New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Poor to average - but with a smile and very accommodating” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hana Maui Botanical Gardens

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hana
Hana Maui Botanical Gardens
Ranked #9 of 9 Hana B&B and Inns
Sherbrooke, Quebec
“Poor to average - but with a smile and very accommodating”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

Really not fancy. Really not. A bit run down also. But Jo Loyce, the manager, accepts one-nighters, which is a great advantage in a place (Hana) with so few lodging options. Jo Loyce is a courageous woman, who runs this B&B despite a physical handicap; and with a smile on top of that!
I'd upgrade the place to average if some minimal repairs were done. For example, our toilet broke (we had to pour water to get it running). For us no big deal; some people might have felt totally uneasy about it. The over was broken (signs indicated so; we had no intention to cook there). We also found a cockroach. Again, no big deal for us; might be for some people.

The price of the Marine studio is a bit high for the quality (reflected in our evaluation of value), although reasonable compared to hotels and B&B in the area.

In the end, if you want to stay in Hana for just one night, you are not a fancy person, this place is an option.

Room Tip: If you don't need a fridge, does not neet to cook, chose the Flower Studio.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank lelecabral
Rainbow44, Owner at Hana Maui Botanical Gardens, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Aloha, thank you for your review. One night stays are very difficult, that's why most places won't do them. I know when you are on vacation, time is limited, so I decided to let people stay with a small increase in price of $25 to makeup for the extra work. It also means that it gets cleaned each time and running the generator to wash linens. Two times if all beds are used and gas in Hana is $5.65 a gal. right now. I do try to check on my cleaner. He does a good job. We use vinegar because it cleans very good, not poisonous and the bugs hate it.
I do enjoy having people come to stay and always like to visit with them, if they are interested in local history. I think if people go to my real web site, they understand the situation and if they would be happy staying here. Most are, but they don't leave reviews unless I ask them to do so for me. Because one unhappy review is very difficult to counteract. If you read the guest book, most are comfortable experiencing how we really live...............not in a hotel room. And thank you for being so understanding when the toilet broke. I did get it fixed the next day when my handiman came. He is 85 and works full time at Hasegawa's has a great sense of humor and had 18 children with the same wife. 3 sets of twins. That might be a record.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012 via mobile

Read all the reviews and know that it is exactly what people say it is. We were prepared for that going in, and really just needed to save money. We ended up staying there as little as possible, waking up early and heading out, and hanging out in Hana until we were ready to fall asleep.
Pros:
Cheapest accommodations in Hana
Jungle atmosphere (but so is most of Hana)

Some cons to consider:
Yes, there are bugs. Including a dead cockroach in the shower that should have been cleaned up before we checked in. I know the owner has trouble getting around, but she is still running a business.
Overall not kept up. I know it's the jungle, but you can still sweep the floors. Especially if you are asking people to take their shoes off.
No breakfast. We stayed in the Flower Room, which had a discount of $75 a night (which is why we couldn't pass this place up). In her email, she said the room was discounted bc it had no fridge and a broken lock. When we arrived and asked, she said she would not be providing pastries because of the discount. We were free to pick fruit from the botanical garden, but all that was available were underripe star apples and dried up rambutan that we're not edible. Needless to say, we didn't get our breakfast from this "B & B"
Tin roof. It rains a lot in Hana, and it can be hard to sleep with the rain roaring on the tin roof.we affectionately dubbed the room our little tin can.

Overall, it was a good choice for us because we saved at least $175, but that doesn't mean it was enjoyable. Choose wisely.

