All reviews guest house great ocean views ray hammocks frogs hosts rainforest privacy amenities accommodations hilo hawaii island
Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

What a trip! We arrived late at night in the middle of a monsoon. Ray was very accommodating. A tree had been blown over the road so we had had to find an alternate route. We had a rental but it handled the gravel roads and pot holes well! The hammock was surprisingly comfortable. The rain on the cabana roof was deafening and when that quit the frogs were crazy loud! You are in the rainforest here. We loved the rain head shower and view to the outside. A real experience. We loved it but don’t go expecting luxury! It is a hike to the washroom and it does rain a lot on that side of the island. We had a gorgeous sunny day after the rain storm which was amazing and made everything so much better. Ray and his wife Judy were great company. Price was right and it was an adventure!

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

My family and I stayed in two cabanas late August. Robbie, the gueshouse's host, was super friendly and accommodating. The property was lush and beautiful, and our two cabanas had great ocean views. Facilities for outdoor and indoor cooking were available, and there were two bathrooms in the main house available for use. The mosquitoes definitely ate at me, so I had to spray often to avoid getting bites. Other than that, it was a comfortable place to stay at with a lot of interesting areas to venture off to for the day. Hilo is about 15 minutes south making it convenient to get groceries and supplies. Great stay!

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2017

Well as you probably know already if looking for accomodation in Hawaii, everything is crazy expensive. Hamakua is probably the cheapest option available. I stayed there 5 days in Bed and Breakfast type and it was an excellent choice. Rob is very welcoming and superhelpful with anything you need. The location of the guesthouse is good also, 20 minutes drive to Hilo and in the nice area of Hawaii, far from those thematic-park style resorts in Kona coast where everything costs a fortune. For breakfast Rob will give you a voucher to use it in some cafes in town. The house itself has everything you need: Full kitchen, 2 bathrooms, outdoors kitchen, wifi...it is very quiet and clean. Overall an excellent experience. 100% recommendable

Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 7 June 2017

This was an amazing Bed and Breakfast! I stayed here 1 night with my boyfriend. We got to pick papaya from a papaya tree. See a beautiful sunrise when we woke up. Hear the beautiful sounds of the rainforest. We even got to go to the town that was nearby to pick up breakfast from the locals. Our host Matt was super cool, polite and informative. I highly recommend this place!!

Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2017

We stayed there 3 nights. It was a lovely place, in the middle of Nature, view on the ocean. I never slept in Hammock and it was great. The place is cheaper than an hostel in town and there is everything you need, it is clean, you live outside, so easy on the island. I recommend it strongly.

Date of stay: April 2017