My husband and I stayed at the Kilauea Lodge on our recent honeymoon in (surprise!) the honeymoon suite, #12.
The room itself was very cute and it felt like we were staying in a relative's guest room. We had a fireplace, but no tv or phone (which I don't necessarily consider a bad thing). The room had little extra touches, like wineglasses, firewood and kindling already set up in the fireplace and even an umbrella and flashlight.
The grounds were well-kept, but I agree with other posters who mentioned that the staff wasn't very attentive or helpful. We had made arrangements to arrive at 8 pm, but once we arrived, we found that we had to go through the restaurant to check in. The waitress/hotel clerk seemed almost put out that we were arriving so late, even though we'd informed the hotel that our flight didn't arrive in Hilo until 6:30 pm. We did note the MANY signs asking guests to watch out for the cat--at least they're animal people.
- The room itself was cute, clean, and had little personal touches.
- The grounds are beautiful and lush.
- Breakfast was good and complimentary
- We were literally 5 minutes from Volcanoes National Park, which was the whole reason for going to the east side of the Big Island.
- The staff. They weren't rude, but they weren't very attentive at check in or check out. It wasn't clear for us where to go to check in or check out.
- Volcano Village has absolutely NOTHING to do at night. There are a whopping 3 or 4 restaurants.
- The "curious cat" ended up sneaking into one of our fellow guest's rooms and wouldn't leave for 15-20 minutes. The cat was friendly enough, but some people might not want an unexpected visitor.
Overall, I'd stay here again if we were to revisit the area, but honestly, one visit to the volcano was enough for me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kilauea Lodge is located in the quiet village of Volcano a mile from Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. The Park, home of Hawaii's active volcano Kilauea, offers miles of scenic overlook and trails. Romantic rooms and cottage are available with private bath, towel warmers, central heat and some with fireplaces. The off property homes have full kitchens, gas fireplace, TVs and phones. Full breakfast is included. Hot tub and Wi-Fi available on property. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com so you can book your Kilauea Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kilauea Hotel Volcano
- Kilauea Lodge Volcano