Stayed April 2012
4 Thank Elicia B
Aloha, I am sorry that you were not happy being here. I do my best to explain that it is not fancy but comfortable. It is a farm stay. I will print out your review and give it to my cleaner. He does sweep and mop the floor with vinegar and wipes the counters with it. It is not poison and bugs don't like it. Going through trip advisor doesn't give much information as my regular web site does. http://ecoclub.com/hanamaui When people know that it is a semi tropical farm stay, they usually are happy. I personally can't do it all any more, but still enjoy having people come and see how the people who actually live here, do really live. It is not a hotel room and most people do like being in a local setting. Fruits are seasonal, so sorry you missed out on that.
Salt Spring Island, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

I would simply say read the favorable reviews and the unfavorable and know that both are true. I gave it an average because it might appeal to people with an adventure spirit. But surely even with that in mind it could do better. First off it is in no way a B and B. With the little food provided and the low quality it is merely a cottage rental. Secondly if being off the grid means eco-tourism then it is but really a cottage in a garden is not eco-tourism. Lastly--OF COURSE there is no swimming pool. Perhaps someone hacked into her site as she would never be so dishonest as to put a picture of a swimming pool on Trip Advisor.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank dpaine53
Rainbow44, Owner at Hana Maui Botanical Gardens, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Aloha,I am sorry you were not happy. I do my best to be clear on what is available for guests. I have been trying to change that swimming pool picture. I did not put it on there. I had a picture of the garden and now to manage your account, Trip Advisor requires your credit card information to address any mistakes or to respond to reviews (every time). Your definition of EcoTourism may be different from mine. I belong to Ecoclub.com and I have been a volunteer in conservation for over 30 years and serve as Chair for Hana and VP for the Island and on the State board. This is the semi tropics so we do deal with everyday critters. I clean with vinegar (bugs don't like it) and only use the bad stuff in the garden on cane grass and African tulips which could take over everything. The jungle is relentless so it is a lot of work keeping areas open. I am not a resort, it is a farm stay and not fancy but comfortable. I depend on workers to clean and if given the chance to say hello, I always say that if you need anything, let me know. As far as the B&B situation, there is a full gas appliance kitchen and I explain that coffee, tea, box juice and Costco muffins are left for you and people are welcome to pick fruit in season in the gardens. I am really pleased if people can relax and enjoy the quiet and being in a real place in Hawaii. I have lived on this property for 35 years now and I think I am very fortunate. A hotel room is usually a hotel room anywhere.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

The setting here - acres and acres of lush, wonderful botanical specimens, is worth a visit in itself. Get up in the morning and stroll along the grass paths through all sorts of exotic plants and trees. There are lots of fruits - if it's ripe, you can eat it! There are two cottages, attached to each other by a party wall. Ours was meticulously clean, the bed linens were fresh, and there were plenty of supplies. There are some lovely knicknacks, a few games to play and books to read, if you want to spend some 'down' time inside. A very comfortable, refreshing night in a tropical garden. Be aware that this really not a B&B - there is no real breakfast to be had (we were not expecting one, so were not disappointed; but the name "B&B" may confuse some people). Bring your food or buy it in Hana - the cottage has a refrigerator and a stove (oven not working when we visited). While there, be sure to visit the amazing lava tube just up the road (you pass it on the way to the cottage). Yes, we found a spider - but in a setting such as this that's no biggie. If you want a sterile, sanitized environment, then do stay in one of the big resorts. We prefer getting a taste of the island in all its beauty, and this place did that for us.

Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FlamingoJohn
Honolulu, Hawaii
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

I have traveled the world and have NEVER stayed in a more dirtier hotel. If you like bugs...stay here. If you like dirt....stay here. If you like spider webs on your lamp shades stay here. If you like cold showers.....stay here. I went to take a shower to find a centipede in crawling around the floor! I was so creeped out that I had to take drugs to sleep through the night!!! Don't let the lure of a 'Botanical Gardens" suck in you. Beware...stay somewhere else!
PS...when driving around we saw the Hana Kai property right on the ocean...reasonable prices....next time I will stay there.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Disappointed223
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hana
6.5 km away
32.2 km away
Peace Of Maui
Peace Of Maui
#1 of 2 in Makawao

Been to Hana Maui Botanical Gardens? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK