“THE BEST ACTIVITY TO DO ON MAUI, HANDS DOWN!”

Safari Boat Excursions
More attraction details
Owner description: Lanakila is the only boat in Lahaina harbor meeting current EPA standards and is the most technology advanced boat available. Passengers can experience destinations previously unimaginable due to the design of this boat. Our boat is a fast as any raft., but go where they can't. Take a chance let your imagination roam and come out on the best boat on Maui.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed 15 June 2012

As Captain Dave put it, this is NOT JUST a snorkel trip... it's an ADVENTURE! This was by far the BEST thing my husband and I did while on the island! Seeing shipwreck beach, hearing about the Lanai legends, three different snorkel spots, and being driven into the mouth of a cave, were just some of the highlights! Captain Dave is hilarious and yes, crazy! :) But I never once felt like he wasn't capable of the things he was doing. I felt totally safe in his and Eric's hands. While we didn't get to see any dolphins (must not have been the dolphins' day), for my first snorkeling experience, it was more than I could have ever dreamed! I was unable to find the same snorkeling in any of the other places I went to on Maui. We didn't have to deal with any other people from other excursions, nor did we have to deal with any people just snorkeling off the beach, like I encountered at other beaches on Maui, during my own snorkeling adventures. Instead, my husband and I got to share each snorkel spot with only 30 other people. The boat reminds me of a river jet boat in the way that it handles the water and maneuvers through the channels. Oh, and be prepared to get a couple of extra hours than you originally planned... Don't go on this trip with a time frame in mind! Plan on the whole day because you will be out there the whole day anyway! :) Our 5-6 hour trip turned into 8.5! And no, Captain Dave didn't charge us extra! :)

If you are a stick in the mud and not ready to have a wild, crazy, fun time, skip this trip. However, if you are ready for the time of your life, amazing scenery, fantastic snorkeling, rockin' music, and a fun and happy go lucky crew, it is totally and completely worth the money!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 11 June 2012

I received my first trip to Hawaii as a graduation present. My two aunts, my mother, and a friend of theirs attended the trip as well. This was also my first time snorkeling. Captain Dave is a crazy, fun, upbeat guy to be around. He is what made the trip sooo much fun. He engaged in talking to me throughout the trip and was very informative everywhere we went. He knew everything about Lanai. This was by far the favorite part of my trip. I had so much fun and such a good time that I went back the next day! Even though we went to the same spots we seen more and different fish. This trip was amazing and the greatest! It is a MUST for anyone who is going to Maui.

3  Thank Cara F
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Our family of 6 - mom, sister, wife, niece and nephew (both over 20) had the time of our lives today, and mom and niece didn't even get into the water! The snorkeling was more than we could have dreamed - everywhere we went we were the only ones there and so full of fish and things to see for all levels of newbie-ism in snorkeling levels! The ones who didn't snorkel had almost as great of a time - the scenery was amazing, and the whole trip has a custom made and well thought out soundtrack. Captain Dave is mental (in a great, fun way), and Bobby was fantastic! Both were knowledgeable, helpful and patient. Also, as a great surprise, the food was really good and there was plenty of it - even dessert! Would recommend this highly to absolutely anyone! Thanks guys!

1  Thank Aura C
Reviewed 4 June 2012

My husband and son (8 years old) went on this trip a year ago. Captain Dave engaged my little boy very well, and my husband and son had the best time ever.

I couldn't go because my daughter was only 4 years old, but we have kept her in swim lessons for an entire year and a half so she can enjoy this trip. We are all planning to go on this trip once (possibly twice) while we are on vacation.

I can't wait to see Captain Dave after my husband said how much fun he made the trip. I agree with the cell phones. Turn them off - you're in paradise!!

Reviewed 3 June 2012

My husband and I (ages 45) recently went on the Safari Boat Excursion than goes around Lanai. We first met Bobby (crew) the morning of our excursion and he was great. Then comes along Captain Dave. He is like a 5 year old on way too much sugar. His actions and rantings are almost that of a lunatic. He certainly does know how to handle his boat -- but I do think some of the antics he does are not always the safest for his passengers. Going around Lanai sounds great, however, it really isn't such a great thing. You end up spending way to much time on the boat just to get to the first snorkelling spot. The day was 9 hours -- about 2 more that I had planned on. The 3 diving spots are great. The last two (Buddah Bay and Shark Fin) were amazing. The first one really isn't necessary considering the quality of snorkelling at the last 2. Captain Dave says very inappropriate remarks to some of the younger single female passengers. In fact, they would be classified as sexual harassment. I must tell you that Bobby is absolutely great and nothing like Captain Dave. I think this boat is maybe more of a "party" boat for teens and 20 somethings. I would not recommend this to anyone I know going to Maui simply because of Captain Dave. He ruined it for us!

2  Thank susan658
captaindavid14, Owner at Safari Boat Excursions, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2012

Aloha and thank you for writing review. We appreciate all reviews wether good or bad because it allows us the opportunity as a company to look at ourselves thru some one else's eyes.

I wish to congratulate you as you are the only person of the 335 reviews of our company who has taken the time to write so many trip advisor reviews. This is important because it is obvious that you take your opinion very seriously and wish to share it with others too (advise ??) them in future vacations. Since you do take your opinion so seriously that your willing to write 15 reviews about the things you have done. I can only imagine this takes alot of time. I think it's only fair that I take the time to address your concerns in a precise manner.

#1 Boarding time is 7 A.M. It takes 15 minutes on average for everyone to board the boat and stow their items in the proper place. We then proceed outside the harbor to conduct a safety briefing. I am a U.S.C.G. 100 ton Master Captain and as such am required by law to give a safety briefing of the vessel. This can be extremely boring monologue or you can be silly and have fun like a 5 year old on sugar explaining the safety features of the boat which are extremely important. I hope that making people laugh while still waking up makes them pay more attention. Who listens to safety stuff on planes???? ZZZZZZZZZZZ. This existing the harbor and safety briefing takes 1/2 hour so it's now 7:30 A.M.

I have never heard anyone mention that it was a waste of time to travel to the places that no one else goes. Around 8:00 A.M. we arrive at a WW 2.ship wreck. A liberty ship built in 1932. 220' long made of concrete designed to carry gasoline and bullets . A very rare sight which few people in the world less then 1/1000 of 1 % will ever see. We then continue down an incredibly baron coast line littered with over 16 boats and 4 ship wrecks plus covered with many other types of debris. This area has wrecks for a reason it is a rough channel 1 of the roughest in the world at times. That is why there are shipwrecks and also why no one else goes to these locations because their boats can't.

I have taken over 1800 trips around this island. I have done trips to Alaska thru 2 hurricanes and over the last 24 years have probably had close to a million people on different types of trips on Maui and the big Island, even doing submarine tours down to depths of 150' or 50 meters since your Canadian. To insinuate that I was doing things that are unsafe is out of line and irresponsible.

So we arrive @ the 1st snorkel spot which you said was amazing yet not worth the journey after only 1 hour of actual drive time. The rest was chatting about scenery, shipwrecks , scary legends of the Island and yes safety stuff.

It is 9:00 . A.M. Where we have breakfast and snorkel. The site where N.O A.A. fisheries has declared one of the most diverse sites in Hawaii. 97 different varieties of fish have been identified here. Because of the journey to get where we are now. You can experience the incredible sights, scenery and snorkeling that neither Maui, Molokiini or any other boat trip can offer. The backside of Lanai is I guarantee worth every second of the journey and you will reap the rewards. We see things that are not imaginable as you stated in your review of the snorkel spots. Plus you never mentioned the cliffs, caves , dolphins, birds, nor did you talk how magical it can be w/o snorkeling.

To address anything said about 2 young passengers who are friends of Safari Boat Excursions on facebook and went on the boat 1 more time during their stay with parents in tow is not appropriate.That was an awful accusation.

Jokes are made thru out the trip. Cell phones are my lunatic rave and it will not change. They must be shut off. Many many things are available on Maui. Do the ordinary if you want.

IF YOU WANT TO DO THINGS THAT CHALLENGE YOU. IF WANT TO HAVE THE CHANCE TO JUMP OFF CLIFFS AND SWIM THRU LAVA TUBES THEN DO THIS . Go WHERE NO ONE ELSE GOES.DO WHAT NO ONE ELSE DOES.

Oh and if you want to get an extra 2 hours on a boat on Maui free of charge. ( Who complains about extra time on the water????? ) Then Safari Boat Excursions and the 5 year old old captain are waiting for you. Bring your silly button.

See you soon Aloha Captain David