1,018 results
All reviewscastle resortsacross the streetstayed in buildingbuilding roompool areabeach chairsmai tai partythrough vrboboogie boardspartial ocean viewgarden viewkam iii beachgrounds are beautifulair conditioningwasher and dryerspecific unitbath condo
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Others have said it, and I'll repeat - your condo could be wonderful or horrendous, depending on the building, floor, or unit that you're in.

We've had great experiences renting directly through owners (VRBO). The condo's themselves have been fairly basic (although well-supplied with kitchen items, towels, beach stuff). The property is very large, and there are busy roads on 3 sides; however, by 10 pm there's little if any traffic at all.
Tips - ask for (RECENT!) photos. Refer to the property map - several available through google - to get a sense of which building your condo will be in, and where the streets are. Elevators are 'slow' .. be prepared to be irritated by them. If you prefer to not have dozens/hundreds of kids around, you should look elsewhere (esp during March). On the other hand, if you are looking for a kid-friendly property, you'll love it here. Best advice? Enjoy your vacation in beautiful Maui, and try not to stress about your accommodations!

Room Tip: Personal preference = ground floor, Building 8 or 9.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank WhitehorseTraveller
Reviewed 13 January 2012

If you want to take your chances, and you don't mind little privacy and loads of kids, you can try this, but I was in tears the first 18 hours. I made my reservation directly with the management, the only reason we're still even here. We arrived after dark last night. I had been told by a VRBO owner who does have great reviews for her unit here (but it wasn't available for us) that units were assigned 3 days before check in. At her suggestion, I had also requested an updated unit, in a quiet spot. I did check 3 days before and was told we would be in a nice unit in bldg. 7, so I was suspicious when we checked in after dark and were told we would be in building 9 - 310. The unit was lifeless and stuffy and as I walked across the sparsely furnished condo, across the carpet to open the sliding doors to the lanai, my feet got wet and cold. OUT OF THAT ONE in a real hurry. The desk guy was totally frazzled but finally gave us keys to another, 4-209 and by then, very late and tired of moving our stuff, we stayed although the place seemed unwelcoming and the night turned terrible. We were stuck between a busy road and a noisy elevator and an infant crying below us every 4 hours. The box fan in the closet had a blade missing so ran like a broken helicopter, couldn't use that, and the desk guy said there was no one around to bring us another. The ceiling fan, rattled and squeaked all night. The condo was old and tired, more apparent in the morning after no sleep and then.... I burned my fingers to blisters on a cup of water I tried to microwave for coffee, opened the freezer for ice - absolutely none of course! Near tears, a call to the management and the manager met us within an hour, toured us through 4 other condos and we settled on a refund for the lousy night and moving to the inner circle Building 5-308, a clean, completely redone - no carpet, just shiny clean tile floor everywhere, new kitchen & bath, tiny lanai barely for 2 opening to the pool, a bit of space between our bedroom and the walkway, but we can leave the doors & windows open. I'll take the noise of kids playing over road noise anytime and hopefully no crying babies tonight. I won't ever return here, or be brave enough to recommend it to anyone, but if you are very diligent & careful, I'm sure you can get a unit to be happy in for a FAMILY style vacation. DON'T try this if you are looking for quality or elegance or romance or privacy or most anything else. Your vacation could be ruined. This place was built in '84, so beware.

Room Tip: I thought I had been careful and we still almost got screwed. No advice on how to make sure this works for you.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank jrsDenverColorado
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We stayed at Kam Sands in Dec/Jan 2012. This was our second time, and we'll probably stay there again next year, so that says it all. The condo was nicely renovated, and bathed in sunlight. Could see most of the sunset from our suite. Last year we went through vrbo, which worked well, this year booked a little late so had to book through the office, and didn't know what to expect (no pictures of suite). We were very pleasantly surprised! Very smooth booking and friendly helpful service.

Room Tip: Probably any suite would have its good points, but an inner courtyard suite is closer to the pool. Although, I've seen pictures of very nicely renovated suites that are in buildings 4, 8, 9. which are in the outer buildings. If I had to choose between a really nice reno and inner courtyard, I'd take the nice reno.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Turtle604
Reviewed 10 January 2012

We stayed at Kamaole Sands in July 2011 and LOVED it! We stayed in 7-109 which is a ground floor condo. It was perfect for our family - we have two small children. The bed was comfy, the condo was super clean and newly renovated. The condo was very close to a BBQ area and a hop, skip and a jump away from the pool, which the kids LOVED! The condo was equipped with boogie boards, beach toys, umbrellas, chairs, coolers, and even snorkel gear! The complex is right across from Kamaole III beach, which we found to be the best beach we visited during our stay.

Our only advice is attend the free breakfast to get an idea of what to do while on the island, but do your own research before booking these activities. They are through Expedia, but it is not the same thing as Expedia.ca, so take care before booking.

We had great service, including a late checkout, and LOVED our stay. We will definitely be going back!

Room Tip: Request a ground floor unit, newly renovated, with A/C. Building 7 was central to everything - close to the BBQ and pool.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank tspencer9
Reviewed 5 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at Kam Sands for 10 days on our honeymoon. We loved it! The place was beautiful, so close to the beach and restaurants and a great value. It was lively but never loud or crowded. Best deal on the island!

• Stayed: August 2011