My wife and I stayed at Lahaina's Last Resort for 15 nights, and will definitely spend some time here again when we come back to Maui!
The staff and guests at Lahaina's Last Resort were what really made the trip. Mike and Greg run a visitor information/activity desk from the same building as the hostel and can book just about any activity you can think of. They also go on hiking, camping and partying excursions with the guests staying at the hostel, and are great guides and company. We met other travelers from all over the world (Germany, Alaska, the continental US, Ireland, China, etc.) as well, and were never short of things to do or people to hang out with. The spectrum of activities ranges from things you'd put on a postcard to your grandparents to things that "Stay In Maui". For the latter, be sure to check out Little Beach on Sunday!
The Location: Only 2 blocks off of Front Street and the beach, a block from foodland, and a block from some great (and surprisingly cheap) restaurants. Check out the breakfast at No. 1 Barbecue for $3.75, and the Lahaina Cafe for some of the best (and cheapest) food in Lahaina until 4:00am. Snorkeling or shore diving at Mala Ramp is only a few blocks away. You can catch a bus at the Wharf which goes all over the island for $2/day. Parking at the hostel is free if you have a rental car.
The Facilities: Although nothing exciting, at $70/night you can't go wrong. Clean, comfortable and safe accommodations. We stayed in the "Rainbow Room", which is brightly painted and has A/C, a microwave, mini-fridge, and a sliding door leading to a deck. The deck is in a blind alley between the building and the sound wall on the side of route 30. Not much of a view, but it's a nice place to sit and there's some patio furniture and a charcoal barbecue available. The mattress had seen better days, but linens were clean and fresh (and were replaced once for us during our stay, which was an unexpected bonus in a hostel!). There were absolutely NO issues with bedbugs. There were some small ants that made their way into the room, but didn't appear to bite. The shared bathrooms were in good repair, with 2 stalls, 2 sinks, 2 showers and working hot water. There's also free wifi, and a full-size communal fridge by the activities desk.
Sleep: We had a lot of late nights, some of which took place at the hostel. If you're really counting on that 9:00pm quiet time, you may want to look elsewhere. Usually if anything is happening after around 11:00 it'll be quiet, away from the hostel or everyone will be involved. We never felt like anything (other than a bad sunburn) interfered with getting a good night's sleep when we wanted it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lahaina's Last resort hostel is a truly backpackers Hostel and prove that there is no reason to settle for staying anywhere but in the heart of Old Lahaina Town. Its quaint seafront, numerous art galleries, legendary restaurants, and good nightlife have been calling to visitors for years. Foodland grocery store is a three minute walk towards town. 2.5 miles from the celebrated Ka'anapali Beach and walking distance from the beautiful Baby Beach in Lahaina! We believe that when traveling, the five most important elements of that "Once in a lifetime" experience include: great location, comfort, safety, good value for money, and great people - and this is what we are proud to bring to you at Once. We want you to feel at home here at The Lahaina's Last Resort Hostel That's why we included all of the following for your comfort WE OFFER: Free Different Tours/activities of Maui: MONDAY: Kanaha beach Park TUESDAY: Snorkel (Kapalua Bay and Napili Bay) WEDNESDAY: Hike Bamboo Forest THURSDAY: Snorkel (Ka'anapali Beach and Honolua Bay) FRIDAY: BBQ Night SATURDAY: Northwestern Coast (Blow Hole, Olivine Pools and a short hike 'Lower Makamaka'ole Falls') SUNDAY: Fun day at Little Beach and Big Beach AMENITIES: -Free Breakfast -Free Wi-Fi -Free parking -Fire-Proof Security Safe at Front Desk. -Free Luggage Storage -Free use of boogie boards -Free use of Snorkel equipment -Free use of Surfboard -Board Games -Free City Maps -BBQ charcoal grill -Coin-up Laundry -Linens provided -Air conditioner and mini fridge in all the rooms -Free use of Foosball -Free use of Tennis racquets and balls (Public tennis courts are available in Lahaina) Staff at the resort can help plan visits and reserve excursions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld so you can book your Lahaina's Last Resort Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lahaina`s Last Hotel Lahaina
- Lahaina's Last Resort Hostel Maui