“Most romantic anniversary spent at the Koa Kea in Maui!”

Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
“Most romantic anniversary spent at the Koa Kea in Maui!”
Reviewed 8 June 2012

My Husband and I recently spent our Anniversary at the fabulous Koa Kea Hotel & Resort, and it turned out being the most romantic vacation for us! The Koa Kea is a small Botique Hotel, not a massive complex like most hotels in Hawaii, which was a nice change. The Resort was conveniently located next to the Mariot, on a great beach; there was alsoreally good food as well as places to shop in the area. We found the location to be a really good base for sightseeing in Kuai!

The Rooms were spacious, looked exactly as they appeared in the websites photos; its way worth it to upgrade to the ocean view!! The Staff at the Resort was wonderful, they were very frindly, and provided excellent quality service during our entire stay...really made us feel at home.

A big thanks to our travel agent Renee at Unforgettable Honeymoons, who helped us figure out exactly what to do while on the Island, they also sent us tons of maps, brochures, even some useful discount coupons (which we swore we wouldn't need at first...!)--great suggestions on where to eat and go for the day too...was like we had a personal guide with us the whole time, telling us exactly what to do while there. This was a great change from us booking online and getting no real help when we needed, and their price for the entire packge deal ended up being a little less expensive than doing it all on our own!

So of course, my Husband and I are more than pleased with how well everything had turned out for on this trip...Thanks especially to the lovely Koa Kea Resort, and for providing such amazing service and accommodations for our very special occasion...this really was a wonderful experience for our anniversary.

• Stayed May 2012
6 Thank smariekell
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (677)
  • Korean first
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed 7 June 2012

This is our 3rd visit to Koa Kea, we really like this place. Everyone there does their very best to see that your visit is memorable. I feel the staff make the stay the very best. Food is outstanding
service is A+. We have visited there in November, September and May. This year the lychees were abundant which is a plus for me. Allerton garden was wonderful at this time of the year
(May) The staff will make all reservations for you which is a service appreciated. We are planning on another trip this year we always come home so relaxed, absolutely no stress while there they take care of everything they can.

Room Tip: We have always stayed at the same room, but I feel most of the rooms have excellent views, the one w...
1 Thank tennisladyet
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I have to admit, I had really really hyped this place up in my head after reading may reviews on here in the months before our honeymoon. I have to say...it lived up to and exceeded all my expectations!!! This place is amazing. Beautiful grounds, comfortable, clean rooms, amazingly kind and helpful staff. It is a quiet and peaceful little resort-the perfect place to relax. If you are looking for a big Vegas like/party hotel, this is not your place (The Grand Hyatt is) I debated if it would be worth the price tag, and it was. My husband and I are very active and they helped us set up tours, always had the car ready when we were headed out, and even packed us a breakfast at 5:30am one day on our way to an early boat tour.

The breakfast plan is a good deal if you can get it. The only complaint I would have, and it is a stretch was dinner at Red Salt...I would only consider it good...not excellent like I would have expected.

If you are considering Koa Kea over other places in Poipu, I would highly highly recommend it. Can't wait to get back there myself.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a partial ocean view room since it was our honeymoon and it was available. Look...
3 Thank azsarah80
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed 7 June 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Koa Kea in early May for the second half of our honeymoon. We spent the first half of our time on the island at the St. Regis in Princeville.

I must say, that after reading all of the reviews, I anticipated that as a couple in our early 20s, we would be treated poorly at the St. Regis but not at the Koa Kea. In fact, we decided to spend more time on the south shore because the reviews were so much better!

I was very wrong and it was very disappointing.

We arrived at the hotel at check in time and were lead to our "ocean view" room, which we paid the premium rate to have. This room was in the building furthest from the ocean and the view was blocked by the poolside bar. Definitely not a room that you would pay what we were paying to have and not what you expect when traveling on your honeymoon.

We discussed this situation with the front desk and were told that the only way we could have a better room was to pay an additional $200 per night. Once we talked to a manager, she found us a better room, but no one was remotely apologetic or sincere about helping us.

The service was fine at the Koa Kea, but not what you would expect for a hotel being compared with the St. Regis. We were not given toiletries on two occasions and only received turndown service one of the four nights we were there. We ate dinner at Red Salt and our waiter only spoke to us to take our order and bring us the bill, but we could see him obviously schmoozing older couples around us. We desperately wanted to have the same experience other reviewers had, it just didn't seem to be in the cards this trip.

The Koa Kea is in a great location on the south shore, right near Poipu Beach Park and the Poipu Shopping Village. The rooms are nice and I loved the L'Occitane bath products. Also, we had the package that included breakfast and the $50 resort credit, which was amazing. The breakfast was exceptional, it included an entree and the continental bar. The $50 daily credit was cumulative, so you could use it a little at a time or all at once and it was good for room service, drinks, things from the gift shop, pretty much everything they offer!

I visit Kauai fairly often and usually split time between the north and south shores to limit drive time around the island. I definitely know where we'll be staying on the north shore, but after our stay at the Koa Kea, we are still on the hunt for somewhere wonderful on the south shore.

Room Tip: Definitely spring for the ocean view, as long as it's in one of the buildings close to the water...
16 Thank Savannah M
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2012

This was the most perfect location for our wedding. We stayed at the Koa Kea for five nights and on the fifth night we were upgraded as a wedding present, and the view was just amazing! The hotel is spotless, the staff were helpful and kind and knowledgeable about the food served in the Red Salt restaurant. We didn't have our ceremony there, we went to the beach for that, but came back for a meal and it was the best food I think we have ever had! Just perfect!

We would highly recommend this hotel, it is perfect for couples and honeymooners. Very few children around, and plenty to see by way of beautiful scenery. Just amazing!

Room Tip: Go for the most expensive room you can afford, the view will be worth it!
1 Thank Liz S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Koa Kea Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK