“Was I at the same Courtyard by Marriott Kauai as the complainers below?”

Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I have just returned from 10 glorious days at this resort and I am really surprised at some of the negative reviews about this hotel. My husband and I have travelled extensively for both business and pleasure and we were hesitant in booking because we worried about it being a "Courtyard". We expected mediocre, what we got was absolutely outstanding.

The staff are fantastic, they couldn't be more hospitable and helpful. If they didn't already have a smile on their face, it came instantly upon engagement. It is most evident that they truly enjoy working at this resort. It speaks volumes that they are confident in making reccommendations for off site dining and don't hesitate to suggest where to find the "best" of everything on the Island.

The location can't be beat, it's central to just about everything on Kauai and close enough to all the stores you might need if you choose not to rent a car, (I do reccommend that you rent a car so that you can take in all Kauai has to offer). For those that complain the beach isn't swimmer friendly, just an fyi that many beaches on Kauai are not swimmer friendly. There is a good brochure available at the airport that outlines what public beaches are deemed safe for swimming and have lifegaurds on duty along with other important beach safety information. This location is one of the best I saw on the Island, and we travelled the entire Island, the pool and hot tub area are pretty much on the ocean, you cannot get much closer than this. An added bonus is the incredibly comfortable outdoor furniture and hammocks.

If you book a room with an oceanview or a deluxe oceanfront room you won't be disappointed, they are all well appointed but know the definition of each to ensure that you are happy with what you reserve. If price is a concern, book a garden room or less, athough you may not have a great view the time you spend by the pool on the ocean will make up for it ten fold. A drink by the fireplace by the pool overlooking the ocean is an incredibly relaxing end to the day.

We ate at the restaurant several times, we were not disappointed. The prices were reasonable, the selection more than adequate and the food was very good. The shrimp done any way they offer is amazing. The drinks were a bit pricey outside of happy hour as are the drinks at most hotels. There are lots of great restaurants and local favourites close by, just ask the staff and they'll point you in the right direction to find what you're craving.

I agree that the $14. parking fee is a bit over the top for a hotel that does have extensive space for parking. It would be a nice gesture to lower that a bit but compared to other locations that charge up to $24. per day this isn't all that bad. As for the towels, they are indeed far from fluffy but they did the job just fine. Our bed was very comfortable and the room immaculate.

As we were sharing our last drink in this beautiful setting I reflected on the fact that we didn't have a single complaint about the hotel, the service, the setting or anything else about this resort." For two road dogs like us this is remarkable. We cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: 4th floor has best views, oceanview away from the pool is quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Sandra M
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach

Reviewed 21 April 2012

Towels in rooms are low quality small and thin. Same with pool towels. It's a small thing but you expect more from a hotel that is otherwise very nice!

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We took a trip to Hawaii to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. We stayed here for 10 days in March after a 5 day stay in Molokai. As the TV news in Molokai kept showing the floods and street washouts in Kapaa, I called ahead to see if we needed to change hotels. Three days in a row I left voice mail messages for Crystal, the hotel manager, and she failed to return any of my phone calls (despite mentioning that we were Marriott Rewards members coming for our 20th wedding anniversary).

On the phone the front desk personnel insisted that the storm didn't affect them at all; however, when we arrived they handed us a "Dear Valued Guest" letter stating that they lost a "booster bump" in the storm and so it would be hard to get hot water but that they had expedited the part. The first 2 days we had hot water; the remaining 8 days we didn't and the "expedited" part didn't show up during our stay.

Front desk upon arrival - very abrupt and rude.

First visit to the cocktail bar upon arrival - I tried to order a tropical rum punch. The bartenders (2 women) had never heard of it and asked me to order something else. We said it was just rum and fruit punch. They said they didn't know how to do that. So, I ended up ordering a Margarita -- it was a very small plastic glass and $9.50. The beer was the same price in a small plastic glass. So, almost $20.00 for 2 very small drinks before tip. (Also, a previous reviewer mentioned free Mai Tais and complimentary beach towels upon arrival--we received neither and no pleasant conversation either.)

Pool area - there is a beautiful fire feature with chairs by the pool. Unfortunately, at night time, they only turned it on twice during our visit. The first night the hot tub was cold and not working. They got that fixed a couple of days later. It seemed that either the hot tub or fire feature was working--they couldn't both be on at the same time. Also, although the bar was usually quite empty, the bartender/s just stood in there. There was no poolside service day or night. The night we sat by the fire feature the chairs were full and extra chairs were pulled up -- there were 20 of us and no drinks being served. By this time most of us had already seen the lack of service at the pool and had brought our own soft-sided coolers and beverages. The Marriott is missing a huge cash opportunity here. One round alone would have been $200.00 but I guess the bartenders were too lazy to work for tips; they spent most of the time gabbing at the bar.

Restaurant in Pool Area - very few menu options. Again, they do not serve at the pool area tables. You have to go to the bar to order food and then bring it over.

