Overall we had a good experience. We had some relatively minor issues, but the next time we're on Kauai this hotel will likely be where we stay. I think you would be very hard-pressed to do better than this for the money. We stayed here in July for 5 days.
+ Rooms were cleaned often over the day, so you probably won't miss a cleaning even if you have a later start
+ The beach was ten feet from the property. It's not a swimming beach, but it was great to sit and relax near the waves.
+ Location was excellent. I would recommend staying at Kapaa, especially if you are traveling to both the north and south sides of the island for any reason. The area is sort of a bottleneck for traffic, but that's unavoidable. Also, some of the best places to eat on the island are near Kapaa. You should have a car though; there isn't much within walking distance.
+ The front desk had a small area next to it to get items to charge to your room, which was convenient
+ The ocean view is excellent. If that's the sort of thing you enjoy, I would consider paying for the upgrade. We did overlook the pool and bar area as well, but that wasn't an issue for us.
+ WiFi was free, though it took a few tries to get working since I don't think our room was that close to an access point.
+ The room was pretty large (we were in an ocean view room, so I can't speak to the size of other rooms obviously)
+ Balconies are private. They are skewed a little bit so that you can't see the balconies for the rooms on either side of you; it's a good design.
+ The people handling our bags were extremely helpful and very nice. The front desk was as well.
+ In general, value for the money was excellent, especially when considering the quality of the location.
- We had a small ant issue. We were on the third floor, so that seemed a little odd, but we killed a few dozen tiny ants in the bathroom and one in the bed. After encountering them twice over three days, we told the front desk who seemed very surprised by the situation (I doubt that this was a common complaint) but sent people to investigate and handle it. We killed a few more ants a couple of days later still, though.
- Pretty sure the only breakfast option on site was really expensive, but we didn't investigate it too closely
- Our safe was locked open which isn't a big deal, but it took contacting the front desk twice about it to resolve the issue
- Balcony space is a bit small
- At 10pm on one of our last days there, the front desk called to indicate that they had forgotten to place a card on file for the room (though I do remember giving them one at check-in). Not sure why the desk decided that 10pm was the ideal time to try and resolve that.
- They have an odd beach/pool towel system where they give you a "towel card" on check-in, and if you don't have it when you check out you get charged. You turn in the card for towels and get it back when you drop them off. Not a negative really, just different.
- Asking for late check-out was a bit of a process. They weren't able to take the request until 8am on the day of checkout, and weren't sure if they could provide it. We were hiking on our last day and wanted to be sure we could shower. That said, they worked with us, even stepping outside their normal policy to make sure that we were taken care of.
-Not an issue I normally run into with Verizon, but my cell reception was pretty weak. It wasn't a big deal, just something to be aware of.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Centrally located on 10 beachfront acres amid a century-old coconut grove, this deluxe oceanfront resort hotel offers breathtaking views, spacious suites and open-air dining. Centrally located, many movie production crews choose to stay here as it's minutes from anywhere on the island. It's an excellent base to explore and discover the natural beauty that the Garden Island has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Marriott, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia and HotelQuickly so you can book your Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Courtyard By Marriott Kauai At Coconut Beach Hotel Kapaa
- Aston Hotel Kapaa
- Resortquest Kauai Beach Makaiwa
- Aston Resort Kapaa
- Waipouli Beach
- Resort Quest Kauai
- Courtyard Kaua'i At Coconut Beach Kauai/Kapaa