New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Poipu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Wonderful beginning to our two-week trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

Our family of four (two adults, two kids ages 7 and 9) stayed at the Grand Hyatt for 7 nights in April 2012.

The Grand Hyatt is open, fresh, bright . . . you walk through the lobby and there is music playing, and people milling about everywhere. The pools are beautifully landscaped, and just plain fun -- the kids just LOVED their stay!

“Being there” was very EASY . . . I could self-park or valet, I could bring my own bags up to my room, or accept the very polite offer (not at all pushy) by the bellman to take them up for me, there are dining choices for everyone, and it was easy for the kids to grab snacks from The Dock, poolside. The shops in the hotel also carry most things you may otherwise feel the need to run out for (sunscreen, toiletries, snacks) at prices very comparable to local markets (the sunscreen was actually cheaper than what we saw in the supermarket!). Free onsite laundry was WONDERFUL!!! Shipwreck beach, as everyone mentions, is not for swimming, but it’s a nice “backdrop” for the resort -- it’s fun to watch the surfers, and one day we did see a Monk Seal who had come to shore for a rest -- he was a pup named Kimo Kai. If you are able, I absolutely suggest that you do the 2-mile walk from the hotel to Mahaulepu Beach -- it's a gorgeous "hike"!

The service at the hotel was wonderful -- we had to make a room switch midway through our stay, and they made it as easy as possible. Also, one morning of our trip (only once!) my husband HAD to be on an important conference call for his job at what was, locally, 4-9am!!! Obviously, he didn’t want to do this from our room, so the hotel made arrangements for him in an unused space (it was a ballroom or something!) so that he could do his call, and have an electrical outlet, and all the privacy he needed! We were both very grateful for this, and felt it was above and beyond the call of service.

The weather in Poipu was wonderful -- plenty of sunshine (not a drop of rain all week), which was actually a fantastic way to start our vacation. I knew that the north was considered the “green” side of the island, and so had expected that the south side would be a little “uninteresting” or “underwhelming” -- but it was BEAUTIFUL! VERY green, lots of tall grasses, small mountains. Really, the natural beauty of the south shore exceeded my expectations, and as wonderful as the Grand Hyatt was, I was always happy to leave, get in my car, and enjoy the natural scenery on the way to wherever I was going!

Overall, the only thing that detracted from our stay at the Hyatt was that there were several LARGE corporate events the week we were there. It didn’t impact much, which is why I’m not making a HUGE note of it (I do think the hotel handled everything as well as they could have), but it did mean that the one night we ate at Tidepools, there was a huge function on the lawn off to the side with a very loud band playing, and lots of noisy people -- kind of a bummer since it was an expensive dinner, and we had really been looking forward to it . . . and one day, they shut down the lagoon area of the pool at 2pm for an event, which meant that the pool area became VERY crowded for that one afternoon . . .

I don't think we'll be back to Kauai anytime soon (it's a big world -- there's lots to explore!), but if I ever did return, I would absolutely visit the Grand Hyatt again!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank wonderfilledworld
GHKSocialAmbassador, Manager at Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 May 2012
Mahalo for your review of your stay here with us at the Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa.

We're so happy to have had the entire Ohana (family) here with us on your recent trip to Kauai. We're delighted to hear that you all enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the ease of being here as well as the service, and all the sun you could want. We loved hearing that you enjoyed the views here on the Sunny South Shore, and we'll hope that you'll be back again to enjoy more.

We wish you safe travels on all your future trips, and will hope to have you join us once more when you return to Kauai.

Joshua Olayer - Social Ambassador
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,309)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Southlake
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

this was our first to Kauai and won't be our last.I travel around the world and this hotel is absolutely one of the most gorgeous properties I have ever stayed at. The views are spectacular. The staff is outstanding. The location is excellent with several 4 star restaurants nearby. we stayed inthe farthest wing from the lobby- which was a long walk- but well worth it.
The workout rooms were top notch. The pool area is gorgeous. What more can I say?
go there. you WILL NOT be disappointed

Room Tip: ask to stay in the far right wing. floor 4 or 5 are excellent
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GHKSocialAmbassador, Manager at Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 May 2012

We're thrilled to have had you join us for your very first trip to Kauai. We couldn't be happier to hear that your stay with us was enjoyable in every way. Your comments about the great service, beautiful grounds and overall experience are greatly appreciated and will be shared.

Mahalo for your recommendation and we will look forward to welcoming you back to Kauai and to the resort.

Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

This was our third trip to Kauai but first time to the Grand Hyatt. We went for a conference(Wilderness Medicine) which was excellent, but staying at the Grand Hyatt made it all the better. We had a great room that had both an ocean view and a garden view, the 2000 wing. The balcony had a tables and chairs, a screen door allowed the breeze into the room but when the glass door was closed there was complete silence, a nice touch. The room overlooked the Thursday night Luau site, which was fabulous. We watched the people and the entertainment. A really night event. We really enjoyed the pool system. There is a saltwater lagoon with lounge chairs and even kayaks. Children really like this and they are ever present in the lower chlorine pool, which has a water slide. it was nice to retreat to the adult pool high above the other pools. The gardens are amazing and lush with waterfalls in too many places to count. The interior lobby is vast and open. Everyone is greeted with an Aloha and a lei. During the day there are pet parrots on display in the atrium. The beach is nothing to write home about , in fact other than having the view,eh?
We were so relaxed by the fifth day that we were asked if we were locals several times!
A great place to spoil your butt rotten.

Room Tip: Ask for the 2000 wing if you what a great view and quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank dcb4scuba
GHKSocialAmbassador, Manager at Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 May 2012

We're thrilled to have had you join us for the first time on your third trip to Kauai. We're happy to hear that your third time was charmed and you enjoyed both your conference as well as the time spent here at the resort. We appreciate all the kind words you shared about your experience, but are most happy to hear that you were able to relax and get on Kauai time.

We look forward to having you join us again and making you an honorary local once more.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

There are so many words I could use to describe the Grand Hyatt, but the above title is how I felt for the four days we were there. This hotel is fantastic. After flying nearly 15 hours and then driving for about 30 minutes to reach the hotel, my husband and I were beat when we arrived. The valet warmly greeted us with leis and the check in staff was so incredibly welcoming and friendly. We were in Kauai to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary and I had this noted when I made our reservations. We were told at check in that we had been upgraded from a pool view room to an ocean view. This also may have been due to the fact that we are also Hyatt Platinum members, but I am not sure. There was also complimentary champagne and a card waiting for us in our room. There was turndown service each night with chocolates on the pillows. The best part was the view from our room. We were able to watch parts of the luau and it was an awesome spot to watch the sunrise the first few mornings we were awake and not quite on the right time schedule.

We did not eat at any of the restaurants at the hotel, as we like to explore local places more than hotels, but the bar drinks were good! I don't understand the line at the starbucks in the lobby each morning, as there is complimentary coffee in your room, but there were plenty of people waiting in line, so it must be quite the money maker for them.

The pools are absolutely wonderful. There were a lot of kids around, but I never felt that it was noisy. We never had trouble finding lounge chairs in the afternoon and the service of the wait staff was fairly prompt.

My only regret is that we couldn't stay longer here. If you want to go on a vacation and totally splurge on someplace wonderful, this is the place to do it. You won't be disappointed. I can't wait to go back someday.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LBS528
GHKSocialAmbassador, Manager at Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 May 2012

We love hearing that "Ahhhh" is the word and feeling you experienced during your recent trip to Kauai. It gives us great pleasure to know that our guests are relaxed, and able to enjoy their time here at the resort and on island. We're also honored to have been able to help you celebrate your 10th anniversary - congratulations on such a wonderful milestone!

We regret that you weren't able to stay a bit longer as well, but we'll be happy to welcome you back for another great, Ahhhh-inspiring visit.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

We just returned from my company's club trip, and admittedly my expectations were not high. This is not because I was worried about the Hyatt itself, but let's just say my company's choices of hotels had let me down before. Well I'll tell you they hit a home run this time! The Grand Hyatt was absolutely gorgeous - I think the most impressive grounds I've ever seen on a property (that were not naturally there). Waterfalls and winding pools, lagoons, crashing waves, tiki torches, open air lobby, and a stunning golf course were all part of the incredible ambience.

I really felt this resort was a great value for the price of the room. I've been to many more expensive hotels that weren't nearly as beautiful. The food was, of course, expensive, but that's just Hawaii.

If you're looking for a hotel in Kauai, you can't go wrong choosing the Hyatt. The location is great in Poipu - close to great shopping and some fantastic restaurants.

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank brooke103

Thank you for sharing such kind words about your recent stay with us. We're delighted that we were able to exceed your expectations and allow you to enjoy your company trip, the grounds and the island.

We greatly appreciate your recommendation and will look forward to having you join us once more for another great stay.

Joshua Olayer - Social Ambassador
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,131 reviews
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK