Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Official Website
US$ 436
US$ 388
  • Pool
Aston at Papakea Resort(Lahaina)(Great Value!)
US$ 428
US$ 285
Hotels.com
Royal Lahaina Resort(Lahaina)(Great Value!)
US$ 308
US$ 411
US$ 1,402
US$ 1,351
  • Beachfront
No availability for your dates from our partners
3,348 results
All reviewskonea towerduke's restaurantaina marketgourmet marketbosch appliancesfull kitchensewage treatment plantocean viewthrough vrbokaanapali beach rentalsevery other daywasher and dryertimes marketquiet poolgrocery storehigh end appliancesunderground parking
Reviewed 18 July 2012

My family and I stayed at the Honua Kai Resort and Spa in October 2011 for my wedding. The resort is in a prime location on Kaanapali Highway. The room came fully equipped with a refrigerator, washer/dryer, dishwasher, plates and glasses, and a brand new flat-screen plasma TV in the living room and each of the bedrooms. We rented unit #209 (Honua Kai Hokulani unit# 209) - 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, living room, full top-of-the-line kitchen and an amazing wrap around balcony. Unit #209 is the only unit with this wonderful floorplan. Large table and chairs on balcony too. A wonderful spot to have your morning coffee. The amenities are nice and the surround area is quiet. Dukes Restaurant is conveniently located right on the property - great atmosphere and quality of food is great for the price. We'll be staying at Honua Kai for our next trip to Maui!!!

Room Tip: Would highly recommend unit #209 - two bedrooms and two bath, nice balcony and view of pool and beach. Unit #209 (Honua Kai Hokulani) is available only through Kaanapali Beach Properties, Inc 800 887-7654
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank SeattleGirl73
Reviewed 17 July 2012

My family of 4 are on our 4th night stay here. We couldn't be happier! The grounds are extremely clean and well maintained. We rented a 1bedroom suite. There is more than enough room for us four! The extended lanai gives added space. The kitchen and laundry were very handy and enabled us to pack lighter and save $ on meals. The pools were never overcrowded and there was always plenty of room and chairs. The hotel market has great panini's and gelato. Duke's was just "ok" and a bit overpriced. Honua is close to everything you need; grocery, whaler's village, etc... I highly recommend this resort. We rented room 338 which had a beautiful ocean view from the lanai. A great place to have coffee in the morning. Any meals w e had in the room were eaten in the lanai:)

Room Tip: We are staying in the newer tower, Hokulani Tower.
1  Thank Maddon0
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We traveled with our daughter and her husband and our 2 granddaughters, aged 17 and 19. We had 3 spacious bedrooms, two with ensuite baths (girls lost!) and the best kitchen I have ever experienced. The grounds were breathtaking and the kids went snorkeling just off the hotel grounds and haven't stopped talking about it yet! We were upgraded to an ocean front unit - lookingout over Duke's restaurant - so we had our own grill on the lanai and used it freely. My only complaint is that there weren't enough cooking pots and pans to my taste. We ate in for most of our meals and I was juggling to get breakfast done with just one 10 in stainless steel frying pan! We are already planning our next trip to Maui and it will definitely be at the Honua Kai!

Room Tip: VRBO (Vacation Rentals By Owner)
1  Thank WaSeniorTraveler
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I hate giving highly rated places a low rating, but despite trying to look past the faults, I can't give this hotel more than a 2 or 3. First of all, our small family of 3 quickly discovered that we were more suited to staying at a hotel (this was our first time staying at a condominium hotel). For those large families or people staying for an extended period of time, I can see how the full kitchen and insuite laundry can come in very handy. We were only staying for less than a week so the benefits weren't fully appreciated. However, the Honua Kai still disappointed.

The day of check-in we were greeted by the valet who are overall quite friendly. Doorman service was very quick. Front desk staff are lackluster and could smile more and be more accommodating. Concierge ladies are extremely helpful and friendly but I suggest booking most of your activities directly as there were a couple ones that the concierge was unable to book me into but I called the company myself and was able to book.

Now to the room... We arrived at our one bedroom suite and were at first impressed. All the appliances are top quality (Bosch) and there was enough space for everyone to sleep. That's as far as the pros go. There were several (very obvious) things broken in our suite and we spent the first day in Maui dealing with maintenance- not what we paid good money to do and housekeeping simply ignored, i.e. the toilet paper roll holder in the bathroom was completely unhinged and broken so housekeeping put the toilet paper next to it instead of fixing it? Carpet was very wet and sticky when we arrived, I assume because it had just been cleaned. It took forever to dry and made everything else sticky too. Bed sheets felt damp and uncomfortable and instead of enjoying crawling into bed after a fun filled day, I dreaded it here.

Duke's Beach Point restaurant was very good, not amazing but good. Towel/pool service SUCKS. There is a snooty lady that works there and not enough servers providing drinks by the pool. We rented out an umbrella and some chairs for the beach and handed over our credit card but wasn't even told how much. We later found out we were charged $60!!!!! I have never paid that much for an umbrella, maybe $30 at max. We snorkeled at the beach in front of our hotel and saw a decent amount of fish. I heard snorkeling at the beach at Kaanapali right next to us was better though.

For the price and reputation we really hoped we would be blown away by the Honua Kai but we weren't. I would not recommend anyone to stay at this hotel, unless maybe for people with big families but even then renting out a regular condo would be cheaper and probably about the same.

11  Thank janerbabe
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Overall, we would recommend the Honua Kai resort. As a family with 3 teenagers, we needed a place to spread out. The 3 bedroom condo gave us just that with two of the rooms having their own bathroom, and the third bathroom across the hall from the bedroom. All three rooms had king size beds, and the staff split one of the beds into two twins so that all three kids had their own bed. The kitchen and living space was adequate for our needs. Overall, the staff were friendly and responsive.

There are a few items that could be improved, which is why we are only giving four stars. There is a closet washer/dryer, but they are very small. The dryer also would take 4-5 hours just to dry a few towels. We just ended up hanging all of the clothes in the closet to dry all week, and that worked...just an inconvenience we would not expect for the price of the room.

We had to pay rental fees for chairs, boogie boards, etc. as you would expect at most resorts. We were very surprised at their draconian policy on beach towels. We received 5 cards, and you had to exchange them for a towel (not any bigger than a bath towel). If you lost a card or towel, you would be charged $25 dollars each. We just ended up buying real beach towels at the ABC store. Again, not something you would expect to have to do when paying $850 dollars per night for an 8 night stay.

Bottom line, very nice resort with a few items that need to be addressed to be top notch.

Room Tip: Pick a room with an ocean or partial ocean view - it is gorgeous.
5  Thank Dave-in-Iowa