Parking - they charge $14.00 a day to park there. Another hotel guest told us that a day before we got there the storm the water in the parking lot was 3-4 feet deep and people couldn't get their cars out to get to the airport. This was despite the front desk telling us that "everything was fine--we weren't affected by the storm."

Power - the power went out while we were there too. I was switching laundry from the washer to the dryer and it went out. I ended up hanging all the wet clothes on our balcony and in our room to dry out. The power was out about 4 hours.

Room - the room was very clean and well kept.

Yoga - they have on-site yoga a few times a week and the instructor does a great job. (However, she does have her own studio just down the street so you don't need to stay here to take her classes.)

Restaurant - due to lack of service and high prices in the bar area, we only ate breakfast there once. It was okay, but pricey and very slow service. We did not eat dinner there.

I would highly recommend staying somewhere else. The beautiful grounds do not make up for the lackluster service. You can certainly find beautiful grounds many places in Hawaii. Nobody would expect such a poor showing from a Marriott. By the way, we never received a phone call back from Crystal or met Crystal during our entire stay there.

Note: Please feel free to check out my other reviews. We do not consider ourselves high-maintenance travelers and usually rate places more on the high end.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel altogether, but if you have to stay here, pick a room not by the door leading to an...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MN_Travel_Bug_1
Reviewed 18 April 2012

This is a very good resort on the beach, centrally located for much of Kauai. The restaurant is excellent and the staff helpful and friendly. I would love to return to this resort.

The thing that separates good companies from bad is how they handle problems. There was a problem with my reservation at the Courtyard Kauai, and the important thing is that not only did Crystal the manager fix the problem, she went above and beyond to make sure the rest of my stay was exceptional. When I brought I to the attention of Crystal the Manager she took care of it. She even bought me dinner which wasn’t necessary but was a very nice touch.

This is a really great resort. that is in the middle of some upgrades and there is construction going on. But, Wi-Fi is now available throughout the resort which was a welcome thing.
The resort sits on a beautiful but unswimmable part of the ocean, but the sunrises were amazing.
I was thoroughly impressed with the restaurant. The breakfast buffet was $18 a day (kind of average for Hawaii) which included a large spread of food; eggs, omelets, potatoes, oatmeal, lots of fresh island fruit, cereal, pancakes or waffles, juice, milk, toast, and plenty of other items. For the islands the price was reasonable. The Rib eye steaks I had for dinner were some of the best ever, and they have a good wine list to go with dinner. While I never had drinks in the bar, it looks like it was recently re-done and has a great view out to the ocean.
Because of the mix-up with my room they put me in one of the ocean view suites. Being right on the ocean in Hawaii is excellent. Having a Jacuzzi tub in the bathroom is even better. The oceanfront suites are a great deal if you plan to spend time in the room. The ocean view rooms will do for most people.
I would love to return to this resort.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank HermosaSteve
Reviewed 17 April 2012

This hotel has everything that annoys me in a hotel. The following complaints you may find trivial, as well you should, but when I spend several nights amid all these little things, especially when I'm paying an outrageous nightly rate, these things really begin to annoy me. So bare with me and let me vent: 1) parking fees - $14 per night to park in a mostly empty lot; 2) Doors that slam (and the people who let them slam behind them instead of closing them gently). All the doors here are self-closing and have those pressure arm type hinges on them to keep the door from slamming but they are either broke or maintenance just doesn't take the time to set them, so when they are allowed to slam shut on their own the whole wall shakes. The Neanderthal male in the next room was deaf to the noise and oblivious to shaking the building every time he went in/out of his room.; 3) one (1) small towel rack in the bathroom and it is located right directly above the toilet - if the lid is up and you don't get your towel/washcloth firmly squared on the towel bar, guess where it ends up, and I don't even like to think about all the toilet spray every time the toilet is flushed. Oh, and just a side note here, this was the loudest flushing toilet I have ever heard - seriously annoying!; 4) no fan in the bathroom, sort of. There is a vent that comes on as part of the ventilating system for the entire hotel, but there is no fan that the room guest can turn on/off as desired; 5) one tiny clothes hook on the bathroom door and it's one of those modern looking gadgets that towels/clothes won't stay on anyway. The not so trivial complaint but my last; 6) cheap, crackly mattresses. These are probably the original mattresses installed when this hotel was new (and this is an older hotel). You sit on it and it crackles like paper or plastic. It is an old mattress before pillowtops and from the feel of it before quilted batting. Suffice to say, it didn't provide a comfortable nights rest. So what did I like about this place? Location. It's oceanfront and within walking distance to shopping and several really great places to eat and it's a central location as a base to touring the island. All the hotel staff, from the front desk to housekeeping, was friendly and helpful. We ate breakfast in the Voyager cafe and enjoyed evening snacks at the bar and it was all very good and somewhat reasonable in price. Would I stay here again? Probably not.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank H&H-Hacienda
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
5.4 km away
2.2 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Kauai Wailua Bay
11.0 km away
Kaua'i Marriott Resort

Been to Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK