8 people are viewing this hotel
$330
Hotels.com$348
Ascend$364
Trip.com$385
All reviews the penthouse across the street hot tub room was nice and clean maintenance man provide beach chairs awesome hotel small pool staff was very friendly and helpful tile floors resort fee easy access to the beach nice beach north side per day restaurants and shops central location
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 March 2022 via mobile

I was hoping to love this place after I read the reviews. Maybe it just depends on what room you stay in, but I’m paying $415 for a room with locked windows and cinder block walls. (Yes the windows are locked close) I wanted to change hotels when I checked in, but it was too late. If my expectations were set at a $150 a night motel, I’d have been fine with it. But this is the least nice place I’ve ever stayed for $400 in my life.
This is not a resort and should not be charging $25 a night for a resort fee. It’s a motel that should be advertised as such. I know I’m not the first person upset that I’m paying $25 a day for a beach towel and some ice water and a plastic cup in the lobby.
I’m sure the staff is very friendly as other reviews have said but I haven’t had much experience with anyone.

Trip type: Travelled solo
Kohea Kai Resort Maui, General Manager at Kohea Kai Maui, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2022

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us. I apologize for failing to meet your expectations and hope that you will give us a chance in the future as we work to improve our services. The amenity fee helps us provide more than just a towel and ice water. The amenity fees provides the in room amenities as well as parking, wifi, beach chairs, beach towels, coolers, bicycle rentals, to go snacks in the morning and afternoon plus more. Thank you again for sharing, we really appreciate your time.

Reviewed 25 March 2022

The resort is a gem with a friendly staff. During our stay, Carol, Tevita, and Luseane were very courteous and helpful. For example, they gave us pointers on major sites to see in Maui. They provided us ample, quality snacks in the lobby.
It's a relaxing resort with a nice hot tub and small pool. Our room was nice and clean.
Thank you for a superb stay.

1  Thank JackH80

Thank you so very much for your awesome review and high scoring! We really appreciate your time and feed back. It is always a great feeling to read reviews acknowledging the hard work that my staff and myself put into this hotel. Thank you very much for your stay and on behalf of Tevita, Carol and the rest of the Kohea Kai Ohana we appreciate your stay and hope that you stay with us again.

Reviewed 20 March 2022

My wife and I stayed at Kohea Kai Maui in late February. The property was adequate, but we did not think it matched up to the rather lavish descriptions posted on its website. We do not consider the property a "resort". It is a normal hotel. Our standard room was clean, but very small. The grounds were well-maintained. The staff was friendly and courteous. We appreciated the use of beach chairs, towels and a cooler. The website says they have "upscale amenities"; we thought that was exaggerated.

The website states they have :"24-hour front desk staff" but at check-in we were given a front-desk number to text between 6 am and 10 pm. Parking for the building we were in was VERY TIGHT quarters that are drive-in and back-out only, The "beachfront location" property description is a bit of a push, considering the beach is across South Kihea Road, a rather busy street. The "breakfast" offered was granola bars and coffee; no juices, tea or any other beverages.

We prepaid for the reservation and were surprised when we checked in to be told that there was an additional $25 per day "resort fee". Perhaps this was disclosed on the website and we missed it, but to any travelers considering this property, beware of this charge.

Date of stay: February 2022
1  Thank MaxS_13
Kohea Kai Resort Maui, General Manager at Kohea Kai Maui, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2022

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us. We really appreciate your feed back because these are ways that our hotel can improve on our services. Due to the pandemic and the labor shortage that seems to be all around it has been a great challenge for my staff and myself. We may not be here physically for 24 hours, but we are available 24 hours. Thank you again for sharing, Thank you for your time and your feed back is very important to us. We hope you enjoyed Maui and hope to see you in the future.
Luseane Moa

Reviewed 15 March 2022 via mobile

This place was the worst. The ceiling is so thin - if you’re on the ground floor you hear every single step the people above you make. The entire hotel is generally shabby and just the opposite of a place to relax and unwind. There is no sound proofing what so ever and it made for countless sleepless nights due to noisy neighbors. There is no overnight reception (staff in general is non existent) so if you have any issues after 8pm you’re left with just a number to text. There is otherwise no staff on site overnight. Good luck getting any positive response to your texts. Would not stay here again.

Room tip: If you’re forced to stay here - if this is literally the last hotel with space on Maui - then request a rooom not on the ground floor.
Date of stay: March 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Kohea Kai Resort Maui, General Manager at Kohea Kai Maui, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2022

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. We had made attempts to reach out to you, our office was open during the hours we have posted and the after hours number responds rather quickly. We could have assisted you with looking into other options to move to, but was unsuccessful both times and I am sure you were out enjoying Maui. However, we are always here ready to assist. We appreciate your feed back for these are ways that will help us to improve our services. We hope you enjoyed your time on Maui.

Reviewed 6 March 2022

Stayed 1/26-27 for 1 night. Wish we could have cancelled and found a different hotel, but was non-refundable and pretty late when we arrived. So embarrassed to admit we paid over $400 so stay at this hovel. We don't mind older hotels if the interiors are clean and well maintained. This place has cinder block walls, dirty broken tile floors, rusty peeling plumbing......the photos say it all.....

Date of stay: January 2022
Kohea Kai Resort Maui, General Manager at Kohea Kai Maui, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2022

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us. We really appreciate your feedback for these are ways that we can improve on our services. We hope that you enjoyed MAUI and ALOHA to you!