All reviewsold hawaiibedroom cottageblack sand beachplantation cottagessalt pondwest sidebanyan treesauthentic hawaiian experiencelaid backkokee state parkishihara marketnearby riverfull kitchenrocking chairsthree bedroomshrimp stationbeautiful grounds
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We went for a wedding but we would love to go back. It is a very unusual resort, very rustic without a lot of amenities but so relaxing. The cottages are the original homes for the sugar cane plantation and they have kept them up as they were. Cottages scattered about on a huge meadow leading down to the beach.

Room Tip: lovely rooms, these were homes so very spacious compared to most hotels
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 September 2011

I stayed here for two night to give myself a treat and go hike at the canyon. The area ist covered with cottages of different sizes, all of them a bit dated which gives them their charm, do not expect glitzy bathrooms but rather plantation-wooden cottage charms of the 1950s/1960s.
Service is good, they give you free dvds, the living room of my cottage was very nice, small pool (if empty, you can do laps) and kids pool on the property which borders DIRECTLY with the ocean :) sadly, swimming is not recommended because of the currents. Overall, I really loved it, loved the old charm of the cottages, loved that the towels were heavier than my carpets at home...
The cottages with ocean view are pricier than the ones that look out onto the inner courtyards, "garden view". For the price of almost $200 per night for the 2 people cottage that I rented alone I would have loved to receive a smile from the receptionist, though, eventhough I know that for 2 people, 100 $ per night and Person in such a place is a good hotel deal. BUT: The brewery is closed. The hotel restaurant is open and very good but is not the micro brewery anymore. And for the roosters: I didnt hear any, but they are everywhere on Kauai, it's also called rooster land. Bring a pair of ear plugs and everything will be fine.

Room Tip: Inquire whether your cottage has ocean or garden view.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Annana2011
Reviewed 30 August 2011

this is exactly how i pictured Hawaii! The cottages are so quaint and arranged so that you have privacy no matter where you stay. We selected a one bedroom on the ocean and what a view! Luckily it was also a full moon so you can imagine how romantic with the waves and moonlight to fall asleep! Swining in one of the hammocks at midnight...heaven. We ate dinner here one night and it was very good. We love to learn of their culture so really enjoyed spending time at the family museum. It tells the story of the sugar plantations that were in the area. Poipou beach is not far away. This our last island of four. We rented snorkel gear on island #1 oahu and carried it with us. Poipou is beautiflu to snorkel and there is a very nice resuaurant there. Also changing rooms so you can spend morning, noon and nighttime there (which is what we did). In the town of Waimea is a breakfast spot called obsessions where the bread is homamade every day! Fabulous! The Wrangler Steakhouse was an unexpected bonus. The food was delicious. the on site spa was lovely too!
The people definetly had the Aloha Spirit everywhere we visited on this island. We were very glad it was our last island because it will leave a lasting memory of our time on these beautiful Hawaiian Islands.

Mahalo and aloha

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Jane G
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Having visited Kauai before, this was our first time staying on the West side of the island at the plantation. We stayed for ten days in the Jean Faye cottage and found the cottage and the grounds to be very comfortable and peaceful. The property is large enough you can go to the beach or pool, jogging, and never feel like you are in a crowded resort like many other hotels and resorts feel. We were able to have a beach side campfire in the evenings, drinks at the on site brewery, and what seemed like endless beautiful days one after another. Our extended family visits WPC several times a year, and we hope to return later this year. If you want to stay in Kauai and enjoy some privacy, peace, and quiet away from the typical resort experience then this is the place for you!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank 2fromhere
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I've stayed here a couple of times, and I can't wait to go back again. I grew up on O'ahu in the 1950s, and these cottages remind me of those lovely easy days. The cottages are absolutely charming, with comfy beds, island style living rooms and dining areas, and they come with fully equipped kitchens. The grounds are lovely with beautiful monkey pod, banyan and plumeria trees, and lawns you can walk around in the day or evening. You can also sit out on your own lanai and listen to the birds and feel the breezes.

I love sitting in the ocean side pool and gazing over the water towards the island of Ni'ihau--an especially beautiful sight at evening.

An added bonus is being on the "other" side of the island away from the tourist bustle of the north east. I love he lush beauty of Hanalei but I can do without the haoles that make the place feel like Santa Cruz . I met a lot of grumpy people over that way, and the sweeties I met Waimea way call it "the forbidden side of the island."Not very many locals over that way. So if you want the real Hawai'i--check out the Waimea Plantation Cottages.
You'll also be close to Waimea Canyon and great hiking above Kalalau Valley. You'll be close to Hanapepe for their great Friday night artists' night, and you're near some great beaches too.

Room Tip: IIf the place isn't full, and you don't like your cottage, ask for a switch!
  • Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends