“Westin Princeville is all about service”

Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
GreenLeadersGold level
Denver, Co
“Westin Princeville is all about service”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Whoever trains the staff at the Westin Princeville deserves an award. I have never been so fortunate to have every touch point with staff to be so exceptional. Every person there was friendly, competent and went above and beyond the call of duty. I even received an email after check out to inform me that I had left my iPhone charger and they would be sending it to me if I desired.

The smaller pools offered the most beautiful views and most of the time the quiet and relaxing atmosphere that I crave. Abundance of comfortable chairs and shade opportunities that so many resort pools lack.

I stayed in a studio that was very comfortable with the exception of the noisy next door guest - lots of loud talking and noise both inside their room and in the hallway at 4:00 am each morning. The only negative issue with my accommodations was the inconvenient location of the ventilation system (poor design and noisy) - the air conditioner vent was located directly above the bed location so you were either too cold or too warm.

In addition to the equipped kitchen in each unit there are abundant grill stations for outdoor meals. Thanks to the wonderful staff for keeping these sparkling clean each day!

Room Tip: Opt for a room facing the pools in building 6 or 7
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
WestinPrinceville, Manager at Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Aloha KyleDenverCo: Thank you for your comments and for complimenting the service levels the staff at the resort provides. The staff prides themselves on providing exceptional guest experiences and will be delighted to see your review. We apologize that you had noisy neighbors and the ventilation system that was blowing directly above your bed. We encourage our guests to report this to our Service Express agents so that we may address these defect whether it is a facility defect or with other guests. We are delighted that you enjoyed one of the 20 BBQ grills we have throughout the resort and will recognize our cleaning staff that works hard every day to keep the grills clean. We hope you will visit us again on your next visit to the islands. Mahalo and Be Well!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We are Westin timeshare owners of another of the network's properties and love trading to the Westin Princeville.Our stays here are different from other beachfront Hawaiian resorts as it's truly the remote, rustic region that is the draw. The North shore is primed for off the beaten track exploring as opposed sitting by the resort pool and sipping Mai Tai's.Yes, it is a full service resort and there is a pool where Mai Tai's are served but if you are coming here for just the resort you might be better served by the St Regis down the road.

There a tons of remote, exotic and sparsely populated beaches in the area they just take a little work getting to.....but boy are they worth it!

The rooms are well appointed and the staff is friendly and helpful. Quality dining in the area is limited but we love the fact that these are condos with small kitchens. We shop on the way from the airport and make the Westin Princeville our home for the week. We love the ability to prepare our own breakfast to eat lazily on the Lanai and pack our own lunches so that we don't have to leave the gorgeous remote beach we have hiked to.

I would pass on the Nanea restaurant however, unless there is a huge overhaul as the experience there was below average.

We used to go to Poipu for our Kauai visits and could not understand why people would choose to stay at the side of the island that gets more rain. The Westin Princeville has changed our opinion of that choice. We will return!

3 Thank Msk6261
Dear Msk6261: Thank you for your review and for recognizing the staff’s helpfulness and friendliness. The resort does provide poolside service whether it is having a poolside lunch or needing refreshments while lounging at one of the 4 pools. We are delighted that you were able to enjoy our resort while you explored the many adventures the north shore of Kaua’i has to offer as well as having experienced the number of beautiful white sand beaches that are located near the resort. The fully equipped kitchens provide a nice convenience for our guests if they choose to prepare meals on their own or dine out during their stay. Thank you for your feedback on the restaurant and your comments have been shared with the Food & Beverage team. We are glad to hear that you will be returning. Mahalo and until we meet again, Stay Well!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 25 September 2013

This was our second time staying at this gorgeous property and there is not one thing to complain about. I read some other reviews and some people just are never satisfied. We stayed in a studio villa both times and it was plenty of room for us. If you have a family of four or more you might want to consider a one bedroom. The rooms are very clean and are equipped with a kitchenette or kitchen which will save you tons of money on eating out. There's a Foodland right around the corner to stock your fridge. The "heavenly beds" are probably the most comfortable hotel beds I have ever slept on and the heavenly bath(Jacuzzi tub) and shower are awesome too.
The service express was on the ball, every time we needed something the staff was more than accommodating to our needs. They even call you back to make sure you received your items. The staff at the Westin is very friendly and helpful. One example is I asked one employee if they had a vending machine and he got me a complimentary drink and a glass of ice to go with. The main pools with waterfalls are nice for families because it's only 3 and a half feet deep. There's a kids pool right next to the main pool with a small slide which is great for kids 2 and up since the pool is only a foot and half deep. Some people complained about there being no beach access but there is a trail that leads down to the ocean from the property, but it's a hike and I recommend you be in good physical condition if you go down it. The last time we went to the St. Regis beach and although the hotel and pool are very nice, the beach was less than impressive. There are a number of beaches near the Westin that you can drive to in 5-10 minutes that are much better. Like I said before, we had no complaints. This property is immaculate and the service is the best I've gotten from any resort hotel. I highly recommend the Westin Princeville Ocean Villas and hope to return some day soon.

Room Tip: Building #1 and #2 located near pool and the front entrance to the property and have a nearby parkin...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank David M
Dear David M. We are delighted that you were able to come back for a return visit. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for complimenting the service express staff and other employees. The 512 square foot studio villa is spacious accommodations and provides the comforts of home with the fully equipped kitchen, Heavenly shower and separate whirlpool tub, Westin Heavenly bed, complimentary high speed internet access and more. Mahalo for mentioning the number of beaches near the resort that is only a 5 – 10 minute drive away. The staff provides our guests with a Beach Guide that outlines the facilities at these beaches as well as driving directions and ocean safety information. Thank you for highly recommending The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas as a place to stay and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Kaua’i. Until we meet again, Be Well!
Tulare, California
Reviewed 24 September 2013

First, let me say that other reviewers' complaints about beach access is valid. But that wasn't what my wife and I wanted, so it doesn't affect my review of Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas. I have read other complaints about the unfriendliness of staff, but during our stay, the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I have also read complaints about being pushed into sales pitches for time-shares and complaints about being encouraged to forego the cleaning of your villa in exchange for one person getting a free breakfast. Our concierge, Nancy M, was extremely helpful in answering questions about excursions and, after we told her we weren't interested in attending a time-share presentation she mentioned, it was no longer a topic of conversation. As for foregoing cleaning for a free breakfast, my wife and I took advantage of that about three times during the week we were there and thought it was a great offer; since it was just the two of us, and since we were gone for most of the day on a couple days, we really didn't need housekeeping to come in every day.

The grounds are gorgeous and we liked the fact there were several pools on the property. We spent a lot of time at the "quiet pool", which was somewhat secluded and not as busy as the "main pool". There are several Weber Summit gas barbecues on the property if you want to do some barbecuing. We didn't, but trust me, Webers are awesome grills. And gardeners and other staff are manicuring the property and keeping it 5-star clean.

We stayed in a one-room villa and thought it was beautiful and spacious enough for two people. The kitchen was modern. It lacked an oven, but we didn't miss it. The bedroom was spacious and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom had a jacuzzi tub and shower and was spacious as well. Did I mention granite counters throughout? Our villa also had a washer and dryer. In summary, our villa basically had everything you'd need.

Service was outstanding. Anything we needed was gladly provided and management followed up with a call making sure we were satisfied.

A plus for me was also free wifi!!!

Here are the only down-side issues we could come up with. There's not a lot going on in Princeville and we felt a little isolated until we took a short drive to Hanalei and found more shops and restaurants nearby. The Westin only had a high-end restaurant (with what we thought was a limited menu) and a market with pre-made food that they could warm up. The pizzas there we about a 4 on a scale of 10; the sandwiches weren't bad. We wished there had been something in-between pricewise on the property. Also, although this isn't Westin's fault, my cell phone had very poor reception. My carrier is AT&T. I had to leave the villa sometimes to make a phone call. I also support the complaint that the Westin should provide dishsoap and dishwasher soap instead of making you buy it after you use the little bit they initially provide.

Probably the biggest disappointment was room service. For all practical purposes, it was almost non-existent; there was room service, but the items available for room service were very, very, very limited. If you wanted any entree from the restaurant, for example, you had to order it as a take-out.

But, all in all, we had a wonderful vacation in Kauai and were glad we stayed at the Westin. As I said before, it's a beautiful and conscientiously maintained property that is staffed by friendly and helpful employees.

1 Thank Robert D
Aloha Robert D: Thank you for taking the time to outline the details of your stay with us at The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villa. We are delighted that concierge Nancy M. provided you with service that you found helpful during your visit. Our Malama ka Honua (take care of the earth) program enables our guests that would normally have daily housekeeping service to forego this service and in return receive a complimentary breakfast buffet. As it is an optional program, guests may choose to have it on one day or several days of their stay. Our spacious villas include fully equipped kitchens, washer/dryers, Westin Heavenly Bed, whirlpool tubs, flat screen TV, DVD player, Bose stereo, complimentary high speed internet access (either Ethernet wired or wireless) and more. Thank you for your feedback regarding the dish and dishwasher soap as well as the Food & Beverage offerings and Food & Beverage Villa Delivery. We are glad to hear that you had a wonderful vacation with us and we hope to see you back on your next visit to Kaua’i. Mahalo and Be Well!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 19 September 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Westin Princeville for 3 nights in August 2013. It’s my fault for not doing more research on the difference between Westin’s hotels and time-share properties, but this one definitely did not live up to the brand standard in our opinion. We would echo some of the complaints others have mentioned like the extraordinarily early check-out time (10am) and not refreshing the coffee or laundry detergent for the in-room amenities (there’s a charge). However, there was one other thing that particularly bothered me. The Westin does not have beach access, so it has partnered with the St. Regis Hotel down the street as a way to get their guests’ toes in the sand. The St. Regis is a beautiful property and the views from the beach and pool are stunning, but I’ll admit to being disappointed in whatever deal the Westin made with them. Westin guests have access to the beach and pool areas, but you’re required to bring your own towels and when the attendants find out that you’re not a guest at the St. Regis, all hospitality ceases (even if there are only 4 other people on the beach). Now I understand we were not paying guests of the St. Regis and, therefore, forfeit some expectations of that class of hotel, however, for what the Westin charges per night, I would expect more would have been included in their partnership. Overall we were happy we chose to stay on the north shore of Kauai, but we will not be staying at the Westin the next time we’re there. If you're looking for the amenities and value of a condo, rent one of the many available in the area and visit the public beach areas instead.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Minnie_Em
WestinPrincevilleMgr, Manager at Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Aloha Minnie_Em,

Thank you for choosing The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas for your recent stay and for taking the time to share your experience with us. We were pleased to read that you enjoyed the tranquil north shore of the island but are sorry that did not feel your expectations were met with regard to the resort and its beach access. The beach access provided through the St. Regis is one of many beautiful Kauai beaches we recommend based on individual guest needs and we encourage our guests to speak with our team so that we may provide our beach guide and suggestions on the best beach experience for you. Nonetheless, we have shared your comments with the St. Regis leadership team as valuable feedback. We hope you will consider visiting the islands again soon. Mahalo.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK