full blast in an effort to blast it out and could hardly hear it sitting 5 feet away. I should have know with the dead palm tree at the entry. The morning brought the relentless crowing of roosters in every direction and if that didn't wake the dead then the landscaping equipment certianly would do the job. I waited in the less than 1/2 full dining room for over 20 minutes to be offered a cup of coffee and a menu after being pointed to a table by a surrley hostess. The food was cold and lousy and it took another 20 minutes to get it to the table. I spent the morning looking for another place to get internet connection since the hotel was charging 25 cents a minute for very slow connection. I then asked for another room further from the bar in the hopes of a more quiet night, they moved me right next to the roosters and the road and gave me some ear plugs. The TV didn't work in the second room. I finally found the manager and stated my complaints. He argued with me and was just plain nasty, tried to make it my fault and stood and glared at me for an hour while I sat with my family in the pool area waiting for food and drink which came another hour later. There is no other hotel in Molokai and that will definately be my last trip. Oh, yeah, thought I would hang out in the hammack by the pool but soon found out why all the flys were there. Dog Poop, everywhere. Nice touch. Worst hotel experience for the money I have ever had. Stay away!

• Liked — The moment I could check out!
  • Disliked — The Noise and Service and Dog Poop
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank crystalturtle
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2008

Thank you Hotel Molokai for the vacation of a lifetime.The staff and local residents were fantastic. The authentic look of the hotel grounds will forever be imprinted in my minds eye, it was the typical dream Hawaiian vacation. I booked this trip with my vacation club (TAN) and boy were they right on the money with this vacation. The best thing is, with TAN, I will be able to return to the Hotel Molokai whenever I want. Thank you all.

• Liked — Autentic charm
  • Disliked — I could not stay longer
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank crusaderpc
Wauwatosa, WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2008

We just stayed at Hotel Molokai for half of our week long honeymoon, and found it a great place!! I really don't kow what the other bad reviews are all about, but we found it a neat place to stay on the island. Being that it is a hotel, and usually fully booked, yes there are other guests there, and yes, other people will walk past your room. BUt there are no children running around, no late night partiers-the entire hotel was quiet after 9pm, there are a lot of older crowds there. If you want a true Hawaii experience, and to meet some great locals that will tell thier stories, then it is a great place to go. The rooms are newly remodeled, the restaurant is a great place to eat overlooking the ocean!!, the staff there is very friendly and goes the extra mile to assist you, we never saw a single bug in our clean room, and just loved the ambience there!! Please don't overlook this great place, with live music nightly, great food and great people, amazing views, I could go on............

• Liked — the amazing views from the pool area, the food, the staff and people
  • Disliked — lak of privacy
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank nicnic3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kaunakakai
35.6 km away
23.1 km away
The Blue Goose B&B
The Blue Goose B&B
#1 of 1 in Maunaloa

Been to Hotel Molokai? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK