“Expectations well met!!”

Ranked #25 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Seattle, Washington
“Expectations well met!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012 via mobile

I wasnt sure what to expect after some calls made prior to my trip being somewhat "lacking in service". When we arrived, it was late and we were exhausted and were met by Katey, who should be able to write a "how-to" guide for customer service.
Katey was professional, patient and just downright amazing. She was working the desk with Shay who appeared to be learning the ropes, but was doing an excellent job as well.
I would return to Papakea any time JUST because of the service we received from Katey & Shay. We stayed in unit B-101 and loved it!
I know that the manager reads these reviews and I hope he knows what a treasure Katey is!

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Seattlegrrl1
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012 via mobile

Just got back from a week at the Papakea. For a younger couple the resort wasn't really that great for social life. Not just at the resort but anywhere near us. LAHAINA front street is where its at. The room we stayed in was dated but they do have renovated rooms. The resort is gorgeous though. Basically every room has an ocean view. The grounds are very well kept.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Justin N
Shoreline, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

We just returned from 8 days at Papakea. We had stayed there 5 years previous and weren't returning because we had had a wonderful stay previously but because our traveling partners are VI time share owners and they have units in Papakea. One of the things you learn about Papakea is that they have RULES and they have their enforcers. Depending on your perspective this can be good or annoying. If you have young kids you are likely to get to know the rule enforcers (security) by name. This trip I received a written notice not to leave our snorkel gear ( in our dive bags ) on our lanai. I don't know how they could even see it since we were on the 3rd floor. They don't have a problem with towels as long as they aren't on the railing. On our previous trip my swim suit changed from blue to black after a session in their spaa. I see their brochure includes a warning about this now. Our room also had only a window air conditioner. While we were gone for the afternnoon one day the maid turned off the air conditioner so we returned to a hot room. Maid service was unpredictable and inconsistent. If you want to lay on the beach ( versus on a lounge on the grass) at your hotel this is not the place nor is it good for snorkeling or swimming ( rocks, waves, location of reef). Also access to the "beach" is poor because there is a seawall. Doesn't mean you can't do these there but there are far better places for either or both, close by, you just have to take your car. Pools are well maintained but don't open until 9a.m. and close at 10 p.m. Thursday is landscape maintenance day. If you aren't awake at 8 a.m. you will be. May sound like a lot of negatives but it is an acceptable place to stay, particularly if you are aware of what is most important to you about your overall accomodation.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bob M
Daveatpapakea, Manager at Aston at Papakea Resort, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Aloha,

There are some rules that we have and they have been developed by dealing with past complaints and some are basic safety rules. A lot of guests snorkel here but the best places on Maui are not at resorts they are away from them. I have stated before Papakea is a family friendly spacious resort with massive grounds 2 pools and lots of fun stuff to do. It is not for everyone but most really enjoy it here.

Mahalo,

Dave Schneider
Aston at the Papakea
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

I just returned from Papakea a couple days ago. This is an absolutely beautiful resort. Stayed in room J106 which is just a little stroll to the beach. You can hear the ocean from the bedroom & living room. The pool was as warm as the beach all around the clock. They have a beautiful Koi pond. Great & friendly staff...I'm already looking forward to going back.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Helene L
Macedon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We just returned from 10 days at Papakea. This is more of a review of our actual condo and not Papakea Resort. We stayed in Condo F405 which is an oceanfront 3br/3ba. Check in was easy. We had booked a 2br/2ba, but they upgraded us to the 3/3. Check in was easy and the upgrade appreciated. However, once I saw the room I don't really feel it was an upgrade. The space was great, but the room is nothing like what Aston advertises on their website. When I booked this, I specifically asked for an updated room as I had read the reviews about each condo being completely different depending on the owner. I went back to the front desk and asked for a different room and they said they had no other rooms available as it was Easter break. So, we accepted the room. The beds were so uncomfortable. They were like sleeping on a hard floor. Only 1 bedroom had a tv in it and it was old and the screen was hard to see the picture. The other 2 bedrooms did not even have tv's in them. I have stayed in many condos before and they always have tv's in all of the bedrooms. So, at night instead of the kids all going to their rooms to watch tv, there was 6 of us crammed onto a small couch trying to watch tv. The condo was also very hot. There was a window air conditioner that kept the living area somewhat cool, but the bedrooms were soooo hot! I had all of the windows open and we were oceanfront, but it was still so hot. The ceiling fan upstairs had a note on it that it should not be turned on high....most likely because it would spin right off the ceiling if you turned it on high. All of the ceiling fans were very shaky and barely bolted to the ceiling. The ceiling fan in the master bedroom had to get a jumpstart. I had to spin the blades by reaching up with a broom just to get it started spinning. The carpeting was really gross. I am not a picky person by any means, but I tried to do my crunches and the carpet is sticky and dirty. It looks like it has never been cleaned. I think the carpet was blue at one point, but it looks brownish gray. Papakea Resort is beautiful as far as the pools, ponds, grills, tikis that were lit at night, etc. It is in a great location and I just loved everything about the grounds. It is mostly our particular condo that I had issue with. Also, I wouldn't recommend asking Sarah, the Expedia agent any general questions unless you plan on buying an excursion thru Expedia. I asked her 2 general questions and she was short and rude to me. My kids even remarked that they felt she was not very nice. She seemed annoyed that I was not booking anything with her and that I just had 2 questions. There is a thing called common courtesy. Troy, the other Expedia agent was very friendly and helpful. So, overall the space was nice. But, for the price and considering we were a family of 6 on vacation to relax, it would have been nice to come home to a comfy bed, nice room temperature and clean carpeting after each days adventures.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Surfergirl35
Daveatpapakea, Manager at Aston at Papakea Resort, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Aloha,

I am the General Manager of the Aston at Papakea Resort and after reading this review I had to go look at this unit as it is a rare three bedroom ocean front unit that I thought I knew well. I feel this may be a personal taste issue as the unit is nice but some may not like the owners choices for furnishings and decor. The unit is very spacious and being ocean front it is used heavily and we have never had a complaint about it before. I have forwarded the review on to the owner of the unit to see if they want us to have anything done. I am never satisfied when a guest is not happy and have written many times if you are here and not happy come and ask for me yet this guest did not. You should book Aston with confidence and if we do not measure up to your expectations please come and ask for me.

Mahalo,