“Hostelling done right”
Review of Holo Holo Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Volcano
Holo Holo Inn
San Francisco, California
“Hostelling done right”
Reviewed 13 December 2011

The owner has been a backpacker himself, so he knows what people are looking for in a hostel.

Close to attractions without breaking the bank -check (in this case HVNP)
Clean -check
Use of full kitchen -check
Social and friendly -check (though there weren't many guests when I stayed)

On top of that, internet is free -very nice bonus

There is a fairly long lockout, even for a hostel. But whatever. I didn't come to the Big Island to stay in my room.

I usually stay in a private room, and this one was nice -recently remodeled with wood panelling, making it look more like a rustic B&B than a hostel room. The bed was fine. Spacious ensuite bathroom with towels and soap provided.

Happened to be there on Thanksgiving. I didn't think restaurants would be open, but that's why I bought some food and stayed in a hostel. What I didn't expect, however, was the hostel owners cooking all the guests a major Thanksgiving feast! That was truly above above and beyond the call of duty. Awesome family!

My only issue was that they keep the place COLD! Even the shower was no refuge. The water wasn't so cold that I wanted to get out, but it was lukewarm enough that I didn't want to linger. The second night, however, I asked for a space heater, which was readily provided, and life was really good after that. I would've stayed more time had I known the place was so nice.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Nice hostel run by endearing Japanese family. Cleaner than the usual hostels. The innkeeper's children (under 6 y.o.) were super-cute, however, the cat was kind of annoying. Beware: There are a few quirky rules, but these were easy to abide.

Room Tip: Dorm rooms are the deal. Not co-ed however.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank seafloorscott
Kentucky
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I stayed here for nearly three weeks with a group of 15 students. As an older member of the group, I had a private single room, while the students had shared rooms (4-6 per room). My room was excellent, with a nice ensuite bath, attractive wood paneling, two nightstands, and a small table and chair. This was pretty deluxe compared to other hostels that I have stayed in. Clean towels were provided daily and sheets weekly;soap, shampoo, and a hair dryer were also provided. There is a comfortable lounge area with several sofas, a television, and an assortment of books. The kitchen has a stove, refrigerator, microwave, toaster, coffeepot, rice cookers, and a large assortment of cookware and dishes. With a large group staying there for a relatively long time and keeping to the same schedule, the refrigerator was very crowded and there was congestion in trying to use the stove; under normal conditions, I suspect that this would not be a problem. Also, space for storage of nonrefrigerated food would have been nice. Laundry facilities are available and cost less than the laundromat in town. The owners are friendly and kind, but unobtrusive. Their two young daughters have the run of the place and are fun to be around, as is their friendly cat. I almost felt like family with them, as the little girls would wave to me when I saw them at the weekly farmers' market. Note that, as in many guesthouses and homes in Hawaii, shoes are not worn indoors here. The only caution I would give is that a rooster crows early in the morning every day. If you are traveling on a budget and want to be close to the national park, this is an excellent place to stay. I recommend it very highly.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank KYProf
Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 August 2011

I really enjoyed my stay at the Holo Holo Inn. There weren't many guests the night my friend and I were there. We booked two beds in a dorm room, and there were two other women in our shared room. The shared bathrooms were really nice, and there was a nice quiet lounge room upstairs above the entry way that I loved. The kitchen was big and had a computer for emailing, etc. I had to park in the lot of the building next to the Holo Holo, but it was a ten second walk to the hostel. It just could have used better lighting (or carry a headlamp on you like I did). I would definitely return to the Holo Holo!

Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank RunsAmok
Montreal
Reviewed 15 July 2011

My cousin and I booked two nights at the Holo Holo Inn in June 2011. Our main wish was to stay close to the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, and the Inn certainly WAS close (only a few minute drive). The Website described the Inn as a Hostel/Budget Inn, but we thought it was so much more than that. We arrived in the evening and were greeted by the owner and one of his lovely daughters. He gave us a quick tour of the common rooms, explained how everything worked and showed us our room. We payed a $10 deposit to have our own key, but we soon saw that it was not all necessary. The area seems very safe, and all of the guests were families, couples or excited hikers like us! We had a comfortable and convenient private room with private bathroom, and it was much more clean than some B&Bs we stayed at elsewhere on the island..! There are two general stores close by where its possible to buy food, so we were happy to be able to cook a little and take a break from restaurant food (especially since we were disappointed by all of the restaurants we tried in that area). I would go back anytime!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank bibistylee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Volcano
0.8 km away
1.4 km away
Aloha Crater Lodge
Aloha Crater Lodge
#13 of 31 in Volcano

Been to Holo Holo Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK