“Tired guide & tired equipment!”
Review of Mountain Riders

Maui Haleakala Day Bike Tour
Monterey, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Tired guide & tired equipment!”
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I really looked forward to riding down the volcano, but was super disappointed with the guide that rode down with us and the condition of the equipment! The driver of the van was great, funny, and knowledgable. However, the guide that actually rode down with us was boring & grumpy, bitter & sooo slow! The rain/wind suits were huge and in poor condition. The bikes were quite old & in bad shape. The group rode down at a ridiculously slow pace ( set by the guide) which required squeezing both brakes with all my strength for most of the ride. The brakes would not have been able to actually STOP my bike within any reasonable distance in an emergency (and I only weigh 115). For both safety & fun, I would recommend choosing another company to ride down the volcano!!!

1 Thank Gingered3
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Korean first
Monroeville, Indiana
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Beautiful sunrise!”
Reviewed 17 July 2012

My husband, 2 teenagers, and I took the sunrise tour. The van picked us up promptly at 2:00 AM and took us to their bike garage for a safety video and some pre-packaged danish/juice. Then, we traveled to the summit. The sunrise was gorgeous, but I was not really prepared for the cold. Be sure to take extra blankets, etc. Then, back to the van and down the mountain a little way to get our bikes. The bikes were in pretty bad shape and two people had to switch theirs out on the way down. It was a nice ride down the mountain, but the idea of stopping for sightseeing/pictures really didn't happen. We did stop once, where our guide snapped pictures of each couple on their bike, but that was the only time. And you are really going too fast to enjoy the view while moving. Also, there was no mention of the advertised breakfast stop. It was a good trip, and my kids really enjoyed it, but it just felt way too rushed. Also, I agree with a previous reviewer that asking for a 20% tip both verbally and in writing is off-putting.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank Grandy6552
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great experience.”
Reviewed 8 July 2012

My family and I were unsure whether the sunrise tour would be worth being picked up at 2:30 a.m, but we were not disappointed. Pickup at our hotel was right on schedule. Owen, our driver and "Pops", our guide, were friendly and informative. On the way up the volcano, Pops shared stories and trivia to keep us entertained. As we expected, when we got out of the van at the summit, it was cold and windy, but we were soon rewarded with a fantastic view of the sunrise. After sunrise, we descended the mountain to the point where we left our bikes on the way up, donned our equipment, and began our cruise to the sea. On the way down, we took a couple of breaks for pictures and to peel off layers of clothing as the temperature warmed. Along the way, Pops shared stories while Owen folowed behind in the van, shielding us from traffic. This was a great experience for our entire family and I would highly recommend it. Mother Nature needs to cooperate for the ultimate sunrise view, but she delivered for us! Pops clearly enjoys his job and went the extra mile to personalize the experience for us!

2 Thank Roger W
Berryville, Virginia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Fantastic Tour”
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We had six people on our tour. Two of them rode in the van and four of us biked. The driver and the tour leader were fantastic. They did some extras like pick us up from the hotel even though they weren't supposed to but they were in the area. They were knowledgeable and gave us some great hints about our next days drive. I would highly recommend this tour to everyone.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank coachLC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Phenomenal experience!”
Reviewed 30 June 2012

We absolutely loved our time with Mountain Riders. Rob, Julio and Lucas gave us an amazing tour at the summit and then guided us safely down the 10,000 ft journey. We loved every minute and it was truly the highlight of our trip. A definite must do when in Maui!

1 Thank katiemayle