“Tropical Gem”

Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
Reviewed 13 April 2012

we stayed for 3 days in april and really enjoyed our time here. the check in was smooth and immediate and exactly as we were promised. the check in lady actually took us to our room, and showed us how everything worked, the coffee machine, the air con, the remotes. the inter connecting door was not opening so she has a service man fix it immediately. very impressive.

the rooms are lovely, the bathroom is spacious and beautiful. the bed is divine, and everything worked.

housekeeping showed up every day whilst we were breakfasting, so we would return to fresh tidy rooms every day. they locked our sliding doors if the were left unlocked by us, to ensure our security.

We were otherwise totally undisturbed by the staff, as it should be.

The facilities are great, the bar is amazing and the food was good hotel food, and by that i mean be reaslistic about the what you will get, not Michelin, but tasty and fresh. We had an impromptu dinner for 14 one night, and they coped wonderfully, the food was great, the service perfect and professional. I mean they are just on to it! My ONLY issue really is that the buffet breakfast is very limited, could include more variety, ie a Birscher muesli, some hot food. Of course there is an A La Carte menu.

The beach is typically a bit rocky for Hawaii, but the surfing lessons available were fun for all, and the teacher is a true blue Hawaiian surfer. The snorkeling right off the beach was great too, and there is just enough sandy area to enjoy a crystal lear swim.The gear hire there is great and all the staff are really knowledgeable and helpful.

You can walk across the road to a shopping area where you can eat, shop and hang out, and as short drive 5 mins down the rad is another great area to eat out, and has a great Living Food store for organics and coffee and snacks.

There were not a lot of children at this resort, we had our with us and they had an amaxng time, the pool is really great for them as it is not very deep and always warm. But we enjoyed it also, and it was nice that there was not a lot of screaming and craziness!

Check out was smooth and efficient and all the credits we were due were taken off. When we returned home there was an email to say we had left a camera charger in the room, and where should they send it! amazing service and very much appreciated.

Room Tip: we enjoyed ground level ocean view very much. Beach front would be fantastic but obviously a little...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank peggy8

Reviewed 13 April 2012

The Koa Kea was a very pleasant boutique hotel with excellent service from arrival to departure. The rooms are modern with all the amenities in a very pleasing design. However the clothing storage in terms of dresser drawers was lacking. The grounds are well maintained, but somewhat spartan. I would have enjoyed seeing some flowering vegetation on the property.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Whirled_Traveler0007
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We're taking a two day break from our extended family and couldn't decide between the Grand Hyatt and Koa Kea, so let our fate (and frugality) decide for us by picking the 4.5 star hotel available at the last minute through Hotwire. We got Koa Kea for $297/nt and have been very pleased. Snorkeling on Poipu Beach, steps away from the hotel, has been wonderful. The amenities are very modern and chic. Best of all, it's QUIET. You're not going to be rubbing elbows (or worse) in the pool with anyone like at the Marriott because it's not crowded. The service is as personal and genuine as I've ever experienced.

Having just eaten dinner at the Hyatt, it seems super fun and lux. I'd love to stay the for 2 days with my 5 year old. But kind of like Disneyland, I think I'd need a break at Koa Kea just to recover.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank nausicaae
Reviewed 6 April 2012

The Koa Kea can best be described as a boutique hotel. Which means it will appeal to a certain group of travelers but it doesn't have some of the amenities that other travelers want. It is best for adults who want a quiet low key hotel, but not the best pick for families. I went with my husband (no kids) and we like small quiet hotels so the hotel suited us just fine. If you have kids you will be much happier at a place that has a better pool and a sandy beach like the Sheraton next door (the pool at the Sheraton has waterfalls and lower depth kids area and there is a nice sandy beach) . The Koa Kea hotel faces a rocky (lava rocks) beach. To get to a sandy beach with good swimming take a short walk on either side of the hotel (by the Sheraton or Kiahuna Plantation hotels or the Marriott). We didn't care about access to the beach since we were out touring much of the day. The hotel lobby is very contemporary in design, it has one restaurant (Red Salt) and a bar. We ate breakfast there, but didn't eat dinner there because the menu didn't appeal to us (pan-asian cusine) but apparently it is popular for dinner. Breakfast was included in our package and was excellent. The only other food option is the outdoor bar with a limited menu. The hotel has a small pool and hot tub. For lounging, there is the pool area and a grassy area that overlooks the ocean but there are no lounges on the beach because as I stated earlier there is no sandy beach directly in front of the hotel. We had an ocean front room which had a great view of course. I don't know what the views are from the other rooms. The room itself was excellent, with a contemporary decor, comfortable bed and well laid out bathroom that had a tub and a separate shower. I really liked the separate toilet closet and dual shower heads ("rain" and standard) in the shower. The hotel has great customer service and a friendly staff. For us, the only thing I would change is the valet parking only policy. I would much prefer to self park because I like the ease of coming and going often, particularly when I am staying at a hotel that it not self contained (meaning it doesn't have a lot of restaurants and amenities on site). Other than that we were pleased with our choice. We did look at the hotels nearby while we were there so here is what I saw. The Marriott is a condo type property with 2 bedroom apartment type units popular with families. The Kiahuna Plantation only has a few rooms with ocean views because most of the property sits further back from the ocean, but the beach in front is nice. The Sheraton is a large property and it looks like it has many rooms with good views, a nice sandy beach with lounges and the pool I mentioned earlier than has cabanas in addition to the lounge chairs.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank CAL31M
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I am not sure I can add much that hasn't already been said about this place before...great location, super friendly staff, overall the best place I've stayed in Kauai. We were upgrade to a 1st floor room with direct access to the courtyard / pool and it was great. Didn't have any issues with noise or privacy and my wife and I really enjoyed the ability to walk right into our room from the pool if we needed anything. Also having free in-room wifi and around the property was very handy and much appreciated.

I can't comment on the restaurant as we never actually had a formal dinner there, but the rest of the amenities were top notch. I've seem some people complain about the mandatory valet parking, but in my opinion it was a great free perk that made staying there extra special. Simply call ahead and your car is waiting there for you and the valets are very helpful in getting you set with towels / directions for any adventures you might have on the island. While there is no dedicated beach for this resort, you need only to walk a minute in either direction to get to two great beaches in Poipu.

If you have any hesitations about booking rest assured you will have a great stay!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank MDehamer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Koa Kea Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK