“Perfect for a Maui vacation!”

Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Calgary, Canada
“Perfect for a Maui vacation!”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Overall, we loved the place and our stay at MKV! I will recommend to friends and will return in the future. Major pros: location and room for the price. Minor cons: maid service and A/C.

Room: We stayed in a Studio suite (# 243) which was renovated and amazing. Granite countertops, very spacious, wood floors, big screen TV, gorgeous bathroom and shower, and a big private lanai (balcony). It looked more expensive than I could afford, but it was a fantastic price! Ask for a renovated room, as they are fabulous. The Villas property was great. It had two great pools, affordable restaurant on the beach, cabanas for rent on the beach, barbeque stations, and well maintained landscaping/greenery.

Location: Anywhere within the Kaanapali Beach Resort is a great location, but the Villas are North of Black Rock which I think is the best location. The beach is much less crowded and the feel of resorts are more laid back and relaxed...exactly what a Maui vacation should be.

Our only issues were 1) maid service was average at best, however many 'condo style' properties don't offer hotel maid service, so I wasn't complaining. 2) The A/C wasn't powerful enough to maintain temp during the heat of the day, and this is why it got only 4 stars. It got too warm on some of the hottest days. However, the luxurious room in the perfect location for a very affordable rate will bring me back again next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room - they are unbelievable
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mdnich
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Korean first
San Francisco
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Stayed with my family for a week. 2 kids age 4 and 5. We booked with Orbitz but I called to upgrade to a nicer room. Was worried about getting a dated grungy room so we paid extra for the "premium Oceanside" room. The upgrade was well worth it. We were in room 171 and it was close to beach, pool, restaurant, and walking path. We loved the lanai and the low key, non-resort feel. It was a studio and a bit small for four of us, but not so small that it was cramped. The grounds were awesome and well maintained. Housecleaning was bad as some other reviewers noted, and our room had a stereo system that no one could get to work which is the reason for the 4 stars. They also do not refill coffee in room daily, and u have to call if u want new beach towels. The beach was great, but a little steep for kids. They got used to the waves and ended up loving it, but did swallow some water a few times. If u r going to hang at the beach a lot, rent a cabana for a week for 100 bucks. You can walk to Whalers Village, but its not super close. We will for sure stay here again but may go for the 1 bedroom next time. Well worth it! We had a fabulous, relaxing time!

Room Tip: Ask for a premium room that seen renovated. Ground floor has grass for kids to run around.
1 Thank mrkitty3
London, Canada
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We just returned from our holiday in beautiful Maui. We travelled with our 2 kids, my mother, and my husbands parents. MKV is a great place for families. Great location, with snorkelling close by, either black rock or a large coral reef just minutes away. The Villa has beautiful grounds and with a nice gathering area. My only complaint is that the front desk staff, with the exception of one, were all very distracted and not very welcoming. I realize its a busy place, but when you have just travelled 15 hours to get there and not one person makes eye contact with you to assist with checking in, it certainly isn't the greeting that is expected. Pretty much everyday was like that. Walking in and out of the lobby area multiple times a day, we saw many unhappy visitors, with the staff seeming very impatient in dealing with anyone. With that aside, the rooms were clean and comfortable, the house keeping staff was very friendly and helpful. We will be returning to Maui again next year, I will still keep MKV in mind because of the locationand beautiful grounds!

Room Tip: Make sure to request a Lania with actual usable space. Ours was so small you could not fit a chair...
3 Thank mango1421
Rocklin
Reviewed 12 April 2012

We were there from 4/2 thru 4/6 and stayed on Room 305. We had started our honeymoon on the Big Island and then Maui! Unit 305 is a 1 bedroom, 1 bath, premium oceanview room. It was beautiful. Kitchen was lovely with granite top counters and stainless steel appliances. The kitchen had everything you could want, coffee maker, blender, toaster, utensils, etc. The frig kept everything ice cold. The bathroom was huge with two separete sinks and a seperate toilet and shower area. The bedroom was large with plenty of storage, but the bed was a best. Hoping the manager will read this and email me with the name of the type of mattress that is in that room. (happi108@gmail.com) We want to buy it ASAP!. I haven't slept that good in years. I meant to take a picture of the tag sewn on the mattress, but forgot. The unit was decorated beaufifully it had a beautiful view of Kaanapali Beach and the pool area. The grounds are kept so nicely manicured. We did not visit the pool at all! I always wondered why people go to Hawaii and spend time at a pool, but I suppose some don't like sand and salt walter! :) We were at the beach most days and its a great spot. The "grading" is less steep here than in any part of Kaanapali Beach. I have stayed all over this area, and the beach at this resort is tops!! I would recommend visiting Boss Frogs for snorkel rental, cause the guy renting equipment at the resort is high! Parking was not great. But my sweet husband would drop me off and then go find a spot! The trolley was great to get back and forth from Whalers Village or Black Rock. We paid for parking the first night and it cost $12, so use the trolley and remember to tip the nice driver! We will definately be back to the Kaanapali Villas, The staff were friendly and accomodating. The place is well kept. We slept with the two living room and bedroom sliders open every night! This is a quiet place, so if your looking to party all night, consider downtown lahaina!

Room Tip: We booked our vacation through Hawaiian Airlines Vacation Packages. I was able to add a note when I...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jacqueline L
Auburn,IN
Reviewed 11 April 2012

My family stayed here last week, and we had a wonderful time. The beach was beautiful. They have a very nice pool that had a section my 3 year old could swim in also. The room was very clean and had everything we needed. They have large grills outside. I would definitely stay here again! Probably the one and only bad thing I can think of is that the pillows weren't very comfortable..they made my neck hurt.

3 Thank jes425