“I had to call the front desk immediately...”

Garden Island Inn Hotel
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Reviewed 13 July 2012

...to tell them how happy I was with my room! I was so excited, I really couldn't keep it to myself.

When I booked my 3 night stay at the Garden Island Inn, I didn't realize that for the low price I was paying, I would be getting 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, a full and fully-equipped kitchen, and 3 balconies, all with ocean views. It just didn't sink in that someone would offer that much room for such a reasonable price. In terms of value alone, this is a must-stay.

And there's more! If you are fortunate enough to be greeted at the front desk by Germaine, then you will know what I mean when I say that she is absolutely world-class. She is fun, friendly, and so welcoming... the perfect introduction to a relaxing stay on Kauai. Every hotel should have a Germaine, and it will bother me from here on out that they don't (thanks for ruining hotels for me, Germaine : )).

Another nice feature is that they are a one-stop shop for everything you will need during your stay, and you can't beat the price (FREE!!). They offer snorkeling gear, boogie boards, beach towels, sand castle stuff for the kids, a nice selection of DVDs, tennis gear, etc., all right there at the front desk for no extra charge. How convenient is that? And the most convenient thing of all was Germaine's hand-annotated map of the island which my friend and I used almost exclusively to plan our activities. So handy!

I've rated the Garden Island Inn as "Excellent". But be advised, this is not a 5-star property or anything like that. Make sure your expectations are realistic- the condos are spacious, but they're also getting old and it shows. The beach is a bit of a hike. Your view of the harbor is partially blocked by a big factory. None of these things bothered me at all, hence the Excellent rating, but just be aware that while the Garden Island Inn is quaint, friendly, and a great value, it's not perfect and you shouldn't expect it to be.

Cheers, and Safe Travels!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank PattyDumpling
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 2 July 2012

We just returned from our seventh trip to Kauai, and like all the others, it was enhanced by our stay at the Garden Island Inn. From the fresh flowers in our room on arrival to the friendliness of the staff to the complimentary popcorn and granola bars this old friend pays attention to details. Don't underestimate the value of the in room fridges and microwaves. And especially don't under estimate the beach stuff they have for loan. If you want to sit at a resort and veg out a the pool all day, this is not the place for you. But if you want to explore the beaches, rain forests, trails, restaurants, rivers, and waterfalls that define Kauai, you won't find a better place. It's a great value with a superb location (near shopping and dining and midway between the beauty of the North Shore beaches and rain forests and the South Shore's Waimea Canyon). There is some road noise, but that is eliminated with the air conditioning or acceptable as a trade off for the Hawaiian breezes. Consider what you really want on a visit to the Garden Isle, and you'll find this hard to beat.

Room Tip: Third floor rooms have better views of sunrises and sunsets.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Bob H
Reviewed 25 June 2012

We stayed here in May, '12 for 2 nights at the end of a 50th anniversary trip to Oahu and Kauai. We wanted to be near the airport for our trip back home. It was just lovely, with gorgeous flowers everywhere and a waterfall by the walkway. We stayed on the 2nd floor and had a small balcony on which to have breakfast. We had originally booked for the ground floor, but then decided we really wanted a balcony and more of a view, and the staff was so nice and found us this room. It was lovely and clean and comfy and had everything a traveller needs. It's also about a half an hour to the beaches at Poipu on the south coast of Kauai where the snorkeling was awesome. I would say you need a car to explore the island on your own. We had a late departure (around 9:00 p.m.) and we asked if we could leave our luggage and wash up somewhere. The staff person suggested we could stay in our room until evening for less than half of the room rate. That was a great help to us. We will definitely return here.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gordon G
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Excellent accommodation for the price. Short walk to the beach, shops eateries etc. The staff here are wonderful. They also manage 2 x 2 bedroom condos in the complex adjacent which we found ideal for our group. If you have a choice take the corner condo for the breeze. The only downer,and this was throughout Hawaii, is that the airconditioning in all of the condos and hotels that we stayed was out dated and lacking in performance. The wonderful staff at Garden Island more than made up for this and I will certainly stay there again when we next visit.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank MarkandChrissy
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Highly reccomended.

- Great location: Close to good eats at Kalapaki Beach, especially the Kalapaki Beach Hut is great. It's also close to the airport.
- Friendly staff: Ask them anything, they will help you.
- Clean room
- Free Wifi
- They even have boogie boards, beach towels and so one you can borrow for free. That was great for us because we didn't bring our own boogie boards the whole way from Europe.
- Aloha spirit ;-)

I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kerthi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Kauai Shores Hotel
#10 of 11 in Kapaa
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Garden Island Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK