“The innkeeper was absent.”

Haiku Plantation Inn: Maui Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 8 Haiku B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
“The innkeeper was absent.”
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I'm all for Aloha spirit; you can't get much more laid back than a midwesterner who loves to camp. When it comes to historic inns and bed and breakfasts, however, I do have a certain standard and expectation.

We traveled with friends who graciously agreed to something a little bit different regarding their typical atmosphere and taste. I'm afraid they won't stay in another bed and breakfast again.

The property has a gardener whom I assume is also a handy man. The front screen was in disrepair and the molding was missing from the bathroom. Our friends found bugs and a dead gecko in their room. Yes, I understand this is on the edge of a rainforest.

The stand in while Sandy was away woke up late, clattered about and offered no direction. The first morning we counted 12 guests. There were eight place settings. One couple decided to eat off the premises their entire stay. Two tables are available...however the main table is supplied with coffee, fruit and store bought pastries. While we were there the Hawaii department of something or other stopped by. The most humorous suggestion the stand-in offered was for us to check out the nude beach where the hippies drop acid and dance naked. She was mindless to some of our more conservative backgrounds.

I understand the stand-in is young, a friend of the family, and probably went out of her way to help Sandy. It would be helpful if there was more communication between Sandy, the interim worker and the guests. I say this because while the owners are laid back, it's important for a business owner to understand her clientele. We were mostly educated, upper middle class folks who are relaxed when there is a sense of organization that seems to be effortless.

Perhaps then, we could overlook some of the other imperfections. By the way, the water container in the fridge needs to be washed out and the guests should not be able to go through the fridge that is meant for communal breakfast.

• Stayed February 2012
4 Thank pinkjeaniebean
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Santa Fe Springs, California
Reviewed 29 February 2012

I have stayed with Sandy previously while attending a workshop at the Studio Maui. It was such an incredible experience; both my stay at the Inn with its wonderful Hawaiian feel and being in Haiku, with a total local flare. I felt such since of Aloha here, that I decided on my next return to Maui it would be the perfect location to bring my fiance for a first visit. Ahhh it was just wonderful yet again. Our room was the Haiku suite and we slept so well we nearly missed breakfast each day. The comfy sheets, perfect bed and lovely air flow made it hard to get up! Breakfast was always a treat and a bit different daily with fresh fruits, yogurt parfaits, locally made sweet treats and we even had a healthy version of a fruit smoothie one morning. My fiance was more than pleased with my suggestion of this Inn, especially after we sat in the hot tub under the stars while drinking a mai tai. I can't say thank you enough again to Sandy for her hospitality, advice, and spirit of Aloha. We look forward to returning again soon on our honeymoon!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank H20polochick
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Once again we were drawn back to Maui to see the whales in February. And the Haiku Plantation Inn is our first (only) choice for a place to stay. This year Sandy was back with her big smile and welcoming ways. She is so helpful and will try to steer us in the direction that we want to go. She is very good at understanding what we want to experience while on Maui.
As always, our room (the Aloha room) was very comfortable and the fresh fruit breakfasts were great. Sandy even provided us with small nibbles for our mornings when we were gone before the official breakfast time. This is our home away from home (if we had a Hawaiian home) and Sandy feels like family.
The weather did not cooperate this year as much as we’d like, but an afternoon relaxing in the hot tub and an evening in the common area with a glass of wine and nice conversation with the other guests made everything look much better.
And as my husband said, “We’re on Maui….!” We plan to be back every year.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
MauiTravels, Owner at Haiku Plantation Inn: Maui Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Mahalo, and as always it is truly a pleasure to see our returning guests. They truly are family to us. I just want to take a moment to thank everyone for being so wonderful to myself and my son and helping us to keep John's love of this fabulous property alive and well.

We love the property and are constantly making new improvements; including our beautiful Love Labyrinth. Our passion is to remain true to our form, that of traditional Aloha and the romance of "vintage" Hawaii. We are so moved and are so humbled by the care and thoughtfulness we have been so blessed to receive this past year from our old friends and those we have just met here as new guests.

Take care everyone and see you on Maui! A wonderful, magical and spectacularly beautiful isle: steeped in history, culture and the kindness of the Aloha Spirit.

A Hui Hou
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Three friends of mine and I recently stayed at the Haiku Plantation Inn for a dance retreat and extended vacation on Maui.We couldn't have chosen a more welcoming and lovely 'home' for our Maui adventures. One of my friends had stayed there on three other occasions and won't consider any other options when he visits the island. Sandy provides such a lovely experience as well as valuable information about Maui life! The room was very comfortable, with all amenities and the quietude was perfect for my 'light-sleeper' self. The prepared breakfasts are delicious and chocked full of fresh island fruits and juices. The perfect 'cap' was the jacuzzi under the stars after our long days at the dance retreat. You're sure to enjoy and I will be back!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Time stopped for awhile. It was a short few days I would be on Maui; the first night was there at Haiku Plantation; the last night as well. Book ends to a unique trip, the uniqueness of Sandy's place seemed so fitting to it all. I loved the fresh fruit for breakfast, the grapefruit picked from the tree in the yard outside. The eclectic charm of the old building and the many unique island antiques and little wall treasures made me feel at home. A long ways from home, it didn't matter, I was home. Thanks Sandy, for coming out with your flashlight to make sure the taxi driver got me there, after all, after dark; thanks for helping me get a place in Pa'ia for the days you were booked up; thanks for the photo of the heart labyrinth just received. If you find the Haiku Plantation Inn, on your trip to Maui, consider yourself one of the fortunate ones.

Room Tip: Ask Sandy for the room options ... since your needs will be unique ... :-)