“Everyone's favorite part of our trip - bar none!”

The Ocean Project On Maui
Book In Advance
More Info
US$ 117.11*
and up
Lanai Island Dolphin and Snorkel Cruise from Maui
Reviewed 27 October 2016

Both my husband and I as well as our 4 children had been snorkeling before as part of boat trips. It never seemed to click and our kids ended-up more frustrated than enchanted. That all changed the day we met Mel and his assistant on the beach. From providing boogie bards and wet suits, books and discussion and AMAZING pictures Mel took care of every detail. We swam with so many turtles and they were literally close enough not just to touch but to hug. Don't of course! We saw the fish we learned about with Mel before we got in the water, and even a Ray and a shark! Both the ray and the shark swam away from our group at warp speed so please don't let that make you nervous! After we were done Mel spent some time with me going over a map to show me other spots we could snorkel as a family. And then when we return home he sent us the truly once in a lifetime pictures they had taken! I am so glad we chose to snorkel with Ocean Project!

1  Thank Momtwofour4
in 9 reviews
"activity"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed 22 October 2016

This was an incredible experience that our family will forever cherish! Our purpose in booking with Ocean Project was to get our two girls (11, 6) a proper snorkeling lesson, as well as introduce them to ocean safety and expose them to Maui's marine life. All of this was 100% accomplished, and more!

Mel is super easy to work, thorough, knowledgeable and great with kids. We contacted Mel at least 4 months prior to arriving on Maui. It is important to make sure you book early and it is ideal to have the tour on your 2nd full day on the island. They will provide EVERYTHING you need - really! We are now big believers in wet suits, even with warm water temps it really helps to keep the kids comfortable, warm and adds buoyancy.

Mel starts with a little lesson on the beach about sea turtles, fish types, etc. and provides pictures, real turtle bones, fish, etc. The kids loved it! They also got little kits to take home to remember the life cycle of sea turtles.

The snorkel lesson itself was amazing! I have a new appreciation for the ocean and all that life in it. I swam among at least 7 turtles - will never forget it! All the while Mel is taking pictures. Our youngest started out sitting on a boogie board looking through a floating telescope to see below. Eventually, after she was comfortable, she put the mask on and actually snorkeled! Couldn't believe it.

Having done the lesson on our 2nd day, we were able to use this experience and everything we learned to make the rest of our trip so much more enjoyable in the water. It was money well spent for our family, and so thankful we found Ocean Project.

Reviewed 25 September 2016

My husband and I took our 3.5-year old son on a snorkeling trip with the Ocean Project. It was perfect! My son doesn't swim yet and we weren't even sure he would get in the water. But Mel was so great and helped make sure we were all comfortable. It was fun and educational. We saw so many fish! Mel was great at pointing out the fish and knew exactly where to find the sea turtles. The day after our trip we received an email with tons of pictures that were taken during the snorkel. Definitely a highlight of our trip.

1  Thank SDlocal65
Reviewed 2 September 2016

So, so, sooooo glad we booked this trip with Mel and Laura. My two young daughters, 7 and 8 were so excited to snorkel, but I was very hesitant about them going on an ordinary snorkeling trip on a boat in the middle of ocean. I wanted them to have a great first snorkeling experience and that was EXACTLY what we got. Mel and Laura were very patient and explained every step. When we got in the water, I was still nervous, not because of any of their doing, just my own worrywort self! Within five minutes I felt totally fine and it was a great trip and was reassured by the smiles we had all around. When my little one got tired of the mask and snorkel, Mel had a great viewing device where she could sit on top of a boogie board while he steered and she still got to see what was going on in the ocean below. HIGHLY reccommended. You won't regret it.

See more reviews
Reviewed 25 July 2016 via mobile

We were about to book a classic big boat snorkeling trip but had reservations about how our 9 and 13-year-old would cope - never mind our ability to teach them, look after them and still enjoy it ourselves. Then we found the flyer, I called and spoke to Mel and it was the best thing that happened to us on our Maui vacation. No stress, a lot of fun, he managed all our varying levels of ability and experience and gave us all confidence. We were out for 2 hours, swam with turtles, learned about the fish, the coral and more. None of us wanted to go back in to shore. For a family that's not sure how best to do it, this is worth every single cent. And we got great photos too! Mel is pure gold.