“excellent location and price”

Kaua'i Marriott Resort
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Reviewed 15 June 2012

This was an incredible find. The rooms were pristine, very upper edge, with the decor. The pool area was a hidden charm. Wide hammocks in a shady spot, were perfect for snuggling up with the one(s) you love. You must sit by the unusual firepit at night. I cannot believe how warm and cozy we all were.The staff was so courteous. The location was close enough to stores, bus stops, bike rentals that a car was just an option. We chose the travel alternates and were not disappointed. The newly completed bike trail was just down the road where we rode to see the sunrise on the ocean at the historic pineapple dump. The location also allows for easy daytrips to Northshore, or Waimea Canyon. And the price was best of all. Our first time staying here, but definitely not our last.

Room Tip: even the rooms over the parking area were not a bad choice
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 14 June 2012

This resort is made for families. The hotel and pool are beautiful and the beach access is perfect for the kids. You can walk down to rent paddle boards or stand up paddle boards and ride the long waves in the bay. There are many options for good restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. I recommend Dukes for dinner. The hotel is next to the airport so it makes it a convenient place to stay before you take off for home.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 June 2012

So I basically live in hotels for about 200 nights a year for the last 11 years - so I feel I am pretty well versed on hotels. I also spend a lot of time in Hawaii at the versus Marriott and Hilton properties on the different islands. This is one of the better if not the best Marriott hotel in Hawaii. The property is quite large but well laid out. It is also one of the few that has your own barbecue grills (three of them) that you can cook your own food on. We were very tempted to do this, but once we thought about all of the little items we would have to purchase (plates, forks, knifes, condiments...) - we decided against it. The rooms also have a little empty refrigerator that you can use to store your drinks in. This worked out great for us since there is a Costco very close by and I had five people to keep refreshed (had two rooms).

Overall the hotel is very clean and the staff was very nice. We never had any issues with noise at the property from either the pool area or the airport. Initially I was a little concerned about being so close to the airport - but their approach has them coming in in a way that you do not hear the airplanes at all. The hotel was pretty much sold out for the 8 days that I was there but the hotel never felt crowded.

As for food options - there are a couple of restaurants on the property but we opted not to eat at any of them (not a big fan of eating at the hotel unless I have to). We tried J.J. Broiler (next door) and we felt that the food was not that good and was overpriced. We then tried Kalapaki Joe's across the street and loved it. We found the food to be really good (not great but consistent and good), the prices much better than JJ, and the staff for the most part was great (we had one bad waiter during our multiple meals there). There are other restaurants in the same mall as Kalapaki Joe's - but the local reviews of them were harsh and we noticed that while KJ would be really busy the other places would be empty. Our favorite breakfast place was Ono Family Restaurant in Kapaa. We also found other solid eating places in Kapaa that are worth trying (Kountry Kitchen and Scott's Barbecue).

Back to the hotel - my only complaint about the hotel was the elevators. I have never had as many problems with elevators as we did here. We had two rooms - one on the 10th floor and the other on the 11th. My room was on the 11th - so whenever we would head up the elevators - we would push both the 10th and 11th floors. Every time the elevator would stop at the 3rd floor to pick up nobody - then go to the 10th and then go back down to the 1st floor. There was no way to get it to continue on to the 11th before going back down. There are a total of 3 elevators to choose from (two up front and one further back)- the one that always seemed to show up was the one that seemed to have the most problems. Besides that the hotel was great.

BTW - for those who like to workout - the gym at this property is first rate.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the higher numbers (88 or above) to have a better view. Those that have the low...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank xfactor00
Reviewed 13 June 2012

We were on a company sponsored incentive trip w/ my husband’s coworkers. This was our 5th trip to Kauai (last one was 2 wks in Oct before we knew about this trip!). We stayed at the Hyatt for 4 nights before switching to the Marriott for another 4 nights. No comparison between the 2 hotels. The Hyatt is far superior.

PROS:
- Location is great. Very centrally located so easy to get to both the North and South shores.
- Despite being close to the airport, we didn’t hear many planes. I am very noise sensitive and was worried about getting a quiet room. This turned out to be a total non-issue for us.
- HUGE pool w/ pretty warm water. That was a nice surprise. Often times, the pool is freezing and despite the warm sun, it’s hard for me to get in the pool. Even though the hotel was fairly full, the pool never felt crowded. The pool deck, yes, that was crowded. But lots of room in the pool. There was also a separate (tiny) kiddie pool w/ a small slide. Didn’t check it out carefully.
- Decent bkfast buffet. Little overpriced for what we got (but cheaper than the larger buffet at the Hyatt).
- No resort fee, but $14/day parking fee. Only had problem getting a parking spot in the lot behind the Ha’upu building once.
- Several restaurants and ABC store in walking distance.
- Large room in the Ha’upu tower (there are 3 towers but I think only 1 is for the hotel and the other 2 are for the timeshares). King bed, sofa, coffee table, desk and plenty of drawers and closet space.
- Lanai overlooked the pool (we were on the 21st floor). I was very surprised how loud the pool area was when we had the doors open. But once they were shut, the room was very quiet. When we were at the Hyatt, we could hear people in the room next door due to the connecting door. And we were woken up every morning between 5 and 5:30 when the people upstairs went out onto their lanai and dragged their furniture across the tile floor. The Marriott was very quiet and we couldn’t hear the neighbors at all.
- Fairly large bathroom w/ plenty of storage. Decent water pressure in the shower.
- Refrigerator (not mini-bar) so you can store your own drinks).
- Overall, service was quite good. The hostess and waitresses at the bkfast buffet were pretty friendly. We never had to wait more than a few minutes for a table regardless of the time we arrived. The only person I had an issue w/ was the bellman who brought up our bags (you leave them w/ the valet, then go check-in). We waited quite a while for them to be brought up to the room. He really just kinda threw them in the room and left (despite a hefty tip). We asked him where the ice machine was and he just said “down the hall!” Turns out, they are only located on every other floor. When we were at the Hyatt, the bellman escorted us to the room, set up 2 luggage stands and put the suitcases on them, showed us the amenities of the room, explained how to use the safe, opened the lanai doors, got us ice, etc. While he walked us to the room, he asked us if we had been to Kauai before and talked about recent changes to the hotel, etc. We were very impressed.

CONS:
- Bed was HORRIBLE! It was like sleeping in 2 craters w/ a giant hill in the middle. I was so uncomfortable that I barely got any sleep. There were no other rooms available that had a king bed so we were stuck. In hindsight, we should have switched to 2 queens and slept separately.
- Bathroom only had a single sink. The toilet was partially separated by a wall, but it would have been better if it had a door so 2 people could use the bathroom simultaneously. Also, the bathroom door was a sliding frosted glass door (not pocket door). It didn’t fit very well so lights, sounds and smells (LOL) were emitted into the bedroom. Not a huge issue for a long, married couple like us but I know 1 of my friends would have been horrified!
- There was virtually no shade at the pool. This was a big problem for me. I don’t like when I have to “pay for shade.” There are a few trees and those spaces were quickly gobbled up by early birds that staked out their places w/ towels and then left empty for hours. They don’t have a single umbrella at the pool. They had a few dual-loungers w/ a pop-up cabana lid “thingie” for $35/day. We’ve rented them in the past and discovered that they were very hot since it blocks all the breezes, they only offer partial shade and you can’t move the loungers to follow the path of the sun since they appeared to be set in a specific location. There are also 3 free standing cabanas to rent on the beach for $50/day. They are quite far away from the pool. The beach was closed while we were there due to contamination from a sewer spill.
- Several small issues – most corrected promptly. One of the light bulbs in the bathroom was out when we checked in. We didn’t have robes in the room (when they brought them, they only gave us 1 belt). We only had 2 bath towels and were missing hand towels and wash cloths. The most annoying problem was the toilet kept flushing on its own. They replaced the valve (not a flapper kind). Worked for 2 days, then the problem happened again so they had to come back. The dresser drawers couldn’t be opened independently. When you pulled out the top one, the middle one came w/ it. Minor inconvenience that we didn’t report. After the repairs were done, the front desk called us to verify we were satisfied. Nice touch.
- Bathroom wasn’t very clean. The counter is dark granite and it had a pretty thick coat of dust on it. I just used a towel to clean it on my own and didn’t bother to report it.
- Silly issue – they left a pen and pad of paper on the nightstand by the phone. Housekeeping took it when they cleaned the 1st day. At first I thought it must have slipped off the nightstand. But after searching diligently, I couldn’t find it. I did find lots of dust and some old food on the floor by the nightstand. Yuck! Again, the room wasn’t cleaned very well.
- The hotel is on a pretty mediocre beach (even w/o the sewer spill). It’s a small bay so you don’t really have a full ocean view. I don’t know why, but I got a kick out of seeing the cruise ship in port. The mountains behind the bay were pretty as well so that added to the view from our room.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank SunnySanDiego
Reviewed 12 June 2012

My husband and I have traveled extensively all over the world, and he is a Marriott Rewards member and have stayed in many, many Marriott properties all over the place, this has good and bad points.

We went on a promotional from Marriott for a timeshare presentation. When arriving we were impressed with the grounds and entryway of this hotel, very lovely. This property is huge! We rode the escalators down to the check in desk and were greeted promptly and very courteously by a young man. He very enthusiastically told us we had "an oceanview room" which of course made us very happy to hear. The check in process went smoothly and we proceeded to our 6th floor room in the Kahili Tower.

Well, we stepped into the room and it was a large enough room itself but I swear, I have never in my entire life seen such a small bathroom. It was ridiculous. There was no counter space to speak of, and the bathroom sink was the lowest I have ever seen. My husband is over 6 feet tall and the sink literally came to half way down his thighs. He literally had to almost double over to brush his teeth and wash his face, shave, etc. It almost looked as if it was designed for a person in a wheelchair but obviously the room was not handicap accessible. The toilet area/tub/shower area was equally small. Not to sound gross or graphic, but when seated on the toilet I felt I could shower at the same time. The tub/shower was literally on top of the toilet. I honestly have never experienced a bathroom area in a nice property such as this, that was such a letdown.

The other part of the room was a normal sized room, nothing outstanding but certainly well sized and maintained. One other very weird thing, at least in my opinion, there was not one single painting, photo, artwork on any kind on the walls. Nothing. Now, mind you, I realize one doesn't fly thousands of miles to Hawaii to stare at pictures on the walls, but no artwork whatsoever made the room feel very sparse and not very updated or homey. It seemed kind of cheap to me.

Also, remember the "ocean view" we were told about checking in? Well, it wasn't a complete fabrication, we could see some of the ocean but also had to overlook 2 roofs including one with all the air conditioning units. Still, we could see some of the pool area and could see some of the beachfront. The lanai was nice and good sized. Since we were there on a timeshare promotion, we got a very reasonable rate, so we were not that upset, but if I had paid full price for this room being told it was "ocean view" I probably would not have been too thrilled, but since we were paying such a small rate, we let it go and enjoyed the small view we did have, also have to love those lovely ocean breezes and sounds!

Housekeeping did a pretty good job for the most part, however, again some strange things occurred. There was a coffee maker with cofee but no condiments such as creamer, sugar, Equal, stir sticks, just coffee. I had to go down to the coffee shop and request creamer. We never did get any of these condiments. Also, my husband has hypertension and can't drink regular coffee, I requested decaffinated, did not get it. One morning I had to roam the halls until I found a housekeeping cart and requested they exchange the regular coffee for decaf. The housekeeper I spoke to was very friendly, but I couldn't help but wonder why these things weren't taken care of when asked? Also, any glasses we used in the room were left, dirty in the room after housekeeping had cleaned the room. I had to leave them in the hall in order for them to be taken away. Other than these quirky things, housekeeping did okay.

The pool area is lovely and huge. A great place for families to hang out. We had breakfast a couple of times at Kuki's, the poolside restaurant and the food was very good, staff very friendly and attentive.

I had a beach massage and Victoria, the massage therapist I had was wonderful. She did a great job! It was hugely relaxing to have the massage right next to the ocean. I recommend this if you can work a spa treatment into your schedule.

Duke's Canoe Club and Barefoot Bar is a fun place to go for food and drink. The Kahlua Pulled Pork Sandwich was delicious! They have live music on certain days and we had a great time having Mai Tai's there. I recommend it!

We did go to the timeshare presentation and I will say I was impressed. The sales staff were friendly and not at all high pressure like some other timeshare presentations we have attended. We are not prepared at this time to buy a timeshare but these people were very nice and I did not at all feel pressured to buy.

Overall this is a nice place to go on vacation, I would absolutely go back to this property, I just hope if we go again that we get a room with a larger bath area.

Room Tip: Ask about size of bathroom, also "ocean view" may not be truly an "ocean view" r...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tamstrat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Kaua'i Marriott Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK