“KS is great, but beware of until 6-306”
Review of Kamaole Sands

Kamaole Sands
Ranked #13 of 62 Speciality Lodging in Kihei
Maple Ridge, Canada
“KS is great, but beware of until 6-306”
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We have stayed at Kamaole Sands two times. The grounds are pristine and the pool and BBQ areas are great. The locatino of KS is fantastic. You can walk to the beach right across the street, you can walk for dinner or to get icecream. We rented directly through Kamaole Sands, and will not be doing that again. It is basically a sutie that is site unseen and they have no standards of the amenities within each unit. When we arrived we were happy to see that we were in building 6. This is an inside unit facing the inner court yard and close to the pool which is ideal. The suit itself was not so nice. First off, it is carpetted throughout. Carpet and Maui just don't mix! Secondly, it is not well stocked. The kitchen was missing many utensils (such as BBQ utensils) and small appliances (such as a blender). We didn't have access to the lanai closet, therefore we did not have beach towels, umbrella, cooler, boogie boards etc that you would expect to have renting a unit in Maui. When we called the front desk to complain, they said there was nothing they could do about it and if the owners were "nice enough" they would leave those things for their guests, but there was no standards as to what needed to be in each suite. We were very disappointed as we paid $175/night which was extremely high for what we got. Some suites are renovated and are extreemely nice. I suggest renting throug VRBO.com so at least you know what you will be getting.

Room Tip: Inner court yard buildings are the best and the ones at the back, closer to the pool.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Nicole N
CRHHNL, Front Office Manager at Kamaole Sands, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Aloha Tripadvisor. This is in regards to the comments made about 6-306 which is a condo that is managed by Castle Resorts and Hotels and not Maui Condo. I have a question as to why Marina Sands is allowed to solicit Maui Condo and Home. Kamaole Sands is an individually owned property with multiple management companies that represent them. Marina Sands is posting comments to units that Maui Condo does not represent and to reviews that are not identifiable as to who is the managing agent is. In the headline to her comments, she gives the impression that she is located at the property. “Manager at Kamaole Sands” the company of Maui Condo and Homes office is located off property. Is there a way that her comments can removed from any review that is not managed by the company that she represents which is Maui Condo and Home.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 13 March 2012

(8-301) An older unit that has a (from one spot on the balcony) a small view of the ocean. We stayed here with friends. Our first and perhaps most lasting concern was the cockroaches. We informed the owner who gave us advice on cleaning up but to our knowledge never sent an exterminator. One of the excuses offered was that this issue is typical in this environment. However my wife and I have stayed various places in Maui and have never encountered house roaches. There were traps in every cabinet.

In addition to this the condo owner had rules posted everywhere. These things created an odd vacation environment. We have stayed in condos in the Carribean, Florida, Alibama and have never seen quite this situation.

The grounds are nicely kept. The location is close to the beach for the price.

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank Brian F
Browning, Montana, United States
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Aloha, If you want to stay in a very beautiful, organized and well maintained hotel property, I would recommend Kamaole Sands in Kihei...the condos are fantastic and have all the ammenities one needs to enjoy their stay. I would recommend to buy your grocery food for the condo as it is very expensive to dine each day on the Island. There are gas grills outside the complex where one can enjoy cooking their food to their perfection. Oh, and the pool area is very big compared to the other Kamaole condos. There is a pool and 2 hot tubs w/each different temperature for the liking. The staff are great!!!! Just across the street is the beach and areas to picnic at...one of the best beaches I found in all of Kihei. Enjoy the stay...I am coming back next year. One last thing...ask where the Triangle is at and the night life there is great...live bands (all genres one can experience) in 8 of the pubs. It is north and about 1 mile north of the condo. Mahola

Room Tip: I stayed on the bottom corner floor which are very large and the bedroom is at the beginning of the...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gary B
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 11 March 2012

I have mixed reviews about my second stay at Kamaole Sands. As always, the property is beautiful with the grounds and the pool area well maintained. The property is in an ideal location close to three of the best beaches in Kihei and conveniently located to many things to do.

The unit we stayed in was 10-112, and I wouldn't recommend it to anybody. As a previous reviewer stated - it has no DVD player (only a VCR), a 4-cup coffee maker that basically makes 2 cups of coffee plus it needed some repairs. The medicine cabinet needs to be fixed, the bed is really bad with two layers of foam on it, the couch cushions won't ever stay put and it felt dirty. In addition, I also fault the property for some of the neglect to the unit inlcuding holes in the towels, lightbulbs burnt out and not replaced - and it not being cleaned very well after our fifth day (and amenities not replaced as per their documents).

I would probably stay at Kamaole Sands again just because it's such a great place - but I would never stay in this unit.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank wgfox
Comox, Canada
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Taking In Some Sun At Kamaole Sands

I'd had it with British Columbia gloomy skies, frozen fingers in the morning, and windy, even on the occasional sunny day. Time for a break. Time to escape to sunny Kihei, the sunniest part of Maui.

The idea of condo living with all of its conveniences appealed to me. Kamaole Sands fit the bill perfectly.

It was convenient to everything. A park right across the street for strolling, tossing a frisbee, sunbathing. Steps from the park, a golden sand beach. I spent an afternoon down there allowing myself to be buffeted around in the surf. I was like a happy child. Reminded me of times at Laguna Beach south of Los Angeles back in the seventies.

OK, so I got a few lumps rolling around in the surf. Off to the resort pool for some serious girl watching. That ought to take the sting out. Oops. What's this? Kamaole Sands has a jacuzzi? You gotta be kiddin' me. A push of the button. On with those wonderful jets and into the hot water. This is living. Mai tai pool parties on Wednesdays don't hurt either.

A theme of this place could have been “We've thought of everything.” I appreciated that when I walked past the tennis courts, noticed the surf boards leaning up against the walls of the court, the fitness center, and 15 bar-be-cues around the grounds. An easy 2 minute drive from scenic Wailea with its white egrets, manicured golf courses and luxury resorts.

Free Internet in the lobby enable me to scope out information about a sailing tour I was interested in. No per minute charges involved.

Shoes off on entering the condo kept the place in pristine condition.

Families on a budget would love the fully-equipped kitchen, washer and drier, and ironing board.

An in-room safe allowed for the storing of passports and other valuables.

The 2-bedroon, 2-bath condo was spacious, airy and bright, with a nice tropical feel. Hidden in a bedroom closet, a beach chair and boogie board. Anybody who loves a firm bed would sleep comfortably here.

The occasional use of a ceiling fan added any needed breeze.

Mornings, I awoke to the pleasant sound of doves cooing in the palm trees.

On the way to breakfast up the street, I changed my mind and purchased a sweet papaya from a street vendor instead.

I spent hours on one of the private balconies(there were 2) with an Agatha Christie mystery novel. Other times I just lounged there with a smile on my face.

Evenings, families with kids relaxed or picnicked on the lawn. Others dined on patios or read the newspaper, or just cooled it with their feet up.

Late at night, I chilled in the living room, listening to FM jazz on the boom box. Jazz saxophonist Joe Henderson grooved to “Lazy Afternoon.” I could relate.

I notice that people smile more when the sun shines. They're happier than usual. Sense of humor improves. I asked one lady why she was limping. She hesitated a moment, then with a smile replied, “I kicked my husband.” We both burst out laughing.

Years ago, I stayed at a fancy condo on Kauai. I have to admit that Kamaole Sands beat that condo experience hands down.

This is condo living at its best.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank billyp
MauiCondoMarina, Manager at Kamaole Sands, responded to this review, 24 March 2012
ALOHA!!! Wow, thank you for that very detailed and uplifting review. You must be a writer because this review had me enthralled. It is so refreshing to read about someone being so happy and content on their vacation. Sounds like you really were loving life and we are happy that this was made possible by staying at Kamaole Sands. It truely is a wonderful and friendly property. It is perfect for families or singles such as yourself. On your next visit to Maui visit our website to make unit specific bookings. Mahalo, Managment at Maui Condo and Home, LLC.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kihei
1.3 km away
4.2 km away
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
0.3 km away
Aston at the Maui Banyan

Been to Kamaole Sands? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK