1,086 results
All reviews lydgate park wailua bay state park open air lobby resort fee the cottages beach mats breakfast buffet hot tub public beach close to the airport ocean view front desk staff free mai tais lihue airport nice beach central location
Reviewed 4 April 2018

I'm not sure why they charge a resort fee as this is not yet a resort. The pool is tiny and chilly. The rooms are renovated but the cleaning is spotty. They supply microwaves but nothing to use with a microwave and staff are not allowed to lend out bowls, forks, etc. The elevator is too small for the carts and was musky the night I checked in. There are much better bargains out there...take a pass for now!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
1  Thank David T
JonAllen C, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Kauai Wailua Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am sorry to hear that you encountered these issues with the resort fee, elevator, and cleanliness. The property has 2 pools and a hot tub, but we are disappointed that they did not meet your expectations. If you should ever stay with us again, feel free to ask an agent for microwave safe plates and utensils, as we now stock them at the front desk. . We appreciate you staying with us and hope to improve on your suggestions.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Our first 4 nights were spent at the Hilton Garden Inn. We are Hilton gold members so we are very familiar with Hilton Garden Inn in the states. We were not disappointed with our stay but we were not overly enthused either. The room was clean and efficient. Beds as usual are comfortable. We had a nice view out of our window. Understand there are no balconies.

The staff was very nice and accommodating. One very nice perk was that our fifth night on Kauai was spent at Kalalau and the hotel was kind enough to keep our luggage for us overnight as we were hiking and camping. They did it free of charge. We loved the open lounge area. It was comfortable and completely open air. We had breakfast there each morning and we spend some time there a few evenings before bed.

We ran on the trail outside the hotel most mornings and walked the beach once. The beach when we were there was filled with trees and limbs so was not the most attractive. We saw a few people at the pool which was very basic. This did not effect our stay since we did not plan on using it anyway.

The location was nice. We spent time in Kappa and Wailua during our four days and one day took the 40 minutes drive to the north shore. It was very close to the airport 10-15 minutes.

2  Thank Robin V

Thank you for staying with us, and thank you also for taking the time to share your review, we really appreciate it. Yes, the nearby park and beach are ideal for most guests being so close by; unfortunately with nature and being down stream from the nearby Wailua river, anytime we have a big rain some of that debris does tend to flow in. Typically though that clears itself after a few days but overall a great beach for swimming and even snorkeling actually when weather is sunny and great! We thank you again for these comments and will be sure to share them with the team, also we hope that we have the opportunity of look forward to welcoming you back on a future stay, with an opportunity to hopefully exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Friendly staff with very comfortable amenities. Location was in great spot on island to cover north and south day trips. Outstanding breakfast selection covered all of our travelers with different food requirements.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
1  Thank John H
Danielle V, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Kauai Wailua Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Aloha John H,

Thank you! You summed it up just well. Basically those are all the reasons this resort is a great place to stay. Great location, great amenities, great food and above all, great people! We hope to have you join us again on a future stay. Take Care!

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

The staff at this hotel was really excellent and they were all very friendly.
We stayed recently for 4 days/3 nights. We arrived at the hotel from a 5 am flight from Oahu and it was pouring. We went straight to the hotel and they had a room so they let us check in very early. That was amazing! However, the breakfast was not. We went through the breakfast buffet and got some eggs and sausage and both were horrible and very hard to swallow at $22 each. If you decide to do the buffet, choose one of the included a la carte items. There were other things like yogurt, fruit and pastries though if you eat that kind of thing.
On the last day of our stay, our flight was at 10 pm and they didn’t offer a courtesy suite to freshen up so we paid the day rate for our room so we could still enjoy our day and be able to shower before our flight. The day rate was still $149, which I felt was pretty steep for a room that would have been empty anyway but I can’t say it wasn’t worth it.
The pools on property were very small but clean. The grounds were ok, the room was just ok, the hotel itself was just ok.
The location is NOT ideal except that it’s close to the airport. We had only been to Kauai one time before, 15 years ago on a cruise stop so we were pretty unfamiliar with the area. I booked this hotel on the American Airlines website because it said free cancelation. We weren’t sure which other island we were going to yet so I thought OK, I’ll book this and if we decide to go to Maui I can just cancel it, but as soon as I hit reserve, a pop up appeared and said NO CANCELATION so we were stuck. So when we got there I was not very happy because Wailua Bay, is well, not the prettiest water in Kauai. Part of that was because it had been raining for a long time and a river feeds into Wailua Bay bringing a lot of run off/dirt/debris with it which made the water the first day we were there comparable to Galveston Island—- brown and ugly. It got better as the days went on but it never looked great. The beach is littered with debris and huge driftwood logs and it’s smelly. Years ago when we landed in Kauai we had rented a car and drove around to different snorkeling spots. At that time Lydgate Park, which backs up the hotel, had a lagoon that we snorkeled in. There wasn’t much to see there even at that time but there was clear water in the lagoon. Since then the lagoon has become a filthy, debris filled toilet bowl- like mess that I wouldn’t put my big toe in much less submerge my face into. I don’t think there was enough water to get into anyway. I had read that the state tried to dig it out to make it deeper and hit unfavorable dirt which “muddied” the waters and ruined the lagoon and ruin it they did. None of this is the fault of or under control of the hotel, but it might be a nice thing to know if you’re making a decision. The park itself is beautiful but the water around is just not. Maybe in the summer the water is more calm and therefore more beautiful but I can’t say for sure.
Personally, we would not ever stay here again because of the location and that there’s nothing special about the hotel. It’s an average hotel with a below average location and in my opinion not worth the rate.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Julia_Bulia67

Aloha Julia_Bulia67,

Thank you for staying with us, and thank you also for taking the time to share your review, we really appreciate it. Yes, the nearby park and beach are ideal for most guests being so close by; unfortunately with nature and being down stream from the nearby Wailua river, anytime we have a big rain some of that debris does tend to flow in. Typically tho that clears itself after a few days but overall a great beach for swimming and even snorkeling actually when weather is sunny and great! I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy our other amenities on site, but sad to hear that your experience wasn't satisfactory. We thank you again for these comments and will be sure to share them with the team, also we hope that we have the opportunity of look forward to welcoming you back on a future stay, with an opportunity to hopefully exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

I stayed with my 2 granddaughters and the pool was disappointing but the real disappointment was the dining! The dinner (we all ordered something different) was cold and not good but the breakfast was terrible. The scrambled eggs were a dried out lump and the girls couldn't eat theirs, we asked for crisp bacon and it was raw! Big prices for terrible food!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family

Aloha sgcarmel,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review and also for staying with us. I am sorry to hear that the pools on property were less than desirable. Your mention of your time in the restaurant is very concerning to me and not to our norm. I would like to take the opportunity to look into this further to find out what may have occurred during your dining experience. Please accept our sincere apologies. I welcome you to contact me directly at the resort and look forward to hearing from you.