“Quiet but still a great location”
Review of Fern Grotto Inn

and 1 more site!
Fern Grotto Inn
Ranked #1 of 15 Speciality Lodging in Kapaa
Santa Cruz Mtns, California, United States
“Quiet but still a great location”
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I loved staying here. I was alone on my trip to Kauai and I was in the garden cottage. It was great for one person but easily would have been just as comfortable for two people. When I pulled into the parking lot Paul was taking out the trash and he helped me carry my (heavy) luggage in so I didn't have to pull it through the dirt pathways (the island was in the middle of a storm so the entire island was muddy). When I got inside the cottage I will say I was pleasantly surprised. The pictures don't do the place justice. They don't show that the place is fully stocked with plates/utensils/cleaning supplies along with anything you may have forgotten in last minute packing (sunscreen, aloe, lotion, cold medicine). There were activity books, magazines, books, dvds... anything you could really need. There isn't a stove and that is just fine as there is a microwave, mini fridge, toaster, coffee maker... you can make almost anything so you don't have to eat out at every meal.

I loved staying there and felt very much like I was at home. I would recommend this place to any of my friends considering a Kauai vacation. Also. awesome bonsai trees in the garden that you have a perfect view of. Had coffee out there one morning and was a very content vacationer!

Room Tip: I can only speak for the garden cottage and it was great. I rated sleep quality as 4 stars but that...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Heather A
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
pasadena
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Staying at the Fern Grotto Inn really made this phrase ring true. Stayed in the Canal Cottage A for a week and I only have positive things to say about this place.

- The inn keepers are very friendly and on site most of the time, in the event that they aren't they're always accessible by cell phone.
- A washer and dryer is available for use; which is great b/c this island is like a tropical super duper 24-hour-fitness..between swimming at the beach, kayaking, hiking etc.. Oh and the dirt is red.
-They provide boogie boards, beach chairs, snorkel gear, beach towels and coolers. All you really need are slippers and water shoes - which you can purchase from K-mart or Wal-mart if you don't already have them.
-We didn't use them but they also provide a number of barbeques and one of the best views in the world to enjoy your food.
-This location is the most central to the various sights (as there isn't a continuous highway around the island). It's located right next to the Wailua River, across from the old Coco Palms Resort.
- I noticed that one previous reviewer commented on the presence of giant river roaches and geckos in the room. I'm a huge bug-o-phobe and I did not see a single bug in the room.

Overall we had an excellent vacation experience in Kaua'i and a portion of it is attributed to the wonderful accommodations that the Fern Grotto Inn provided.

Thank you Paul and Nasheen.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed 9 November 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights, we arrived when and didn't get to meet anyone who had anything to do with the property until the night before we left. Paul was ? away, the keys were in the room, we were warned about this by email. We stayed in the Garden Cottage, it is one room with a toilet and shower room sectioned off from the rest of the room. Although the toilet has a door and walls it doesn't have a ceiling, so the top is open to the rest of the room. So you have to be comfortable with the noises and smells your partner might make while going to the toilet.

The room was comfortable but the air con was noisy especially at night. We also found there wasn't any information book and since we didnt meet anyone when we arrived we were unsure about things like laundry facilities. There was a waching machine attached to the big house which we did use but did feel like we might be doing something wrong since we were not sure if it was the ones we should use. When we did meet Paul he did seem suprised that there wasnt an information book in the room.

Otherwise it was a comfortable stay. The road near by is very busy even for a small island, but didnt hear much at night. It was a nice touch to have access to body boards and beach stuff and the garden was nice, we didnt use them but there are plenty of grills/bbq's in the garden.

There is also a 70 dollar cleaning fee, I still find this random, the place was clean but not 70 bucks clean, there was dust in the cupboards and some left over products in the bathroom, including someones used electric toothbrush.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank davepoole
Eugene
Reviewed 5 November 2011

We enjoyed staying in a restful, well-maintained cottage so close to activities as well as being a short walk to authentic Kauai cultural attractions. Paul and his family are considerate inn keepers and have all your vacation needs available.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the River Cottage.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Great central location, a perfect spot for couples. The Inn was comfortable and had everything we needed for a comfortable four day stay. We appreciated the movie and book library in the unit. The kitchenette was well stocked with dishes, pans, and a few condiments.

The bottom line is... this is Inn is a great value!

Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Garden Island Inn
#1 of 11 in Lihue
Kauai Shores Hotel
#5 of 11 in Kapaa
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Fern Grotto Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK