All reviews old hawaii bedroom cottage black sand beach plantation cottages salt pond west side banyan trees authentic hawaiian experience laid back kokee state park ishihara market nearby river full kitchen rocking chairs three bedroom shrimp station beautiful grounds
Reviewed 28 April 2010

Even though we stayed there 11 months ago, my stomach still turns at the thought. We got to our cottage which was old and dirty. The main bedroom and its bathrom were run down and the floors were full of hair. I was afraid to take a shower because it was so creepy. The kitchen hood and stove were grimy, and I was afraid to touch anything. I didn't ask to be switched to another cottage because my family just wanted to settle in after a very long day of travel. I don't know if the others are better. After the fact, I wish we had lost our money and gone and stayed on another shore. Also, we love the beach and swimming. The plantation is located at the mouth of the Waimea River. In other words, the ocean has brown water, and the beach is littered with driftwood and other debris. You couldn't swim if you wanted to. I think it was also dangerous. It wasn't the Hawaii I came to see. After we got home, I contacted Aston to give them my feedback, but no one was interested enough to call me back.
We did like the pool which we swam in at night and laid around and looked at the stars.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank Travelnut57
Reviewed 26 April 2010

This past April, my husband, myself and my father stayed at Waimea Plantation Cottages for two weeks. We had an oceanfront, 2 bedroom, cottage and loved it. The kitchen was equipped with everything we needed and the bedrooms each had their own bathroom with the largest, most wonderful rainfall showers. The employees at the property were the most gracious, friendly, helpful and kind-hearted people you will ever meet. Everything you need is close by, although you do need a car to get around the island. We are already planning our trip for next year to the "Cottages" and can't wait.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Alison187
Reviewed 8 April 2010

My partner and I were in Hawaii for three weeks, and this was our favorite lodging. We reserved a one bedroom garden view and were upgraded to a two bedroom--don't know if our cottage was considered ocean view, but there was a view of the ocean. The cottage was great--clean and comfortable. Romantic too. There was a resident cat who was not neutered (hotel needs to spay/neuter their resident felines)--he was friendly but never got in our way. He stayed on the porch--enjoyed having an animal around since we missed our pets back home. No swimming at the beach--but we had it to ourselves each day. Relaxed in a hammock together. It was never noisy--just calm and relaxing. I wish we were there now. It was one of the more expensive places we stayed, but it was worth it. Check out the gift shop--reasonably priced gifts that are made on the island.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2010

Wonderful cottages, a bit out of the way of activities but quieter than the East and North side of the island. Had a great stay, wonderful walking on the beach. Can't swim there though. Just down the road there is a swimming beach. Will definitely take the family back!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2010

Awesome hotel in the town of Kauai. Right on the beach and just outside of the town of Waimea. The rooms are former plantation cottages that have been modernized for hotel stay. The bar is the best and it is right of the main highway and on the beach. We had the parents of our baseball team there and they could take care all of us. The cottage we had reminded me of staying at my grandmother's house so it brought back some great memories. Don't expect air-conditioning because they try to keep the "plantation feel" about the hotel. They do have a few cottages that have been modernized all the way with air-conditioning.

• Stayed: February 2010