“Spacious, but very dated, old and uncomfortable.”

Aston at Papakea Resort
Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Macedon
“Spacious, but very dated, old and uncomfortable.”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We just returned from 10 days at Papakea. This is more of a review of our actual condo and not Papakea Resort. We stayed in Condo F405 which is an oceanfront 3br/3ba. Check in was easy. We had booked a 2br/2ba, but they upgraded us to the 3/3. Check in was easy and the upgrade appreciated. However, once I saw the room I don't really feel it was an upgrade. The space was great, but the room is nothing like what Aston advertises on their website. When I booked this, I specifically asked for an updated room as I had read the reviews about each condo being completely different depending on the owner. I went back to the front desk and asked for a different room and they said they had no other rooms available as it was Easter break. So, we accepted the room. The beds were so uncomfortable. They were like sleeping on a hard floor. Only 1 bedroom had a tv in it and it was old and the screen was hard to see the picture. The other 2 bedrooms did not even have tv's in them. I have stayed in many condos before and they always have tv's in all of the bedrooms. So, at night instead of the kids all going to their rooms to watch tv, there was 6 of us crammed onto a small couch trying to watch tv. The condo was also very hot. There was a window air conditioner that kept the living area somewhat cool, but the bedrooms were soooo hot! I had all of the windows open and we were oceanfront, but it was still so hot. The ceiling fan upstairs had a note on it that it should not be turned on high....most likely because it would spin right off the ceiling if you turned it on high. All of the ceiling fans were very shaky and barely bolted to the ceiling. The ceiling fan in the master bedroom had to get a jumpstart. I had to spin the blades by reaching up with a broom just to get it started spinning. The carpeting was really gross. I am not a picky person by any means, but I tried to do my crunches and the carpet is sticky and dirty. It looks like it has never been cleaned. I think the carpet was blue at one point, but it looks brownish gray. Papakea Resort is beautiful as far as the pools, ponds, grills, tikis that were lit at night, etc. It is in a great location and I just loved everything about the grounds. It is mostly our particular condo that I had issue with. Also, I wouldn't recommend asking Sarah, the Expedia agent any general questions unless you plan on buying an excursion thru Expedia. I asked her 2 general questions and she was short and rude to me. My kids even remarked that they felt she was not very nice. She seemed annoyed that I was not booking anything with her and that I just had 2 questions. There is a thing called common courtesy. Troy, the other Expedia agent was very friendly and helpful. So, overall the space was nice. But, for the price and considering we were a family of 6 on vacation to relax, it would have been nice to come home to a comfy bed, nice room temperature and clean carpeting after each days adventures.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Surfergirl35
Daveatpapakea, Manager at Aston at Papakea Resort, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Aloha,

I am the General Manager of the Aston at Papakea Resort and after reading this review I had to go look at this unit as it is a rare three bedroom ocean front unit that I thought I knew well. I feel this may be a personal taste issue as the unit is nice but some may not like the owners choices for furnishings and decor. The unit is very spacious and being ocean front it is used heavily and we have never had a complaint about it before. I have forwarded the review on to the owner of the unit to see if they want us to have anything done. I am never satisfied when a guest is not happy and have written many times if you are here and not happy come and ask for me yet this guest did not. You should book Aston with confidence and if we do not measure up to your expectations please come and ask for me.

Mahalo,

Dave Schneider
Aston at the Papakea Resort
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Canada
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Papakea Resort is NOT for those who want crowds around the pool, copious bars on the property, and activities day and night. It is a lovely condo-resort that caters mainly to retirees but welcomes children equally. The grounds are impeccable. The low-rise buildings, though 35 years old, are well maintained. The staff is friendly and very helpful. There are grocery and other stores just beside or across from the resort. Every unit has a full kitchen and the resort has 12 barbecues so you can cook your own meals easily. We loved having a washer and dryer. the two pools, hot tubs, shuffle board courts, tennis courts, and putting greens were never crowded. The resort is right on the beach and one of the best things about it is being able to hear the surf, day and night! We would go back!

Room Tip: The 4 ocean front buildings have the best view but most of the suites have a view and it is only a f...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SnookiePrecious
redding, ca
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I just returned from a week at Papakea. This is my first time at this property, I normally stay at Marriot Ocean Club. I do like several things about this property, it is quiet and has a nice putting green, shuffleboard and all the amenties of home. Aside that the customer service and certain things about the room could have been better. When we arived at the property at 10 am I asked for a early check in willing to pay after traveling from hana that morning and was told that my room wasn't availble until 2 or 3. Came back at 2 to check in only room was no where near what was depicted in the aston website and the sofa sleeper that we were supposed to have wasn't their. They offered us a blow up matress instead, i declined. Then the people at the front counter asked if could wait until the manager showed up and they would get me a room upgrade for the inconvience. That was fine, but when she showed up she said their was no other units clean and they will figure out where to put us and told us to go back to the original room we were unhappy with until they called. I waited another hour for their call but didn't happen. Went back to the lobbey to wait in long line for 3rd time and then she said to wait 20 minutes due to them currently cleaning it and go to another room in the J building. Being impatient at this point I went direct to the room and found no one cleaning it and it was not a upgrade like what was promised almost 2 hrs ago when I started to check in. Went back to the lobby this time and refusing to wait in line and this time got very frustrated with her regarding the current situation. She then got us another room in the same building (funny how all of these open rooms keep poping up when their was nothing at 10am) that was a upgrade to a 2 room insted of a single. This room had one broken toilet that leaked also and was in need of a good cleaning not just a spit shine. The following day we called the front desk because my wife couldn't stand how dirty it was to ask for some windex so she could clean it herself and some tp because their was none in the room we were told that we would need to buy our own cleaning suplies and tp because we didn't have a timeshare with them ??? So long story short is if you want to rent a condo with no expectations of service and to save money stay here. If you like good customer service and people that seem like they care try staying somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank ppoolman
Reviewed 14 April 2012

There's only 4 buildings ocean front. Be sure to stay in one of those. The resort shares property with kaanapali shores, so your welcome over there as well. BBQ's poolside, and the welcoming committee your next morning is a must !!

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Beapryncess
Monterey, California
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We have just returned from Papakea J-102 (VRBO #300648) and having stayed for 10 days at this wonderful resort. The owners have taken time to make sure this is a quality home. From the moment you walk into the home it is so inviting. We loved the ground floor. It was both convenient and private. It was also a great value at a great price to be able to see the ocean while we were cooking, watching TV or even working on the computer in the bedroom. You could walk right out to the beautiful grounds . The koi ponds were enjoyable and the closeness to the pool and ocean are wonderful. We had a few friends that own condos in the resort and they visited us during our stay. They all said that this is one of the nicest units. The updates in the kitchen and bathrooms alone are amazing. Do not hesitate to stay here!! It is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!! Television in the bedroom went out on the second day. The owners had it replaced by the end of the day with a new large flat screen! From our very first email contact to a follow-up after our stay, the owners maintained excellent communication. By the time we checked in, we felt like we were walking into the home of a close friend.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends