29 people are viewing this hotel
$1,643
Free cancellation until 12/02/23
$1,590
Free cancellation until 12/02/23
Reserve now, pay at stay
Trip.com
$1,166
Free cancellation until 13/02/23
Travelocity$1,643
Priceline$1,696
Hotels.com$1,643
6,610 results
All reviews beach tower whalers village adult pool ocean view ono self parking our honeymoon black rock hula grill koi fish abc store an umbrella an upgrade towel cards four seasons pool chairs lobby area
Selected filters
Reviewed 31 October 2022

The property is located close to a lot of restaurants and Whalers Village.

There are two towers (Ocean Tower and Hokupa'a). Consumers beware of the old decrepit Ocean Tower. While the rooms are very expensive, you will be greeted with cracking and peeling wallpaper, carpet, so dirty, that your white socks become brown and sticky. Furniture that is extremely out of style, worn-out, and need replaced graces the room. Room lighting is abysmal at best. One floor lamp would make a world of difference.

As an Ambassador Elite member, I stayed on points but was extremely disappointed with my Ocean Tower room and the property’s policy does not offer a complimentary upgrade to an Ambassador member to the Hopua’a tower is unfortunate. However, for a price, they will relocate you to the Hopua’a tower. I was offered a Luxury Ocean, Larger Guest room, 1 King, Sofa bed, Ocean view, The Lanai access for an additional $500 per night.

As for service, I expected an arrival gift, at a minimum, as an Ambassador Elite member. Needless, to say, a there is no welcome gift. In fact, I usually get dried fruits and nuts staying at a Renaissance property. Not sure why, but no arrival gift is offered at a Westin Resort. Housekeeping was adequate but nothing stellar. I like my room attended to in the morning and requested such service and it worked for 2 days out of a 13 day stay. After that, I was lucky if the room was attended to before 3 PM even after requesting early housekeeping a second time.

Would I stay at this property in the future? No, is the most likely answer unless management makes an effort to recognize what it takes to become Ambassador Elite and treat that tier guest accordingly.

Again, the property is in a great location and the grounds are immaculate.

Room tip: Ocean Tower Top Floor has the million-dollar view
1  Thank btV701OM
Team Marriott, Guest Services / Front Office at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa Ka'anapali, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2022

Aloha btV701OM,

It was our pleasure to welcome you to our resort, and we extend our gratitude for your loyalty as a Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite member. We strive to provide service that exceeds our guests' expectations and to ensure our valued members feel welcomed. We sincerely apologize that you were disappointed with our member benefits and the overall condition of your guestroom. Your feedback is essential to us as we continually take appropriate steps to ensure we deliver refreshing accommodations and attentive, intuitive hospitality. We are glad our serene property and central location made a better impression. We would be honored to host you whenever you return to Maui; we hope to prove ourselves to your during a future visit. Mahalo for being our guest.

Reviewed 20 October 2022

Everything we have encountered with our plans, that we made before we arrived, have not been what was promised or expected. The hotel grounds are very nice. The rooms leave a lot to be desired. Staff are downright deceitful. We will not stay here again.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank B1296VNrichardp
Team Marriott, Guest Services / Front Office at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa Ka'anapali, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2022

Aloha B1296VNrichardp,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your review. We always love knowing what our guests enjoyed about their stay and what could have enhanced their experience. While we are pleased you enjoyed our beautiful, serene property, we are very sorry for the service issues you encountered during your stay. Providing only the best hospitality to our guests is our priority, and we are disappointed if there was any miscommunication on our part regarding your stay and planned activities. We take your concerns very seriously and will share your remarks appropriately with our leadership team. Mahalo for choosing our resort. We do hope you will give us another opportunity to regain your complete trust.

Reviewed 18 October 2022

We had a great stay at the Westin with our 2 kids through a Costco Travel reservation. We chose the hotel because of the awesome pool options and it did not disappoint. The kids had a great time at all 3 kid-friendly pool. The water slides were a hit! They were disappointed that the hot tubs were not available to kids. We were looking for a hassle-free resort type of family vacation and it was exactly what we got. We loved that the room was serviced each day. The shower pressure was impressive. The food is insanely expensive as expected - and not particularly high quality (as expected). Waicoco is a great, high quality restaurant, but also extremely pricey. The rental prices were also incredibly steep.

