All reviewsold hawaiibedroom cottageblack sand beachplantation cottagessalt pondwest sidebanyan treesauthentic hawaiian experiencelaid backkokee state parkishihara marketnearby riverfull kitchenrocking chairsthree bedroomshrimp stationbeautiful grounds
Reviewed 14 February 2011

We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary here and it was wonderful. The grounds are picturesqe and everyone at the front desk was very friendly and helpful with all of our questions on where to eat, what to see, etc. We arrived late in the evening and there were sandwich makings in the fridge waiting for the hungry, weary travelers. No neighbor or hallway noise with the individual cottages. Only awakened by the roosters the first night but then slept well. Not a swimming beach but there are plenty nearby. If you have to go to Poipu, Lihue, or the North Shore, it's a bit of a drive.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Terry58740
Reviewed 27 January 2011

I wanted to love this place....it's got an amazing history....a plantation in the middle of remote Hawaii but boy did I leave feeling ripped off.
I had read reviews that stated that certain cottages are better than others. Many have not been renovated so I called in advance (several times) to ensure I would get a newer cottage. When I arrived I was instantly charmed by the beautiful grounds and the main house/entrance/breezeway. I loved seeing the roosters/chickens roaming the grounds and the layout of all the different cottages was beautiful. The place felt very secluded and special but then we walked into the cottage and it changed.
The first day I tried to ignore the smelly coach and furniture. I tried to overlook the dated and heavily spotted refrigerator. This was supposed to be shabby chic but in reality the place is just shabby and in need of so much to make it worth 300 dollars a night. You can start with a paint job, newer furniture and a tv that wasn't around in 1986. No internet in room but just in breezeway...come on $300.00 bucks and no internet????
The biggest issue was the MOLD in the bathroom. GROSS. There was mold all over our bathroom.
We didn't complain about it because really we were trying to be positive but in reality 300 dollars a night should get you a place that's comfortable and really clean.
The beach was unswimmable...fine I knew that going in.....but it's really a dirty beach. The hammock had a huge hole in it. The furniture outside our room was broken.....and there was just an overall sense that the place was very close to being a dump. Sad but true. I love the history of this place and hope that the family that owns it....THAT"S right it's not even owned by Aston Company- just run by them....I hope the family will invest in it because its cool place but for 300 bucks stay at the Koa Kea.....or some other swanky place.

9  Thank Tanquerochicago
Reviewed 24 January 2011

Unfortunately, My wife, teenage son and I had to travel to Kauai for a funeral for my wife's gramma who was 92 years old and lived in Kekaha (2 miles from the Waimea Plantation). Fortunately, there was still last minute availability of a cottage at Waimea Plantation!

We arrived at Waimea Plantation at about 7:00 p.m. to a very warm welcome by the front desk staff (who by coincidence knew gramma and my wife's dad... Small town!) and we were assigned Cottage #55 which was a two story, three bedroom cottage. We parked our rental car directly in front of the cottage (which was really convenient), unloaded the car and entered the cottage.

Wow, what a great place this was... Large living room, two bedrooms downstairs, one with two twin beds and the other with a queen bed, a gigantic downstairs bathroom with an old style soaking tub and a walk in shower the size of small bedroom. Upstairs was the master bedroom and a second humongous bathroom. There was a full kitchen downstairs and the lanai on the back of the cottage was large enough for a couch, end chairs and a dining room table.

We dropped our bags and then headed to gramma's house to see the rest of the family. We got back to the cottage just after midnight, our son crashed and my wife and I poured each other a glass of wine and retreated to the back lanai. The moon was full, shining directly over the Plantation with tall coconut trees glowing under the moon light and we could hear the waves crashing on shore just about 100 yards away from our cottage. It was truly one of those once in a lifetime moments where you realize how lucky you are to be where you are right then and there!

The next morning, we all took a short walk to the beach, past the swimming pool and back up to the lobby building. Complimentary coffee service as well as WIFI service was available. there were a few diehard workaholics cathing up on their email on their laptops, but for the most part, guests were just enjoying the coffee and making plans for their day on the Island.

I ran into the General Manager, Stephanie and her husband Charlie next to the coffee station and I thanked them for keeping the Plantation in such great condition and let her know how much we were enjoying our time in the cottage. Once Stephanie heard that we were here for a funeral service, she immediately offered her staff to cut fresh tropical flowers from around the plantation grounds for Grammas service later that afternoon. The beautiful fresh cut bouquet of flowers, in a vase were delivered to our cottage 15 minutes later along with a wooden bowl of Niihau Sea Salt. The flowers and salt were placed at Grandma's grave site after the service that afternoon.

The second morning, we had lots of family members gather at the cottage for an impromptu celebration of life. Lot's of ohhhh's and ahhhh's about the cottage and plantation grounds as family members relaxed in an oceanside hammock, swam in the pool and played beach volleyball while the young great grand children chased and fed the chickens breadcrumbs and anything else they could get their hands on.

If you get the chance to stay at Waimea Plantation Cottages, you will be taken to a resort destination unlike anything else you can experience in the Hawaiian Islands. I really wish we had been there for a vacation as I could have easily stayed two weeks in that cottage. Also, although we didn't have time this trip, but I hear the happy hour and live entertainment at the Brew Pub adjacent to the lobby is fantastic. Rest assured, we will be back to do nothing more than relax and enjoy the true Island hospitality!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Hawaiians3
Reviewed 23 January 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights with a small hiking group. We all had very different cottages and loved them all. Ours was small and old fashioned but had everything we needed. I loved sitting on the porch and having a view of the ocean while I wrote postcards. We had a light meal at the brew pub on site and thoroughly enjoyed listening to some local musicians play. The ukulele player was 89 years young! We sent a text to our son to put it on his list of potential honeymoon spots.

Reviewed 18 January 2011

We just returned from 2 nights at WPC. I choose to begin our week in Kauai at this location to be near to the Waimea Canyon (Do the "3 waterfall" hike!) and to enjoy the sunnier, warmer weather that the West side is known for.

After reading the other reviews I was a bit wary of staying here but was able to reserve a cottage near the ocean - and it was just for 2 nights so we decided to try it. We stayed in cottage #57 and liked it. I think the key is being certain that you can stay in a cottage near the ocean. Some are listed as "garden view" but look at the map and get something as close to the ocean as possible. I would avoid all the cottages from halfway back to the rear of the property.

The cottages are old Hawaiian style as pictured on the web site. The bamboo furniture is okay to sit on but not great for cuddling up in front of the TV. The bed was fairly comfortable although I was chilly the first night and wished there was blankets IN the closet. But, I wanted to sleep with the windows open to hear the ocean. (I had a blanket sent over the next day.) The cottage was very clean. There was some rusty spots around the tub but, these are old buildings so that is to be expected. The kitchen was okay, very old fashioned. We did not cook in. We could see the ocean while laying in bed and hear the waves.

As noted, the beach here is not great because the Waimea river opens into it, making it muddy looking. But, it is still nice to look at. Beautiful sunsets! The grounds are very well maintained and look like you have stepped back in time into Hawaii from the old days. At night they light tiki torches and it is very exotic and tropical feeling. There are chickens with baby chicks and roosters everywhere. I am a light sleeper and YES, they crow all the time but, it is kind of fun and you get used to it. Kids would love this. Besides, they are pretty much everywhere in Kauai.

We were not impressed with the cute looking Waimea Brewing Company on the grounds or the restaurant. Okay for lunch and beer but dinner was overpriced for what you got. Try the Wrangler steak house, the Shrimp Shack and Jo-Jo's shave ice for the best treats on the West side.

Overall, this is a good choice for a few days. Depending on your length of stay, this is a great place to start your adventure and totally decompress. If resort's and fancy pools are your thing, this may not be the place for you. Also, the location is pretty remote so, if you plan to visit Hanalei and the North side while staying here, this is pretty far away. This is perfect base for those who plan to hike the canyon. We stayed here for 2 days and then moved to a deluxe ocean front room at the Sheraton in Poipu to get the best of both worlds. Next time, I think we would stay in Hanalei. We loved the more tropical side best and it was sunnier and warmer over there!

Aloha!