I'm all for Aloha spirit; you can't get much more laid back than a midwesterner who loves to camp. When it comes to historic inns and bed and breakfasts, however, I do have a certain standard and expectation.
We traveled with friends who graciously agreed to something a little bit different regarding their typical atmosphere and taste. I'm afraid they won't stay in another bed and breakfast again.
The property has a gardener whom I assume is also a handy man. The front screen was in disrepair and the molding was missing from the bathroom. Our friends found bugs and a dead gecko in their room. Yes, I understand this is on the edge of a rainforest.
The stand in while Sandy was away woke up late, clattered about and offered no direction. The first morning we counted 12 guests. There were eight place settings. One couple decided to eat off the premises their entire stay. Two tables are available...however the main table is supplied with coffee, fruit and store bought pastries. While we were there the Hawaii department of something or other stopped by. The most humorous suggestion the stand-in offered was for us to check out the nude beach where the hippies drop acid and dance naked. She was mindless to some of our more conservative backgrounds.
I understand the stand-in is young, a friend of the family, and probably went out of her way to help Sandy. It would be helpful if there was more communication between Sandy, the interim worker and the guests. I say this because while the owners are laid back, it's important for a business owner to understand her clientele. We were mostly educated, upper middle class folks who are relaxed when there is a sense of organization that seems to be effortless.
Perhaps then, we could overlook some of the other imperfections. By the way, the water container in the fridge needs to be washed out and the guests should not be able to go through the fridge that is meant for communal breakfast.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Maui's original bed and breakfast inn, located in the beautiful North Shore and Upcountry. Historic 1870's home, lovely guest rooms with baths, 2 tropical acres, near beaches, rain forests, crater summit, and all activities. Affordable accommodations, highly rated within guide books and travel magazines. Maui's truly Hawaiian destination sharing the Aloha of Maui. Each guest room is decorated in vintage Hawaiiana style complete with white fluffy towels and complimentary bath products. Continental breakfast included,wifi,free parking. Use of beach equipment: chairs, towels, boogie boards, ice chests, umbrellas. Permit #BBPH2009/07 ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia and Booking.com so you can book your Haiku Plantation Inn: Maui Bed and Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Haiku Plantation Inn: Maui b&b
- Haiku Plantation Inn: Maui Hotel Haiku
- Haiku Plantation Inn: Maui Bed And Breakfast