Date of stay: October 2022
Team Marriott, Guest Services / Front Office at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa Ka'anapali, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2022

Aloha Olya1,

Mahalo for choosing The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali. It is lovely to read that we exceeded your expectations and that you particularly enjoyed our relaxing property, including our five outdoor pools, enriching amenities, rejuvenating guestrooms, and in-house restaurant Waicoco. We appreciate your additional comments. It was a pleasure having you as our guest, and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back on a future visit.

Reviewed 17 October 2022

I have stayed at the Westin Maui Resort many times since 1990 and the absolute highlight has always been my time with Michael, who has become a very good friend over the years. Unfortunately I can no longer afford to stay at the hotel, but will always make it a point to stop by and spend time with him. He is a treasure to the island and an absolute gem of an individual. Anyone staying at the hotel should seek out Michael and find out for themselves!

Room tip: Our favorite rooms are on the 2nd or 3rd floor directly above the waterfall.
Date of stay: September 2022
Team Marriott, Guest Services / Front Office at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa Ka'anapali, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2022

Aloha Freedom627696,

We are pleased that you enjoyed an energizing and fulfilling stay at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali. Mahalo for your generous comments regarding our Hawaiian and thoughtful service. We are excited to share your kind remarks with our associates, especially Michael. They are committed to enhancing each guests' visit with exceptional hospitality, and we appreciate your recognition of their service. Michael will be elated to hear your kind remarks. Mahalo for being our guest again and for your continued patronage, and we hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 14 October 2022

