Hale Pohaku Beachside Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort(Poipu)
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 January 2011

We rented out the entire complex for the nights around our wedding - there was my husband and I, both our parents and siblings families plus all our bridesmaids and groomsmen. This totalled to 26 adults and 3 little boys! We searched endlessly for accomodation that would suit all of us, and I am so happy we chose Hale Pohaku. I am from Texas and my husband from Sydney, Australia; we wanted our closest friends and family to stay in one place to meet each other and have a chance to get to know each other. All of our party seemed very pleased, and the property was just about what I expected.

There was an issue that a few of the keys were not in the lock boxes, and we needed some additional furniture for the kiddos. I called Richard, the manager, and he turned up within a few minutes and took care of it. He was friendly and polite, and I felt comfortable that he would take care of us should there be any further issues during our stay. We had no more issues.

The rooms were clean and laid out very well. The houses were SO much bigger than we expected, which was great because all our friends felt like they had more privacy than I had prepared them for. The property is by no means 5-star - but the beds were comfortable, everything was clean, plus the gardens and property as a whole had a lot more character than the websites give it credit for. Plus the property was relatively enclosed, so we didn't worry at all about noise, privacy or the kids running off . . .we were in our own little commune, it was exactly what we wanted.

The location is AMAZING there is a beautiful but rough beach a couple of yards away, and a little convenience store which was well used by our guests. Just a few seconds away was Poipu Beach park with calmer waters and good snorkling. A few yardsin the opposite direction of the ocean was a sports bar with excellent happy hour specials. As for amenities, the kitchens were moderately stocked and the beach gear was well used but fit for purpose - we didn't need or even want anything that wasn't there. Also the basics: lots of towels, toilet paper and an added bonus the washing machine worked well.

The decor is cute and the seabreeze came throughout all thehouses/lawns perfectly. The pool was great - clean, cool, and bigger than many residential pools which was nice. The kitchen in the managers house was huge and had so much counter space . . .which was perfect because we wanted everyone to eat together. We spent most of our time at the property on the managers porch with some cold drinks and good music. My only complaint were the stray cats; however, we saw them eating through all the trash cans in the area, so there is simply not much anyone can do about them.

Overall Hale Pohaku was a perfect experience for our wedding vacation, and many of our guests agreed the setting could not have been better.

• Stayed: October 2010
2  Thank scherie57
Reviewed 9 January 2011

Casual. Comfortable. Clean. Great Location.

Richard was very responsive and made sure we were comfortable. Exactly what we needed to make our vacation memorable.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 December 2010

We stayed at Hale Pohaku from September 15 through the 22nd, 2010 and hosted our daughter's destination wedding. There were 45 guests attending the wedding and about 25 people stayed on the premises. The wedding was held on the property including the ceremony, dinner under a tent, the DJ and dance floor, and a well-stocked bar. We rented the entire property for our stay.

The house and cottages were well-appointed, comfortable, and well-cleaned. Our only recommendation for improvement is that the furnishings were somewhat dated and could use updating. However, it is Hawaii and we spent very little time outside of meals and sleeping inside. The house and cottages all had fully equipped kitchens, barbecues outside and plenty of space for large gatherings. The pool was clean, well-maintained, and provided a central gathering place in the evenings.

The staff, Richard and Summer, were unbelievably accommodating. We planned a wedding from 6,000 miles away and they were instrumental in its success. Richard found the best caterer at very reasonable prices and arranged our reception from start to finish. He also recommended a top-notch DJ and florist, also very reasonably priced for the service we received. We can't thank Richard enough for his help during this potentially stressful event. Everything went off without a hitch and Richard responded to every request we made, before, during, and after our stay. Even our daughter said, "I can't imagine my wedding having gone any better."

I can only make judgement based on my experiences here, and my experience were first-rate. I highly recommend Hale Pohaku! Should we return to Kauai it will be our first choice for accommodations.

Thank you Richard and Summer!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 December 2010

We have taken our extended family to Hale Pohaku on three occasions in the past, and will be returning in June 2012. There is nothing like it in Poipu. The location, 1/2 block from Brenneke's Beach is unbeatable. The Hale Pohaku website gives a good idea of the accommodations, which are clean, pleasant, and well maintained. The fact that the property is enclosed makes it ideal for toddlers and young children. Additionally, the pool( which is a rarity in Poipu), is a real plus, particularly with the children, allowing for extended water play away from the Beach. The owners/managers, Summer and Richard, have always been most pleasant to deal with and have been most attentive to any needs which have arisen.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 October 2010

Summer, (owner) it would behoove you to listen to what other guests are saying. I think you are only living on the fact it has a pool and close to beach...for your own peace of mind go check out other vacation homes on the isle. You have much to learn about running a vacation home.
Good Comments: wonderful location , right by the beach. Nice pool..( although no one came to check on the pool, put in chemicals, clean or etc) Landscaping could be beautiful with just a quick clean up..especially around pool. I personally spent one day cleaning up landscape around pool.
Our oven did not work we called and were told they would not be fixing the oven ( after we had bought food to cook ) . Irrigation ran all night from 3 am on...kitchen pots pans, disgraceful. No cleaning suppllies, could not sweep, or clean anything up. Toilet overflowed 3 times, had to go buy disenfectant..called no one ever came by. Not enough towels ( 2 washclothes for 5 people) not floor mats ( nice beach towels)
Your curtains are black with dirt..I actually tried to get them down ( to wash them ) but the rods are so rusted couldn't.
Here is the sad part...if you are going to own this place then pay attention to it and keep it up. There is complete lack of cleaning, complete lack of any detail. It is sad because this
place could be a piece of heaven...with just some TLC they could all be doll houses , you could charge a little more and you would get some positive reviews...I mean we had to buy paper towels, toilet paper, washing soap etc. It is really sad...just put some effort in to it and you will have a winner. But I could tell the curtains have NEVER been washed, they are black they are so dirty. Also when we got in the refrigator had not been clean and old food was left in it...we cleaned it out. We have stayed at many vacation rentals is this is the first one you can tell there is such lack of caring. I did not expect the Hyatt at all, and I am easy going, but you need to get you act together and clean. I wish I could have stayed longer in one day I could have had this is great shape.
Our friends and us had a good time and we did enjoy th epool, but in the back of our minds we asked has it been cleaned, did they clean the house ?We didn't see any house cleaner, yard or pool worker all the days we wer there. THis is not a review to hurt your feelings...read all the others, they had the same experience...just pay attention , check your houses out...what people are saying is true...I think we all see you have a diamond in the rough...if you made it presentable you could get more money for it.
one more thing..pool furniture is cheap and broken...why no outdoor tables, umbrellas a hammock...little things mean a lot. I would suggest if you can't do this, hire someone that will get your place in shape for you.I would not ask for our money back, as the pool and beach were great. Can't help the roosters, that is part of the charm...but the complete lack of attention to detail is not charming.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends