“Not as good as in the past but still enjoyed our stay”

Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas
Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Fort McMurray, Canada
“Not as good as in the past but still enjoyed our stay”
Reviewed 16 February 2012

This was our fourth stay at MKV (and my sixth stay) and while it wasn't our best experience, we still feel it is a great choice. The best thing about this resort is its beach (gorgeous, less crowded) and the location - in the center of Kannapali Beach and within easy walking distance of all the resorts on the beach and Whaler's Village, and a short drive to Lahanina area. The property grounds are beautiful and we felt that the landscaping was the best we've seen it. The disappointment is with some of the rooms which require updating. We were assigned a lovely room (514 I think) at first, but it had two single beds instead of the king bed we had booked. We were then assigned room 404 which was very small with very dated and dusty/dirty decor and furnishings, and backing onto the parking lot with not much of a balcony. We stayed one night in 404 and were then lucky to get room 114 which was bigger, nicer decor, and with a nice patio area. The main issue with 114 is that the bed was very uncomfortable and the 4 pillows provided were very old, worn out and flat. Also the refridgerator froze everything, the AC unit was very noisy, the sliding door to the patio was very difficult (and noisy) to open and close, and the patio and patio furniture were very dirty. While these are all just little annoyances, we feel that some of the rooms could use a spruce-up. Usually the desk staff are excellent, but this visit we kept encountering the same grouchy desk clerk. We also usually love Castaways restaurant but had one disappointing breakfast so didn't go back this trip. The best thing about Castaways is not necessarily their food, but rather the gorgeous view from the tables located along the beach. All in all, we still love most things about the MKV, but we will pay more next time for what will hopefully be a better maintained room. We stayed in one of the rooms in the Dolphin building the time before (Feb 2011) that backed onto the pool area -- we were going to try and book this same room again directly through the owner, but were concerned about having to sleep for a week on the somewhat uncomfortable "Murphy" wall bed located in that room. In hindsight, that "Murphy" bed was much better than the bed we had in 114.

Room Tip: Ensure you have a balcony or patio area with room to sit out as some balconies are standing room onl...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rjmggftmac
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Korean first
Minnesota
Reviewed 2 February 2012

We just returned from our 2nd trip to Maui and Maui Kaanapali Villas. We checked in around 11:00pm and were greeted by a very cheerful check-in person (can't remember his name). To our surprise we found out they put us in the same room we stayed in last year at this time, room 517 in the tower with a partial ocean view. A studio. We had such a wonderful experience last year we decided to stay at MKV this year. We were not dissappointed. The complex is very quiet and relaxing.

We had breakfast, lunch, and dinner a couple of days at the resorts restaurant,Castaways, by the beach. Wonderful food and reasonable prices for Maui. You can sit outside in the evenings and enjoy a cocktail under the stars. We were not dissappointed! The weather was perfect for the the 10 days we were there, so we enjoyed the beach almost everyday! Not overcrowded. Very clean. We never used the two pools on site. With the beach right there, we didn't want to sit by a pool. There are laundry facilities on site, so we were able to go in the morning and get our laundry done.

You can walk to Whaler's Village for shopping or dining. It's about a 1 1/2 mile walk or so. Good exercise. The town of Lahaina is about 5 miles away. There is a trolley/bus that comes to MKV that can take you if you don't have a rental car or you just don't want to drive.

Our rental car wouldn't start on the first morning we were there and I thought what a great way start to our vacation. But my husband went and found a maintainence guy who helped get the car started. The staff was wonderful and made you feel at home. Merilyn, with housekeeping kept our room clean and kept the bathroom supplies stocked for us. Thank you, Merilyn. You are awesome.

So once again, we enjoyed our stay and already talking about going back again next year! We walked down the beach to the other hotels and realized they are just too busy for us. The price for our stay of 10 days was very reasonable and well worth it.

Room Tip: The tower is located next to the main highway, but with the door shut you don't really hear the...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank LoveMaui2011
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 January 2012

We absolutely loved this hotel. We had a studio apartment with partial water views. It was spacious and beautifully presented. The gardens are wonderful and the beach is private and not crowded like other resorts. If you are going to Maui stay here. Great cocktails by the pool.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank chezmelbourne
Pacific Grove, California
Reviewed 20 January 2012

The Kaanapali Villas is and always will be the place to stay in a world of mega resorts as far as I concerned in Maui.
Its a beautiful property,perfectly located and a staff that is amazing assuring my family felt comfortable and special.
Crowds are omnipresent in Maui and an the K. Villas is an oasis with great grounds, great location. You feel part of the Maui culture ie. Aloha spirit. Liked the Mai tai hour in the lobby and certainly added to its value...
The room was perfect and recently updated. We plan to return in soon and no doubt it will be the Kaanapali Villas.
Thanks to Pat the new GM and his staff for paradise dreamed becoming reality!!!
Mahalo and aloha!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank craigsf
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Overall- it was 'okay'- but next time I would go somewhere else. Maui is soo beautiful and there is so much to see, that its not necessary to stay in a beachfront hotel-- we only went to the hotel beach twice.

The rooms appeared clean- but were not properly cleaned on a daily basis. The sheets were not changed everyday- which I thought was not acceptable. My child ate chocolate and left a stain on her sheets- and it took 2 days for them to actually change it.

On 3 consecutive days we had ROACHES in the room- a small roach initially- we thought okay..lets not be one of those tourists that complain all the time. We killed it and it was fine. The next day however, there was a big roach-very disgusting..we caught it, killed it and had the room service remove it. Then on day 3 there was another roach running through the room ( my child screamed like somebody was about to kill her) and that was it for us..we were so disgusted- we had to change the room right away.

We were on the first floor initially ( the room was actually very nice- except of the roaches) and we were then upgraded to an ocean view room on the top floor. The room was old and run down compared to our room on the 1st floor- but since it was our last night, we didn't care and just wanted to leave this Hotel.

The staff/ receptionists were very helpful and nice- we didn't have to pay the extra hotel fee for the last 4 nights---but that still doesn't change the fact that there were roaches in the room. I would have been more satisfied if I got a refund for the last 4 hotel nights we spent ..all together we were there for 2 weeks. If it wasn't for the roaches, I would recommend this hotel-- but I'm sorry, I can't. And its not needed because when you're in Maui- there is so much to see, so many nice beaches, that it would make more sense to get a very cheap -BUT CLEAN place.

And NO- please don't use the excuse that this is tropical and roaches aren't a big deal... I'm sorry but I've been to many many tropical places in this world ( Maledive Islands, Egypt, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Brazil, Mexico, Colombia, Venezuela, Barbados, Bahamas, Dominican Republic, Aruba....and I can go on and on with my list of places I've visited)-----BUT NEVER ,never , never HAD ROACHES IN MY ROOM! And the hotels I've been to were all between 2-4 stars hotels.

I loved Maui-I will definitely come back to this amazing, magical island---but I will not come to this Hotel anymore. As I said- the Hotel itself, isn't bad, perfect location,the rooms are average, nice people, nice beach, good price----------but the room service (maids) and ROACHES IS AN ABSOLUTE NO NO!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank cococure
PatFlinn, General Manager at Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas, responded to this review, 16 January 2012
Aloha-
Thank you for the nice things you said about our resort and our staff. I am sorry that you had roaches in your room. There is no excuse, so let me offer my apologies. I hope you will reconsider our resort in the future as the positive attributes are substantial. I sincerely appreciate reviews where guests are even handed in their posts, and I think you certainly were.
Mahalo