I am not sure where to send this letter so I am leaving it here.
I am writing this letter after staying at your hotel last week. This letter is about the poor response to customer service request that resulted in dissatisfaction.
After careful deliberation and discussion with my family, including our two kids (ages 8 and 10) we chose your property with excitement. It was our first vacation after years of waiting do to the pandemic. We carefully planned it with the help of the concierge service who were patient in answering our questions and helping to plan a great trip.
We received the email regarding the closure of the waterslide and kids area one week before our arrival. Okay, clearly disappointed, but I understand that pool maintenance needs to happen. I’d like to point out that we got the email AFTER our option to cancel had passed and I struggle to believe that these dates were picked one week before the shut down of the pool. But trying to be the optimist, and seeing this as a surmountable bump in the road, I called the concierge to ask what the other features of your pools were so that I could talk up pool because (besides the fact, the entire reason we picked your hotel was because of the kid pools and waterslide) to a 8 and 10 year old, a waterslide means everything. I was transferred to a department that unfortunately I couldn’t understand the name of, but possibly a service recovery? Which I thought odd because all I wanted was an answer to what I felt was a very easy question. When I asked the question “I am trying to manage the expectations and disappointment for my kids regarding the closure of the waterslide. Could you tell me the other features of the pool so I can talk it up and bring what I need for them to have an amazing experience?” The woman I was transferred to responded with, “why would you pick a hotel because of its pool? I don’t know the answer to your question” The tone of voice condescending. I was so shocked and disappointed at the response. I didn’t even have a response. I get I haven’t travelled in quite a while, but I have to imagine given that your website shows multiple pictures of the waterslide, I can’t be the only person who would pick a hotel because of it’s pools when traveling with kids. I was immediately very put off and upset. She couldn’t answer the question and did not offer to transfer me to a department that could. All I could do was thank her for her time and end the conversation. I emailed the concierge I was in prior contact with to state that the department I was transferred to was less than helpful and is there another department that I could talk to that would know the (seemingly) answer to my question? She was not aware of one. I asked for a manager to contact me because maybe they would know. She sated she would reach out and have a manager call me. No one ever did. I arrived to the hotel and asked again, could a manager reach out to me. Again, silence. I emailed again the concierge (Ramona) asking for a manager to reach out to me, and she reach out with an apology that no one ever got back to me, but that was it, no mention about trying again to get a manager. The lack of action was honestly incredibly upsetting. Given that we have not had a family vacation in years, I can’t begin to tell you the bad taste left in my mouth (so to speak) over what was seemingly a benign request. It was clear (after I got there) that all someone had to do was transfer me to the pool hut where the towels and rentals were distributed. Instead I got a person asking why I would ever pick a hotel because of a pool, and no response by a manager after multiple requests. I asked three times while I was staying there for a manger to reach out to me and again, silence. I understand that the concierge service is a contracted out, but they represent the Westin. So poor performance by them still reflects poorly on the Westin.
Other issues I would like to point out that occurred while staying there:
I was asked by the concierge and at check in if we were celebrating anything special - we were- my daughter’s 10th birthday, my husband’s 45th birthday and our anniversary. I didn’t expect anything, but out of curiosity, why keep asking if you aren’t going to do anything with that information. But when you keep asking, it feels like you plan of doing something with that information. So if you aren’t going to do anything with that information, stop asking for it.
I was told by the concierge AFTER I reserved my stay that there would be a shuttle service. Then when I got there, the concierge service said there wasn’t any shuttle service. When we went out the valet area to get to the other Westin, they were incredibly gracious and offered to drive us down to the Westin, Villas there was a mix response of yes there is a shuttle service and no there isn’t. After our time at the Westing Villas, we went to head back to the Resort, the Valets at the Westin Villas stated there was a Shuttle and we could take it. So we waited for the Shuttle but would drop us off at the Whalers Mall (totally fine). But when it arrived and we went to get on, the driver stated we couldn’t take it because we were staying at the Westin Resort, not the Westin Villas. I can’t begin to tell you how many mixed messages we got and it was frustrating.
The concierge signed us up for lei making and crown making (sorry, I don’t remember what you call the crown making). The concierge was meticulous in making sure it landed well with the night we reserved to do the luau. Great! Insert extreme excitement from my daughter about making a lei. Until we got to the craft table to make them. Turns out they weren’t doing lei making and it wasn’t on the agenda. It seriously feels like the left hand isn’t talking to the right hand. So again, lack of communication and a disappointed daughter.
Through the concierge service we had arranged for Dragon boat experience. It got cancelled. Okay, understandable, it happens. We asked to se if it could be rescheduled. After no one reached out to use to get it rescheduled, we asked again. It got rescheduled but cancelled again. There was never an offer by the concierge service to try another location. I ended up called the company directly and they asked if we would be willing to launch from the Westin Villas and if so, we could be accommodated. Which we were happy to do (and did), but again, with no help from the concierge service.
I feel like many of these above listed issues would easily be remedied if there was clear communication. Or even an all managers morning meeting that would take no more than 15 minutes to address any changes in schedules, concerns, safety issues. (if hospitals can do it, you can too!) Then they could take the info back to the workers of the day. Even if you have multiple subcontracted companies that help run the hotel, communication should be clear across the board to all companies and employees that represent the Westin. You fell quite short on this.
I will say in general, we did have a lovely holiday. The Lanai in the new tower is incredible and worth the extra expense. They could do a bit better in announcing what is on tap for the day in The Lani (we often only stumbled on to things by happen stance such as the hula lessons, the lovely ukulele and upright bass with the hula dancer to name a few), but the workers there were amazing and so friendly. The female bartender who took the extra step to make her glasses match her uniform shirt was absolutely incredible, engaging, and a humbled teacher of history (in regards to alcohol that we found fascinating). Her customer service is spot on. She is a keeper! (I’m only sorry I can’t remember her name)
I would love to say we had a great vacation, but I just can’t. It was lovely. Great would have been getting a call back from someone about the pool amenities and not being talked down to because we picked a hotel because of the pool. Great would have been me not being stressed trying to make last minute plans because employees don’t have updated information. And great would have been not having to have disappointed kids because, again, the concierge was lacking updated information. I know you can do better.
P.S., as an update, when we checked out, the person arranging it asked if she could get us a manager. And I believe she would have but we had to leave to catch out flight home. Someone named Sam (I think), did reach out. I called back and left a message as no one answered the phone. Still no one has called me back. This has left enough of a bad taste that despite having a great hotel, I have no desire to return or use The Westin again.

Room tip: If you can swing it, get into the new tower so you can get into the Lanai! We felt that was worth it!
Date of stay: September 2022
3  Thank Kristin V
Team Marriott, Guest Services / Front Office at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa Ka'anapali, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2022

Aloha 361kristinv,

It was our pleasure to host your family's special vacation. While we are pleased you had a lovely stay and appreciated our enhanced experience at The Lanai, we are very sorry for the miscommunication on our part regarding certain amenities and activities. We strive to deliver consistent, attentive service at every opportunity, and your experience does not meet our high standards. You have our assurance that your concerns will be addressed appropriately by our leadership team. We are truly grateful for your patience and valuable feedback. We were honored to have you and your family as our guests, and we certainly hope we have another opportunity to provide an enriching, seamless stay.