“Cool location, quiet rooms, but sub-par service”

St. Regis Princeville Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Let's start with the positive aspects of this grand hotel: fabulous overall property with amazingly large public spaces.
Location, location, location: can't beat it!
The views from the room and the private jacuzzi are breath-taking
Check-in is perfect
Public spaces are spotless
The spa offers amazing facials (their anti-aging one will blow you away!!!). Tested the local massage technique and my massage therapist was a master of this technique.

Now, the less happy parts:

- the beach is not a one where you can truly swim as there are rocks all the way up to the beach
- there are often outdoor events that are noisy enough to chase you away from the pool grounds
- there is only one pool, which for the size of this hotel and the fact that several families come with a large number of kids in tow, is not enough. If you go for a early swim at 7 am you will find the area not cleaned yet from the previous day (damp towels, paper napkins, remainders of food items, etc...)
- I had a very important press interview to give while at the hotel and I specifically asked our dedicated butler for a private space. I was assured that come 7.30 am I would have a reserved business office room. At 7.30 am both rooms were occupied and there was no sign anywhere informing them I had the right to use one of the rooms. I had to negotiate. Luckily one of the guests was nice enough to give his business center space away for one hour. It is as if the butler had forgotten about my request.
- Clothes cleaning: a day before an event I gave a dress to be cleaned. I indicated I needed this dress by 4 pm on Friday and was told this was not going to be an issue.. At 4 pm, no dress, at 5 pm no dress. After much stress, the dress was located and finally brought to my room.
- two days out of 6 the rooms were not cleaned upon our late afternoon return from the beach even though we had not turned on the DO NOT DISTURB red light
- the portion sizes at the 2 restaurants are ridiculously small and this comment comes from a French lady who is used to small portions, $18 for 3 grilled shrimp that's over the top.
- should I mention the terrible blow dry I received at the salon? The South African stylist made such a poor job I had to redo it myself

Because the island is simply amazing you tend to rapidly forget about the mishaps....and this is how life should be.
I recommend enjoying a full private helicopter tour of the island.

Room Tip: ask for rooms overlooking the ocean to avoid the noise from outdoor events (next to the pool)
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank vorsoni
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

This is a fabulous property with great views of the ocean and mountains, it showcases what Kauai has to offer. Watching the sunset with a cocktail is a highlight every day. The check in staff and concierges are particularly helpful.

There is more walking on the property than one might expect because of the distance to the pool and beach as the hotel sits on a bluff above the ocean. But this does facilitate the spectacular views.

It is expensive, but we stay for a night or two most every year. We prefer dining experiences in nearby Hanalei, but the on property Kauai Grill is quite nice for a special occasion dinner.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views. Most have window seats and not a place to sit outside, but some do...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Robert S
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My husband and I (in our mid-twenties) went here for the second half of our trip to Kauai. We spent the first part of our trip at the Westin Princeville. Wow, what a difference. It felt like our vacation began the moment we got here. If you can afford it, hands down stay here. The service is impeccable, the grounds are gorgeous, and the hotel is breathtaking. This hotel definitely lives up to it's name. The pool staff are all amazing. They always remembered our name and were extremely attentive with water, complimentary fruit, and towel service. The pool is beautiful with outstanding views of the ocean. Our rooms were beautiful with the best ocean view we have ever seen in our life. I do think having an ocean view room really makes a difference. Our room was on the second floor on the far right when you are facing the water. 205 maybe? it was AMAZING. The beds are SO comfortable, too. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Think this would have to be the nicest hotel in Princeville. If you are willing to splash out would recommend it! Awesome pool and private beach, recently renovated and very clean. Great service, there was nothing that was too much trouble.

Room Tip: Personally I would pay more and have an ocean view room. Would avoid the poolside rooms as I think...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mellogigi
Reviewed 21 April 2012

A couple of key tips will help you make your stay more enjoyable. AMEX has its own card for Starwood. The points are about 100% to 150% more valuable than a normal AMEX point so if you are going to stay at Starwood properties change to the Starwood AMEX card. If you use points or points with cash it greatly reduces the pain associated with the expense of this resort. That said this resort is wonderful. Calling the staff ahead of time will give you a personal connection with management at the property who went out of there way to make sure we had what we wanted in room accommodations. We did have to work the system a bit when we arrived. While we had an ocean front room ... our first one was right on top of the pool for no privacy and then we looked at another and while ocean front it also looked out at a huge wall so finally we arrived out a middle room on the 6th floor and we were both happy with the room and the staff who worked to find us what we liked. On this trip we also stayed at the Grand Hyatt and there was no comparison, the St. Regis was light years ahead in service and attention to detail and staff friendliness.

The one area we would not rate high is the food ... we expected high prices for a nice dinner but the ratio of cost to value for lunch and breakfast was not in line with our expectations. We ate out for most of our meals in Hanalei and were happy with that choice. Since we have younger children we also got a refrigerator for the room so we could provide them a quick snack.

At the St Regis they make you feel connected for your first experience at the hotel. I think they have the best front door men of any property I have ever been to. Funny, helpful, caring, interesting, charming, knowledgeable ... all of them. This can't happen by accident ... they have cultivated something very special in how they great guests.

One of the best views in the world is right out your window. If the cost is too high stay at the Westin nearby and you get to visit and use the pool and enjoy the location. From the hotel lobby and from our room our children were able to see the dragon in the water that was the inspiration for one of their favorite books ... puff the magic dragon.

One last note... even in high end hotels you can often hear the noise of your neighbors. This property was really quiet. The only thing we heard was the ocean lulling us to sleep. We recommend this property to anyone who wants a special experience.

Room Tip: Higher up, in the middle, facing the ocean.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Shepfamily
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to St. Regis Princeville Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK