Chances are, if you book at Ho'oilo House, you're looking for a tropical escape away from the crowded resorts of Lahaina and that is just what you'll get at this stunning property. It is a meticulously decorated and maintained sanctuary just a 10 minute drive outside downtown Lahaina. It truly is a hidden gem, so well-removed that you may not see it immediately up the very long shared driveway, but don't despair: you just have to follow the road all the way to the top and it's there on the right.
When we arrived on January 4, Amy and Dan - the famed owners - were away on vacation so they left their Uncle Hal in charge. He was more than helpful upon arrival when we reiterated my dietary restrictions for breakfast, then he graciously left us to our honeymoon business. You won't be hounded here like some other B&B's to take part in communal anything, thank goodness. This is truly "our house is your house" and you can come and go as you please. In fact, we never even saw the other guests the entire four night stay even though they were totally full!
Some standouts: the palatial suites have lovely touches like antique furnishings. We stayed in Nalu with the Chinese Wedding Bed (rather crib-like but cool) and the outdoor shower looked over Lanai in the distance. What more could you ask for, showering with 180 degree views of the Pacific? This is an Eco-friendly B&B so they aren't big on fresh towels every day unless requested. Breakfasts are healthy and delicious and usually include muffins, fruit, yogurt, hard-boiled eggs, coffee and fresh juices. If you're off early on an excursion, they will pack you a breakfast to-go and put it in your room by 9:00 PM the previous night. Now THAT is aloha. The landscaping was so perfect, we actually felt like we were in some Merchant Ivory film set in the South Pacific.
The experience at Ho'oilo House is unique in the Hawaiian Islands - and on Maui, especially - so do yourself a favor and consider not staying at one of the monster resorts in Kaanapali and book this tranquil slice of Bali instead.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the West Maui Mountains, this quiet, private Bed & Breakfast offers incredible views of the Pacific Ocean and islands surrounding Maui. Located on the popular west side of the island, you will be just minutes from the historic whaling town of Lahaina and the Kaanapali resort area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Ho'oilo House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ho`Oilo House Hotel Lahaina
- Ho'Oilo House Maui/Lahaina